Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Where is that "we need pictures" smiley that you see on some forums ?
I think we need that.............. So........

PICTURES............. WE NEED PICTURES..............

I would be glad to post pictures of my JD........... Soon as I learn how.........

Wyo
When you figure it out, let the rest of us know, in the mean time, don't fret it. We've all seen green tractors before. We know how JD people are, they're color blind and think green is the only shade on earth.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
When you figure it out, let the rest of us know, in the mean time, don't fret it. We've all seen green tractors before. We know how JD people are, they're color blind and think green is the only shade on earth.
---------------------------------
So ????????????

(snicker, snicker, chuckle, gefaw, Bwahahahaahaha)

Ok.......... I'll start the bad tractor jokes................

Do you know why they paint some tractors red or orange ?

So you can find them in the tall hay fields where they broke down..........
(sound of whip lash)
--------------------
Next............
Wyo
Old 03-19-2011, 02:47 PM

I have tractor envy. The ground on our property is a bit wet so I am looking for a 50 -60 horse Kubota. Know nothing about tractors so it should be interesting.
I was told Kubota was the best brand name. Is that true?
Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land steward View Post
well, of course it's true - it's a guarantee that EVERY kubota dealer in the country will swear to it -

amassing personal experience with tractors can be a very expensive process - perhaps best to copycat from neighboring tractor owners and operators - identify a number of folks in your immediate area who put a lot of hours on their own tractors and ask where and why they'll be looking to buy their next one -

such advice based upon the local personal experience of others can be priceless - you can pretty much ignore the internet advice you get regarding brands - brand "x" might be the perfect tractor to do some specific task in some specific location - but it might be terrible in another location (especially if you are in the used tractor market) - a wide range of things varying from soil conditions, climate and moisture statistics to dealer proximity and service reputation and even readily available sources of required fuels, etc can be determining factors in deciding on the bestest one for you - don't be shy about asking around - who knows, you might make contact with a neighbor willing to lend or rent you his favorite tractor for a week or two in order to try it and see if it fits YOUR specific needs - just don't break it -

Last edited by MooseToo; 03-19-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM

The color of the tractor in YOUR yard is the least important issue.

Like has been said.....
Your needs, availability of brands and sizes, service, parts, and implements will be the most important factors to consider when you write the check.........

KnowwhatImean

Good luck
Wyo
Old 03-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land steward View Post
I have tractor envy. The ground on our property is a bit wet so I am looking for a 50 -60 horse Kubota. Know nothing about tractors so it should be interesting.
I researched for several years before purchasing the perfect tractor to do everything for me. After working as a field mechanic and service tech in the construction field for several years I had my eyes opened a bit. I have had more experience than I really wanted with repairing the newer offerings of some companies out there that have chosen to live off their reputation rather than living up to it.

Partial list of needs:
Didn't want to buy a forklift so it needed to be something big enough to lift a fully loaded 4,000 lb pallet of whatever I needed to load/unload.
Didn't want to buy a mini excavator, so it needed to be a backhoe that could reach down/out past 10 feet that could be operated from the same seat.
Didn't want to buy a skidsteer, so it needed to be something that could use the same kind of attachments up front and still be nimble at turning.
Didn't want to buy a big heavy truck just to pull a super heavy machine if I need to move it to another location for side work or favors, so it needed to be something I could pull safely and legally with a 3/4 ton pickup and a 12-14,000 lb gvw trailer.
Didn't want to buy a separate farm tractor, so it needed to have a removable backhoe with 3 point attachments.
Didn't want to buy a machine that was made from mostly parts sourced from foreign factories NOT OWNED by the manufacturer that often close down/lose a contract and cease to deliver parts, so it needed to be a machine that is almost completely made in house with the exception of rubber components.
Didn't want to buy a machine that didn't have a good dealer close by, so it needed to have a local dealer that had been in business long enough to know they will still be there if I need them.
Didn't want to be fighting/frustrated with simple engineering rectal cranial inversions that could have easily been avoided, so it need to be made with some common sense from the view of a mechanic more than a number cruncher.
Didn't want to be repairing machine on a regular basis due to low quality parts with a high rate of failure, so it needed to be reliable.
Didn't want to be going broke keeping it running, so it needed to be efficient.
Didn't want to ever go through this process again, so it needed to be good enough to last me a very long time.

There is more, but it is unnecessary as I thought I may already be asking for too much from one machine, but it turns out I wasn't. Bottom line, I narrowed the options down to a John Deere 110tlb, a JCB I forgot the model number to, and either a Kubota L48 or M59.

