BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-17-2010, 12:04 AM

Default recoil reducers?

i have a 300 win mag i have just started useing for a competion rifle it is right out of the box no fancy gadgets or anything on it an i want to make something to help with the recoil but i dont know if it will work so i wanted yalls opinoins on it please. i was thinking about tack welding a spring to a washer twice one for the top one for the bottom then drilling a hole the size of the springs in the stock one on the top one on the bottom then i want to run a screw through the washer an screw them inside the holes i drilled after that i want to fix a metal plat underneth the recoil pad an tack weld the springs to that to hold it all together. it all sounds good in my head but i have limited experince with gunsmithing like that an 0 experienc welding so can anyone help me out?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Master Pontificator

Oh, that really sounds weird and bet it would look really, really tacky. Good way to trash a nice rifle. Why not go with a extra length recoil pad?

They are easy to put on. Here's a Swedish Mauser that I worked on. Took off the steel butt-plate, cut to length, and screwed on the recoil pad. I sanded it to fit with a rotory sander mounted in my electric drill.

Getting back to your previous post, why not just reload for it instead. Light starting loads would be about the same power level as a .308/.30-06 and would be much more comfortable to shoot.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Master Pontificator

I would try a LIMBSAVER recoil pad first they are easy to fit and very effective.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
I would try a LIMBSAVER recoil pad first they are easy to fit and very effective.
+1

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Thumbs up

I don't know what kind of target work you're doing but kawalekm's recommendation about handloading is very well-taken. I've been handloading for more than 40 years and in my experience accuracy is found in consistency. Handloading gives you an edge for consistency, because you get to control the degree of consistency that is achieved in crafting your ammunition.

I would recommend that you give the BERGER 155 gr match bullet a try. It is made in three versions and you should try them all.

Lurk around the benchrest forums looking for starting loads for the WIN mag I can't help you, my only .300 Win Mag is a hunting gun a Belgian BAR and I use factory for it.

In .30-06 and 7.62 x 51 I use the 155 Bergers exclusively out to 600 meters in a wide variety of mostly mil surp or mil clone rifles they are some finely crafted bullets very consistant in weight and very concentric.

Matching cases for weight, uniforming primer pockets and flash holes, primers from the same lot, individually weighing each and every powder charge, neck turning for concentricity, consistant seating depth and neck tension all pay off in deliver the tightest groups. Then where you put those bullets is up to you.

For whatever its worth I've found the best accuracyin 7.62 pushing a little over 2800 which is slightly stout for the NATO and more mildly in the 06 but all at just over 2800. YMMV depending on your rate of twist which is I'm guessing around 10" whereas the NATO and 06 use a bit slower at 12.

Ultimately accuracy requires an investment, mostly in time.

Best of luck and enjoy the journey all the fun is in getting there and the things you experience and learn along the way.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Master Pontificator

If this is still that 770, they are notorious for recoil in the magnum calibers. Limbsaver may make a 'no gunsmithing' pre fit version for the 770, but it will still be a very stiff shot in the shoulder.
The BEST route besides reloading, some may argue, is a Shrewd muzzle break. They are not exceedingly loud, and extraordinarily effective. I put 8 of the on 8 Remington Ultra Mags for one customer, and even the 375 UM was a pussycat after installation. Looks nice and can be removed for hunting. However this is going to cost 2/3 of what that rifle cost.
Barring that, pull the existing recoil pad an epoxy a half pound of shot in the buttstock, and a half pound in the forearm. It will make it a lb heavier but it will reduce recoil, the poor man's muzzle break.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:09 PM

I love my Gracoil, east to install if you at all handy with metal working:

http://www.graco-corp.com/products/model-number-gc15r
Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My best friend had an old Enfield 30-06 rechambered and bolt face mod to 300 Win Mag.

Don't remember the stock he put on it. Must have been a Bishop or Faegen. They were the popular sporter stocks at the time.

He drilled a hole (about 1 1/8 diameter and 6-7" deep) and put a shock absorber type of recoil reducer in the cavity. He did a master job of glass bedding and all the tweeks like that at that time. He said the recoil reducer made a world of difference.

The thing shot really well, but I always thought it was brutal to shoot with or without the reducer.

Is there room in a synthetic stock to make a mod like that ?

Good luck
Wyo