BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Hello from Central Indiana

Hello everyone I am new here. I grew up on a farm and knew the value of being prepared. I married my wife who lived a mile from the grocery store. She hates it when we get snow because she gets cabin fever way to easy. I am trying to prepare for the future with my wife saying we do not need this or that. Slowly I do things and when she finds out I get the wrath of her. The kids are seeing my point of view and want to be prepared. If anyone else has a simaliar situation and has won the battle please give me the helpful hints. I should say we will be married 25 years in Aug 2011 and I would like the next 25 years to be more prepared for the future.

I am confined to a wheelchair and so is our oldest due to a rare degenarative muscle disease. Having a garden is out of the question as I am not able to do the gardening anymore.

Hope you have a blessed day and please remember to smile.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Welcome fellow Hoosier!! I'm Fred, from a couple miles outside of Spencer, Indiana....in Owen County.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

Welcome Ciderman

You know, it's not that uncommon to hear that one person sees the merit of a prepared lifestyle while the other isn't interested. You see, to recognize the merit of this way of life.. it means changes and investment of time and money. Sometimes folks just don't want to make those changes. I think I would just keep telling your sweetheart that it is because you love them, that you are padding your nest with things ya'll can count on.. be it to see you through a winter storm, or power outage, or whatever kind of life storm we all encounter time to time.. you want to be prepared.

Years ago, my preparations began with a kerosene heater and camping stove because I had wee ones and wanted to make sure they would be fed an warm if a winter storm came thru. I added to my camping gear, to my pantry, extra soaps and soon my husband didn't really notice the extras. He never agreed with me, tho, that this was prudent. He din't want to part with any dollars haha. Now, because of the economy and work becoming difficult to find in construction, he better understands the blessing of preparation.

Just be consistent and remember one can of corn at a time, one new thing learned, day by day you navigate the Journey. It would be wonderful if your wife could read some of what other women are doing here.. maybe it would make sense to her . I just betcha in time she will thank you for your efforts ...

again, Welcome!
Be Strong
~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks Proud_Poppa and the middle daughter is attending Vincennes University.

Thanks Grizzy I have tried to get her to read the BWH Magazines and she has no interest. We had to move 2 in 8 months and when I realized I had nearly 500 cans of canned food she told me no more. We have eaten most of it and now I am back to stock piling one at a time again. It is hard to stock pile when she now works for a grocery and does all the shopping. We do have a fire pit and some charcoal and enough wood to last for while. I am looking into kerosene heater but I remember how badly they smelled from years ago. I have thought about the oiled filled ones but then I would need power. We have plenty of camping gear. I am in the process of making a basement pantry and first to go on the shelves will be TP and soap. We already have tons of beeswax candles as our daughter tried to make a business making and selling them, but it did not take off.

Remeber to smile
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Default Welcome

I also have a wife that is a little difficult when it comes to being prepared. Her excuse is the government won't let it happen or we don't have the money for it.
I can not even fathom those ideas, but without her on board some of the large items are hard to do. I do alot by myself without her knowing, like going through old farmsteads that are going to be demolished or go grocery shopping with my paycheck an get the things (plus extra) that we use and can store.
I use the kids against her when I can. I convinced my 5 year old that she needed chickens and goats. My wife gave in when my daughter begged and begged. NOW we have chickens, goats, and rabbits.
I also take it upon myself to get the kids involved (gardening, chores, wood cutting) and my wife wants to come along and be involved.
I guess you could call me a manipulator, but it is for the good of our family that I do these.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 AM

How cool that you are teaching the kids those skills! I bet they really enjoy it. I'm glad your wife is interested in following you all out into the back yard to tend the animals. Maybe the fire will light in her. Currently, we live in the middle of town, and directly on the main thoroughfare in the middle of town! We do have a bit of a back yard, and it actually would be okay, legally, if we were to get a goat or some chickens. I'm just not sure what our landlord or neighbors would think of that.

I have to admit that it's scary that your wife thinks she can rely on the government. Frankly, I don't trust them as much as she does. Apparently, congress was supposed to be discussing a bill today that would make growing a garden illegal. Bill S-510 was supposed to be voted on today. I'm not sure what happened with it. As far as not having the money to prep, we have it more now than we will if hyper-inflation sets in. Self sufficiency all the way!

Anyway, I'm a BHM babe right along with you and I wanted to say hello.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Howdy Howdy, I too live in Central Indiana!
I sure do appreciate this site, I have learned, so much!!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:04 AM

welcome,,,hate to be late to the welcoming party,,,but none the less welcome,,look forward to your post,,,good luck with the wife
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 PM
Master Pontificator

I am now looking for anyone in Hamilton/Boone/northern Marion counties that can get together and share experiences, and stories. If you are interested please drop me a line. I will respond as soon as I can (which may be a the same day or same week). Thanks