After spending almost a year just researching those machines, the only tractor that met every single need on my list turned out to be the Kubota M59 TLB. I bought it used with 69 hours on it and it is the most expensive thing I own besides my property, but it has already almost paid for itself in less than two years with everything I have done so far if I had to rent a separate machine for everything that I couldn't have done with just one of anything else. For much less than the price of a new one I have 4,000 lb lift capacity forks/receiver hitch for trailers/bale spear, 1 yard heaped bucket that doubles as a sweet snowplow, 12 ft backhoe with 8,000 lbs of force and hydraulic thumb as well as a hydraulic back blade that works almost as well as real road grader. Oh, and the homemade hydraulic log splitter! I absolutely love this machine and it still has room for expansion. I can see a front grapple post hole auger or T-post pounder being a useful addition pretty soon.

Here are some pics of one of my best investments ever.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:57 AM

I have a Ford 3550 Industrial with a 735 loader . Also a Satoh Beaver 373D which I use for anything that can be done with a 17.5 horse diesl . The Beaver will do the same as the old gas engine Ford on about 1/10th the fuel . All of the Japanese tractors are serious workers and fuel sippers .When I grade my very long and hilly driveway it takes 7 to 8 gallons of gas with the Ford and only 1/2 gallon of diesel with rthe Beaver to do the same job . The Beaver is much lighter but with the 4WD it will pull almost as much as the much bigger Ford. As for Kubota being the best , I would take any of the Japanese tractors but stay away from the Chinese stuff . They got a long way to go in the tractor field . My neibor soends more time working on his and trying to find parts than he does working the Chinko piece of sh!t.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Lets see. I got on a Ford kick a few years back. Figured it would be easier to have a tractor per implement. That way I can spend more time in the seat and not on the ground changing stuff out.
1946 8N
1955 641
1957 641
1955 841
1958 871

3 FELs (not installed)
2 bottem disk plow
2-14 bottom plow
boom pole
mid buster
7 ft drag blade x2
7 ft box blade
8 ft brush hog
5 ft brush hog
3pt carry all
28 in cordwood saw

But the tractor I use most is the 86 hp Yanmar with the FEL with bucket, hay spike and grapple. And soon to have a 10 ft brush hog.

The 2 671s are in varius stages of repair. The 841 caught fire twice last year and I wasnt even home. The 8N has a 6 ft woods belly mower on it. It is my lawn mower. But it is also the next one going into the shop. I was able to get my hands on a 94 cu in Merc flat head V8. So she will get a shot of paint, new crome and about double the HP. and remain the lawn mower. I like toys, but they need to be useful... which is why I have mules and not horses

Last edited by opsrto; 07-16-2011 at 06:55 AM. Reason: cause I cant spell
Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 PM

Mahindra 4025 (40 HP, 31 HP on the PTO), 2 wheel drive with loader.

'53 Ford gas powered. Bigger than an 8N, smaller than a Jubilee. Has a loader and became sidelined when the Mahindra took over as the 'main' tractor.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM

Mine is a JD 4100. The smallest compact JD makes. 4-wheel drive with a 1 liter 3 cyl. yamar diesel. Bucket w 700# lift, 54" snowblower, 54" mower and a 4' drag. It replaced my JD 140 with 48" mower and mounted tiller ten years ago. Life is much easier.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:14 PM

HH

CONGRATS on your new JD.

Do you have gear or Hydro ?

If hydro, it will be in about the same class as the 755 series tractor. I have an 855. Next size bigger and 24 hp.

You will find it is a brute for it's size and weight. I think most of the complaints people have about this size tractor is that they are trying to do work at the same rate as a 3 ton tractor with a 1 ton tractor.

It will do the same work, just not as fast or in as big a bites as a bigger tractor.

Enjoy

PICTURES............ WE NEED PICTURES.......
Old 07-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
HH

CONGRATS on your new JD.

Do you have gear or Hydro ?

If hydro, it will be in about the same class as the 755 series tractor. I have an 855. Next size bigger and 24 hp.

You will find it is a brute for it's size and weight. I think most of the complaints people have about this size tractor is that they are trying to do work at the same rate as a 3 ton tractor with a 1 ton tractor.

It will do the same work, just not as fast or in as big a bites as a bigger tractor.

Enjoy

PICTURES............ WE NEED PICTURES.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
Mine is a JD 4100. The smallest compact JD makes. 4-wheel drive with a 1 liter 3 cyl. yamar diesel. Bucket w 700# lift, 54" snowblower, 54" mower and a 4' drag. It replaced my JD 140 with 48" mower and mounted tiller ten years ago. Life is much easier.
Gentlemen,

You bring back memories. In 1979-1981 I was the Factory Program Manager at the John Deere Waterloo Tractor Works for Utility Tractors.

