Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
I have one of those grey market Mitsibushi picked it up for a good price manuvers great it is not for farming per say buts runs a tiller a plow post hole auger and a box along with a bush hog. It does a freat job on saplings. It paid for it self today they pulled a trailer out from down the street I asked the owner if she wanted to sell a newer 8x12 shed (one of those prbuilt ones that are over priced) she has me if I ha a bush hog I nodded she said I could have anyting off the property I i would hog it an P/u the trash from the trailer removal mosty viynl skirting. There we 2 other sheds small not as nice but they will work for chickens and lawn tools. There was also a 1988 chevy dually that started right up . SO can we say score, Never mind a ton of blocks 125' 200 amp service wire bunch of landscape timbers. We need to get the junk picked up and finish the job in the AM
I also have my JD 450B that is just about put back togheter I am hopping to sell that and pick up an Older TLB

Wow,that was quite a deal!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinok View Post
I have one of those grey market Mitsibushi picked it up for a good price manuvers great it is not for farming per say buts runs a tiller a plow post hole auger and a box along with a bush hog. It does a freat job on saplings. It paid for it self today they pulled a trailer out from down the street I asked the owner if she wanted to sell a newer 8x12 shed (one of those prbuilt ones that are over priced) she has me if I ha a bush hog I nodded she said I could have anyting off the property I i would hog it an P/u the trash from the trailer removal mosty viynl skirting. There we 2 other sheds small not as nice but they will work for chickens and lawn tools. There was also a 1988 chevy dually that started right up . SO can we say score, Never mind a ton of blocks 125' 200 amp service wire bunch of landscape timbers. We need to get the junk picked up and finish the job in the AM
I also have my JD 450B that is just about put back togheter I am hopping to sell that and pick up an Older TLB
WOW! Needless to say that I'm absolutely GREEN with envy!

Congratulations on getting the opportunity to "scrounge" up some really good stuff. Scrounging is one of my favorite pasttimes, but it's rare for it to be more than getting a few free pallets and things along the same line. Sounds like you hit the motherload. I'm happy for you!

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 PM

JD, I love them all though. I didn't know how much life could be so much better untill I got my first tractor. It was an old 9N with a trip bucket. I went through a lot of tractors untill two years ago when I bought my first new one. A JD diesel
Old 07-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Inactive Member

Default 4000 Ford.........

I have a 4000 Ford (diesel) w/ 5' bushhog, reg. and box scrape blades, tater plow, subsoiler, single and double turning plows, cultivator, lay off plow, boom pole, carry-all, etc...... Still need a few more attachments, ie... disk harrow, auger, etc...... My wife and I have a little farm in the middle of nowhere here in NC. Trying to get all our ducks in a row so we can live off the farm and quit public work pretty much all together. At least cut back to a part time job at the most. The old 4000 Ford is a vital part of our place. Penty of power for plowing, logging, clearing, etc......... Got it and most of the epuipment 7 years ago at a good deal and wouldn't take anything for it, LOL...... Ken
Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

We have a Cub/Yanmar 2400 SCUT.
I'm quite amazed what this liitle tractor will do.

Also an old Huber maintainer/grader. Don't use it often but it can be quite useful.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM

ford 3000 and ford 3400 65-75.

the 3000 is a straight agricultural model.

the 3400 is sort of an industrial model having a front end loader and an easily attached backhoe attachment.

they are both three cylinder gas engines. i understand the design started out as a deisel and ford converted em to gas. huge cylinders and they dont like a sudden load, but if ya bring a load in slow, they will lug like nobodys bidness!

i also have a john deere but i dont consider that a tractor.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyshaman View Post

i also have a john deere but i dont consider that a tractor.
HA HA HA, me too AND me too! lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 AM

I'm looking for a John Deere 430 and some all fuel pistons for it. I know I will lose horsepower, but I will be able to burn almost anything I want such as thinned down waste oil in it. It will drop down to about 23hp. That sure beats 2 horse power and walking up and down a field all day!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:03 PM

I have a Mahindra. Bought a used backhoe attachment a while back. Very versatile attachment
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 AM

I have a 50s model ford 600 stearing section needs to be replaced
Old 11-28-2010, 02:24 AM

Im going to get an 8N. Had a 9N, all wore out. Had footpegs, this was before ford figured out that hurts when ya slip.
My brother has 5 farmalls. He's a fahmah. He shares, tho.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
9N ford , $1100 initial investment. Came with Dailmer-Benz 2 -bottom plow, tire chains, grader blade, draw bar w/stabilizers and stay chains, and rear scoop/bucket.

