Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Member Websites

Member Websites Websites, blogs, videos, and home-based and other businesses of qualifying Forum members. Posting is restricted to Confirmed Members. See FAQ inside.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Default raising chickens 2.0: no more coop and run

I just uploaded my second podcast about raising chickens. This one is basically a recording of a presentation I was giving.

Both podcasts are based on my article about raising chickens:

http://www.richsoil.com/raising-chickens.jsp

This is a little more than half of my chicken presentation at the missoula public library. My recording contraption croaked while I was talking about predator stuff.

This podcast and many other of my podcasts, make full use of the beautiful english language. Some folks that choose to be offended by words should probably skip all of my podcasts.

http://www.richsoil.com/permaculture...-presentation/

Here is my earlier chicken podcast:

http://www.richsoil.com/permaculture...-003-chickens/

Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 AM

I have been reading your site, enjoying it very much! I do have a chicken coop, but will be letting them free range about 5 hours a day when I get home from work. also my sons love catching bugs, man there loaded for bear trying to get bugs for the chickens, IM pretty sure the chickens will be eating lots and lots LOL, I hope Im doing things right, I will have to give them a large chicken run, but will also be making sure my chickens get plenty of fresh greens, and fresh bugs. lots or free ranging on the weekends to! not the ideal way, but in the city and me working its going to have to work. what is paddocks? Im still trying to figure that one out

Last edited by karlamaria; 05-03-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlamaria View Post
I have been reading your site, enjoying it very much! I do have a chicken coop, but will be letting them free range about 5 hours a day when I get home from work. also my sons love catching bugs, man there loaded for bear trying to get bugs for the chickens, IM pretty sure the chickens will be eating lots and lots LOL, I hope Im doing things right, I will have to give them a large chicken run, but will also be making sure my chickens get plenty of fresh greens, and fresh bugs. lots or free ranging on the weekends to! not the ideal way, but in the city and me working its going to have to work. what is paddocks? Im still trying to figure that one out
ok, got to the part with the paddock.... very interesting ! but tell me, why not coop them up for the night, then put them in different parts of the yard each week durring the day. by this I mean its safe to coop them at night, but paddock then durring the day and allow them to enjoy a large part of the yard each week by letting the grass grown for the week, then move them onto a new spot the next week. and the coop to keep them safe durring the night. sounds like the perfect idea. unless you have preditors as I do ( hawks) also with the chickens in this paddock, how in montana will my chickens stay dry or out of the bad weather? im enjoying your site, much info there
Old 05-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Master Pontificator

I don’t get how someone like me… or you…. in the frigid north…. could go it without a coop/hen house or at the very least…. some sort of an outbuilding our birds could get into like a barn and still expect to have so much as one egg left to scramble…. weather can be beyond harsh where I live and there’s flat out too many predators milling around waiting for an easy meal. Ya… raptors are out there for me too but it’s the night crew killing off chickens around here anytime they’re provided with opportunity that would be the end of my little flock. I found some info on “permaculture” chicken paddock systems and it’s sounding an awful lot like a spin-off of a tried and true rest-rotation system, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMoonMsd50. Looks like the concept is to have several different “runs” in a paddock “system” planted with yummies chickens like to eat. Chickens have at the leafy green goodness and bugs in one “run” while letting the others rest. Once the “run” they’re in starts looking like it’s seen better days…. chickens are moved into another “run/paddock” and then onto the next and the next until they’re back to the 1st run/paddock where everything planted for the chickens has grown back. Cut a chicken door in each side of your stationary coop then section off your back yard and rotate which section of your backyard you let your birds into based on which door you leave open and you’ll done have yourself an o-fish-uhl permaculture paddock system. Just kidding but you get the idea. Rotational grazing has been practiced for centuries… something old is new again. I went with one big run that’s about 75x 50 for my 10 egg layers. I liked the idea of a chicken tractor for my meat birds and my particular site. Meat birds need protection from predators but since they go to “freezer camp” long before winter winds start kicking in and snow starts hitting the ground …. there’s no need to provide them with a coop. The tractors can be scooted to fresh bugs and green goodness leaving the rest of the yard for us with no fencing. I found a blurb on Salatin’s spin-off of a rest-rotation system. I don’t think this guy’s a permaculturist but here’s some poster from another forum that explains what’s working for him, http://back40forums.com/index.php?topic=289.0
Quote:
Many of you are familiar with Polyface Farm or have read about it in Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dillema". The eggmobile was made popular by Polyface farmer Joel Salatin and has been copied by many. There are lots of ways to make one, but the premise is that you have a mobile hen house that accommodates a few hundred laying hens, and you rotate the eggmobile daily to a spot that the cows grazed 3-4 days previously. The hens stay in the eggmobile at night, protected from predators. During the day, the eggmobile is opened and, like miniature wobbly soldiers, the hens march out and immediately devour grass. If you didn't think that chickens like grass, think again. It's the first thing they'll eat on our farm given the choice.

