BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default The reason detergent dont clean...

The reason detergent dont clean like it used to is just as I figured. They have removed the phosphates from them. After I looked at this link I checked my automatic dish washer detergent and it is phosphate free as well. Dang!!! and I got a big container at Sams club too. So to combat this when I run the dishwasher I add about a tablespoon of TSP (tri-sodiumphosphate) found in the paint stripper section of your local hardware store. Really good stuff to have on hand. If you make your own laundry detergent and have an especially grimy load of clothes to do, just add about 2 tablespoons to the wash, works great.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...est=latestnews

TSP can be mixed mild enough to do dishes in the sink or strong enough to strip paint, so very versatile product to have on hand.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 PM

I, personally, have a problem with phosphates. Too much can, and has, destroyed our waterway systems by "feeding" algae. Google it. See what I mean?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailshome View Post
I, personally, have a problem with phosphates. Too much can, and has, destroyed our waterway systems by "feeding" algae. Google it. See what I mean?
My wastewater goes directly to a septic system. The grass is nice and green over it, the water stays in our cow pasture and there is no runoff into any local streams, it would be nice if we had the option of phosphates, or phosphate free. I know what I would use if given the choice.

Good info to have, I will be checking into this, thanks so much for sharing!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemt456 View Post
The reason detergent dont clean like it used to is just as I figured. They have removed the phosphates from them. After I looked at this link I checked my automatic dish washer detergent and it is phosphate free as well. Dang!!! and I got a big container at Sams club too. So to combat this when I run the dishwasher I add about a tablespoon of TSP (tri-sodiumphosphate) found in the paint stripper section of your local hardware store. Really good stuff to have on hand. If you make your own laundry detergent and have an especially grimy load of clothes to do, just add about 2 tablespoons to the wash, works great.

TSP can be mixed mild enough to do dishes in the sink or strong enough to strip paint, so very versatile product to have on hand.

Have a great day!

stella
awesome post, I will have to get some!!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:14 AM

Just for what its worth, I had read another article somewhere else not long ago that stated that the phosphates had NOT been taken out of cleaners made for commercial use. Dang I dont have a link either so guess I leave this up in the air. I do use TSP in my dishwasher and in my homemade laundry soap, both of which go into my ceptic system on MY property and I also have beautiful green grass growing on top of the lines. I do on average 1 load of dishes per week, an maybe 2 of laundry. And on 100 acres I dont see a lot of enviromental harm being done. Not to mention the fact that if I use TSP in cleaning I use less water as the items get cleaned the first time around. It all has its pros and cons. But I still wish they hadnt messed with muh Dawn dishsoap.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 06-04-2011, 02:17 AM

Here it is about the same as Mom5farmboys.
I will be giving it a try.
Thanks for the tip Stella
sissy
Old 06-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks, Stella!

You may have just solved a problem for me.

One of our missions at church is to take care of the Fellowship Hall. Every time we have a fundraiser or a meal for the congretation, I have a big load of dishcloths, dishtowels, etc. to wash. Depending on the menu, turkey fryers, trailer type BBQ grills/smokers are fired up. Some of the towels end up turning black from the soot, grease and such.

Last load I did, stopped the washer at the end of the wash cycle and let the items soak with a combo of Clorox and detergent for an hour. Finished the cycle and started all over again with fresh water, this time with another hour soak using Oxyclean and detergent. Still had a few pieces that were designated to the "grill rag box" because they still looked so bad. Too bad for regular kitchen use. (Some ladies think that stained dishtowel is still dirty. )

So, next time, I'm going to add TSP! I keep it on hand for heavy duty cleaning in my shop. Hadn't thought about adding it to the washer. Especially when I have to do those towels again.
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Stella, Thank You for this info. Gotsta get us some TSP...I still use Dawn faithfully, but you are so right...just doesn't clean as good as it used to could, durn it! Gracie
Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 PM

I ran right down to ace hardware and got me a big tub of it, beware there is a fake tsp there also .you want the real stuff. I'm thrilled I found it, my cloths look better again ! Thank you for the info, it made my week!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:51 PM

I appreciate the info as well - been looking for something to wash my walls with that really works since they took the old Spic and Span powder off the market.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemt456 View Post

Have a great day!

stella
Does anyone have any experience with the long term effect of TSP on automatic and front loading washing machines?
Old 06-12-2011, 02:44 AM

JR I have had my automatic washer for about 10 years and it is just fine. ALL of the detergents at one time had TSP in them, the manufactures have just recently taken it out. So if you have a washer or other appliance that has been in use for a few years it has already seen its fair share of trisodiumphosphate. After all if you are adding the TSP yourself you can control how much goes in. I just add about 1/2 cup to a batch of laundry detergent as I make it so its already mixed in and one less thing I got to try and remember when I wash a load of clothes. So that amount is in 6 quarts of laundry detergent so really is not much at all. Hope this helps a bit.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Red face BEWARE!!!!!

I picked up some TSP!!!!!!
Beware!!!!!!!!!! The one I picked up is phosphate free. LOL I did not see that till after I opened it. Now ya know some is phosphate free so look to see what your buying. I'll pick up some the next time I'm in the hardware store.
sissy
Old 06-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy View Post
I picked up some TSP!!!!!!
Beware!!!!!!!!!! The one I picked up is phosphate free. LOL I did not see that till after I opened it. Now ya know some is phosphate free so look to see what your buying. I'll pick up some the next time I'm in the hardware store.
sissy
Yep, when I called ace hardware the guy asked me. Do you want the real tsp or the fake one? Lol good thing he asked, I got the real thing. Laundry is looking great to !
Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm going to go get some today. My husbands work clothes haven't been coming out clean ever sense we bought our front load machines. We thought it was the washer sense it saves water. I hope it works, I was thinking of going to a wringer washer next after Jackies article about them, anything to have clean clothes again.