BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWHLover View Post
oldtimer,

As lee stated I can not purchase borax, washing soda, fels soap or lye at any store in my area.

I guess that's one more reason to stay here in SD
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Just picked up a 50 lb bag of soda ash from pool supply store 50 lb for $52 something after taxes.
It was 2.50 lb or 50lb bag for 50 dollars I bit the bullet & got the bag. lol I love bargans
sissy
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Keep that soda ash in a cool dry place and in an airtight container. If a little humid air gets into it, it will get lumpy.

We always used it to soften our water when washing clothes, especially when using home made soap.

You can also make a quart of Argo boiled laundry starch according to the directions on the box. Mix up a batch of "heavy" starch and while the starch is still hot, stir in a cup of washing soda and allow it to cool. This makes the best varnish remover.. Spread it on with a brush, let it set a bit, and your varnish will come right off. The furniture can be washed with soap and water, it doesn't have toxic fumes and it doesn't hurt your skin, but make sure you wash and wipe the wood after you use it or it will leave a white film. We've refinished every piece of furniture in our house using this varnish remover.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Ok, I am confused. Are you guys/gals buying washing soda or baking soda from pool supplies? What am I missing here?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:29 AM

Here in MI washing soda is no where to be found but I find all my basics in Indiana in the Amish community. I also buy 50lb bags of flour and sugar which everyone laughs at me for getting but they all love my baked goods.
I'll have to check Walmart and ebay for prices to convert my own soda ash.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:17 PM

I posted this on another thread, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

Want washing soda? That's sodium carbonate. Go to one of the stores that has "dollar" in the name (Dollar General, Dollar Store, etc) and look at the prices for their laundry detergents. The cheapest one (here, the brand is "Xtra") will list the main ingredient as sodium carbonate. That will be 90+% of what's in the box. And it will cost about $0.80 a pound. Pretty much the same price as baking soda, because it's pretty much the same thing. (sodium carbonate, vs sodium BIcarbonate).

It is a good thing to know how to make it yourself from something else, though!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Master Pontificator

Arm and Hammer in bags, 12 lb., at Walmarts, at the garden ctr. less than $7, about 58 cents a lb.. Dollar General sells their version for $1 for a pound. Prolly of a lesser quality.

If you have to ask why, you wouldn`t understand my answer.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:43 PM

That's a good deal, cadet, if your Walmart carries the washing soda. If a store doesn't carry it, it's time to start looking at ingredients in the detergent boxes. The whole point is, just because a box or bag doesn't say "Washing Soda" doesn't mean there isn't some washing soda for sale. Just remember sodium carbonate, and you can find it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM

Where are you looking, bluejae? I live in Michigan, and can get washing soda, borax, fels naptha, bluing and all that stuff right at the grocery store. The local Ace Hardware still has bottle of lye, too.

And I can get bulk sugar, oats, flour, whatever either through the local Mennonite store or the local food co-op.