The hens of course kindly deposit prodigious amounts of fertilizer on our pasture, and help the cows reduce/eliminate parasites by foraging for larvae and insects that bother the cows. This provides protein for the hens and earns them praise from the cows.
There’s some photos at that last link and more information… I ‘spose we can always dream of having more land and…. more livestock. If I had the space and more money to buy more than chickens and rabbits, I’d probably go the “Polyface Farm” rest-rotation route. Anywho…. I think all of this “no more coop and no run” was painting with pretty broad brush strokes since it depends…. depends on a lot of variables like…. what region of the US we’re raising chickens in whether we can forgo providing them with shelter from the elements or not…. what kind of predators are lurking in the shadows…. what breeds of chickens we have…. what other livestock we have if any…. how much land we have…. how much time we have…. how much money we have so that’s probably why there’s so many spin-offs of the many grazing systems identified in the mid 1900’s.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 AM

wait the paddocks are actually a fenced in area, whats the difference between a paddock and a run ? and whats a micro coop?? A coop is a coop right??? Im not understanding ?? What you are saying is pretty double minded. Can you explain what you really mean by no more coop and run?? seems like you are actually using a coop ( micro) and a run ( paddock) Also looks like you have barns for your turkeys etc. Please, I have waited for days for you to comment but you have avoided this thread now altogether. guess I will move on LOL
Old 05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Master Pontificator

karlamaria> I get the distinct impression the member who originally started this thread “flew the coop”…. he left enough “hints” to where he could be found at all the websites and forums he owns and controls so I guess anyone who wants more information is supposed to pack up their cyber bags and register at his forums to “continue” the discussion on his boards with his “experts” where all things “permaculture” might be demystified.
--
For what it’s worth….. I sincerely asked this same member a simple question in another thread he started too. He did not answer my question but instead offered this, “If you follow the sepp holzer link you can see some videos of sepp's work which demonstrates the sort of diversity he advocates.” I wasn’t interested in what some dude living on another continent had to say about North American biodiversty but…. that was the answer I received. You can read the thread in its entirety for yourself if you want, http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...ad.php?t=25051.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
karlamaria> I get the distinct impression the member who originally started this thread “flew the coop”…. he left enough “hints” to where he could be found at all the websites and forums he owns and controls so I guess anyone who wants more information is supposed to pack up their cyber bags and register at his forums to “continue” the discussion on his boards with his “experts” where all things “permaculture” might be demystified.
--
For what it’s worth….. I sincerely asked this same member a simple question in another thread he started too. He did not answer my question but instead offered this, “If you follow the sepp holzer link you can see some videos of sepp's work which demonstrates the sort of diversity he advocates.” I wasn’t interested in what some dude living on another continent had to say about North American biodiversty but…. that was the answer I received. You can read the thread in its entirety for yourself if you want, http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/v...ad.php?t=25051.
LOL flew the coop what ever works for folks is the right answer, everyone has there opinions, but in my mind, if a chicken can move around and enjoy a run , yard or plot of land then that chicken has it made. I love that mine can roam the yard, but this winter there is going to be a run and it will be covered. they will be out side but enclosed .
Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Master Pontificator

I picked up 18 16-foot hog panels and a few more stakes. I'm hoping we can get our run up this weekend. We're going to use wire to attach the hog panels to the stakes and then we're going to add chicken wire to that. I hope that keeps my girls in. We'll see. I might have to clip their wings but I've got heavy breeds so maybe not.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I picked up 18 16-foot hog panels and a few more stakes. I'm hoping we can get our run up this weekend. We're going to use wire to attach the hog panels to the stakes and then we're going to add chicken wire to that. I hope that keeps my girls in. We'll see. I might have to clip their wings but I've got heavy breeds so maybe not.
we did clip our girls for the first time out, but will not be doing it again. we got ours so dang tame that they just stay in one spot lol, they follow us when we walk, sit when we do, climb on the kids and its so funny they ran when neighbors dropped by and run into there house . you have som of my same birds, go ahead and clip its safe.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Master Pontificator

Everybody and their brother keeps telling us to keep our hands off chicks until they're at least 3 weeks of age. Was everyone in your house handling yours from day one that you got them? If so.... I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the "hands off" advice I received and let everyone handle the egg layer chicks. Those are the ones we're going to keep.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Everybody and their brother keeps telling us to keep our hands off chicks until they're at least 3 weeks of age. Was everyone in your house handling yours from day one that you got them? If so.... I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the "hands off" advice I received and let everyone handle the egg layer chicks. Those are the ones we're going to keep.
we took them out of the cage 2 times a day, changed all bedding and food/water and then we held them and talked to them. checked there bottoms 9 make sure to keep there butts clean) no one told me not to handle them, we did and there so lovely. go look at the pictures I posted, you can see we can do anything with ours. there nice pets, / egg layers can not wait until august to see some eggs in there nests.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Master Pontificator

And none of yours died!!! That's it.... I'm lifting the hands off until 3 weeks.