That was 20 years ago.

Have added a 5ft brush hog (new 1990 $500) , 6ft disc and spring tooth harrows (used $300).

That was 20 years ago. I put new rear tires/rims on it, replaced the manifold, genny/starter and redid the wiring (about $1000).

So $2900/20 years = $145 per year, that dose not cover gas/oil/tuneups

And it will brush hog all day on a 7 gal tank of fuel, does not use any oil, and I can fix almost anything with a adj. wrench and a screw driver.

That right there is why I need a 8/9 N .....
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 AM

I have a kioti dk40 with a FEL. 6' brushhog, boxblade and disc. Have had it for a year and a half now with 170 hours on it. Has been a good tractor so far. First tractor for me and am learning a lot.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:14 AM

I have a 52 John Deere B, a 49 Minneapolis Moline UTIL, a 47 Uber road grader, and a frankenstien combination of a 64 and 59 International Track Loaders. All of them need some help, but I like rusty junk. Can't say the same for my wife he he
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM

We have 2000 Ford New Holland 3930 with a front end loader, 5' bush hog, 5' box blade, 12" post hole auger, 5' disc and a 5' tiller.
I love it, and it even has one of those protective canopies. It is a pleasure to operate and we use it for pulling up old posts to hauling fire wood and everything else in between.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 PM

Default Tractor

Great thread! I have a early 70's Duetz. It has been in the family since 73. It's got about 3000 hrs on it. My dad started having some grinding noise in the tranny and parked it for 3 years. He bought a new JD5103 to replace it.
He was going to give it away, so I took it and had it looked at. We have a Duetz dealer about 30 miles from here and they found a throwout bearing practically in peices.
They were able to find the parts, well at least very close, to replace the throwout bearing, clutch, and pressure plate. They also resurfaced the flywheel. The pressure plate they used is slightly different from the original and is hard to put the PTO in gear at times. I've got about 30 hours on it since then and it's getting better all the time as it wears in.
I currently have a 12" double bottom turning plow, chisel point cultivator, a 5' disk that I just got last fall. carry all, boom pole, & old New Holland Mowing machine that works. It's been set up to pull with a tractor. Just need to find a set of knives and gander teeth for it.
Need to get a bush hog.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:17 AM
Master Pontificator

Just bought a Kubota B7800 it was a rental unit and is plumbed to the rear and has the backhoe attached. Bought a 5' Landpride box with mechanically controlled rippers.

Its a bit much for my 1 acre but it was a good deal and I really do not want to spend hours and hours moving dirt which is the primary reason why I bought the tractor.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 PM

35 to 85 Masseys are great homestead tractors. So are 8 or 9 N fords, and any little Ferguson I would say they are all the best bang for your buck if buying a used tractor. They're easy to get parts, repair, and will do anything you want it to do.

Sometimes you just live with what you can get. I've got a John Deere B and a John Deere A as well as to 44 Massey Harris's and a TO 30 Ferguson. The latter I couldn't live without. My grandpa bought it new in 1951 and she's a little mighty mite.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 PM

1948 Ford 8N. Got it and a well used bush hog and a back blade from my FIL for $600.

It's not pretty and I've got some work to do to it (something I enjoy anyway) but it sure makes life easier.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:09 AM

Where is that "we need pictures" smiley that you see on some forums ?
I think we need that.............. So........

PICTURES............. WE NEED PICTURES..............

I would be glad to post pictures of my JD........... Soon as I learn how.........

Wyo