BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Member Websites

Member Websites Websites, blogs, videos, and home-based and other businesses of qualifying Forum members. Posting is restricted to Confirmed Members. See FAQ inside.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Default new vid: honor system front yard market

Jasmin and Lonnie of Bellingham, Washington talk about their honor system market booth in their front yard. It sounds like it has had great success.

And then Jasmin takes me on a tour of her rather massive garden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXm-AWofLU

In other news, for each thing I post here, there are probably five new things that I don't. If you like my stuff and want to get everything, please sign up for my email thing:

http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

That's nice that there are places where people can do that, still. I know of a small grocery store in the UP of Michigan, where I am from, that is run by someone who is a Seventh-day Adventist. The store is far away from all but a very small populated place, where I suppose everyone knows everyone else, and it's not on a road that people generally pass through on the way to somewhere else. There are a lot of hunting camps in the area though, and hunting season is the only time of the year that the store sees a lot of customers who aren't from there. On Saturdays, during hunting season, the store is left open and unattended, with a container for people to leave their money is. The container itself is open so that people can make change. I asked the guy once whether anyone ever took advantage of it. He said that it has happened but that, more often than not, his receipts are more than his sales, since no one wants to be caught with his hand in the jar making change, so they leave a ten, a twenty or two twenties, rather than fishing change out. I'm thinking that his taxes must be a chore, though, since he'd have to do a full inventory in order to figure out what he had sold. My brother told me that the store is still open and unattended on Saturdays during hunting season.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM

Default honor system

I sell a product online. Customers have the option to check out using various third-party money-changers (paypal, etc). Many of them call me and want to give me their credit card. Nope. Don't take them personally, would not in a million years give my information to someone over the phone, and I darned sure don't want the responsibility of having their information. So what do I do?.... I tell them I will mail the product and include an invoice and a return envelope. More times than not, I am met with stunned silence. Then stammering, while they try to assimilate that someone in this world is willing to trust them.

Have I been taken? at least once....but all they got was my product, they did not get my most valuable asset, trust.

Life is good, blessings are many.

Be well,

Billie
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

When I lived and worked in NJ, honor system road side stands were common. Mostly for veggies, flowers and blue berries .
Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 AM

Around here people will simply set out things they can't use anymore, and if anyone needs it they can have it. And it's pretty much everything you can think of -- clothes, furniture, lawn furniture, desks, beds --

The only thing everyone has to make sure and do is not set anything out on trash day so the trash man won't get the goodies you are giving away.

There was even a free car once. A minister had an older car that was in good working order to give away to someone who really needed a car. The only condition was that whomever got the car, passed it on to the next needy person who needed a car after they got back on their feet.

That car had quite a number of people watching it's history and it really did renew our faith in our fellow men. Not one person abused the car or the conditions. Don't know whatever happened to that car, but if there's a car heaven, it belongs there!