The JD 850, 950 and 1050 tractors were my babies to coordinate the manufacturing of US produced opitons for those tractors and cocodinating the Marketing Introrduction. Later the JD650 & JD 750 were brought into the product line. At that time those units were manufactured in Japan to JD specification and tested in the US. Power steering, Loaders, Backhoes and Box Scrapers were designed and manufactured in the US.

The JD855 is a later series and the 4100, I have no idea where it is assembled. Maybe Georgia or North Carolina, I've been retired for 20 years and haven't kept up with the products.

Thanks for the memories.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM

FANTASTIC JR
Always neat to run into someone who is in the know of things.
Now........... Old Buddy.......... If you know where I can get a nice #7 back hoe with mounting frame.......... for cheap............
A little eye candy....
---------
Oh... Snap.......... web site conplaines the files are too big. I don't know how to fix that.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:02 AM

I am not a huge fan of the color of tractors, I just LOVE tractors.

We have had them all, Fords, Farmall's, John Deere's, Kubota's, and New Holland's...they all have done well in reality. I say that because we have always worked them for every horsepower then had and put them in places no tractor was ever designed to go, but that is farming.

My favorite tractor right now has got to be Big Blue, a 9684 New Holland that is amazing to run, but I will tell you, it is not the most practical. Yeah it can move lots of snow, push up and pack the silage piles and disk 10 acres in 15 minutes, but most of our equipment is not sized for it yet.

A few years ago I got to run a smaller tractor, a 8730 Ford on a new farm we now lease. Years ago we used to custom hay that field with a 140 hp Massey Ferguson 2wd tractor and worried on the steep hillside we would slip on a cow turd and end up going backwards since we had a haybaler and hay wagon on behind it. My Uncle shook his head with amazement as I plowed up that 15% grade, pulling a 7 bottom plow behind me just watching the sod roll off. Tractors have come a long way.

Which one is best...I have no idea. I had some great memories on a John Deere 1010 bulldozer which we had all growing up, but I got a lot done with a 850C John Deere Dozer as well, along with a 450 John Deere Dozer and a Caterpillar D-4...same thing with the wheeled tractors....silage choppers, and wheel loaders...it is the memories of what was done with them that is special. They all had their place.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
FANTASTIC JR
Always neat to run into someone who is in the know of things.
Now........... Old Buddy.......... If you know where I can get a nice #7 back hoe with mounting frame.......... for cheap............
A little eye candy....
---------
Oh... Snap.......... web site conplaines the files are too big. I don't know how to fix that.
Wish I could help. My first day of retirement was April 1,1993. I never looked back. You have to be a farm boy with tractors in your blood to want to keep up with the product. They've got compurters, GPI and so much other stuff programed into the equipment now it makes my head swim. I don't know how they can train anyone to trouble shoot and repair the stuff. Like I said,"memories".
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM

After 20+ years of running a Ford 9N I have added a late model Ford 2000 (3-cyl gas w/PS and diffy lock).

A lot more tractor, but, A LOT MORE TO WORK ON TOO. And that is a circa 1974.

I pity the folks who have to work on the newer Chit.

On my N all I need is a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench. It runs a 5-ft brush hog all day on less than a 7-gal tank of gas, strarts to plow snow on +ground 6V system at -10oF , and the tools in the supplied toolbox are all I need to work on it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM

I rented some big dozers this year to get some land clearing done and I had a dozer go down and ended up talking a lot to their mechanic.

They just bought a huge excavator...brand new and put a rock hammer on it. Within 3 weeks, the vibration had blown every circuit board on the machine...a $270,000 dollar machine. When they called the manufacturer of course they said, "well you should not have put it on our machine because its not rated for it", yet when he called the hammer manufactuer they said, "hammers vibrate the machine they are on", so they were in a quandary; a massive machine, expensive and completely shot. I am not sure if their insurance will pay or not, but either way the bill is going to be high.

As a side note; I watched the mechanic calibrate the dozer I rented and it was pretty scary. For 20 minutes the computer on that machine ran the bulldozer completely, complete with back and forth movements, throttle, blade orientation and all three travel speeds...forward and back and all without operator input...and that was a 1997 machine! It is scary that the new ones will do even more than that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J R Adams View Post
Wish I could help. My first day of retirement was April 1,1993. I never looked back. You have to be a farm boy with tractors in your blood to want to keep up with the product. They've got compurters, GPI and so much other stuff programed into the equipment now it makes my head swim. I don't know how they can train anyone to trouble shoot and repair the stuff. Like I said,"memories".