BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:32 PM

Default Hello from Alabama

Okay I finally thought I would take a minute to say Hi and introduce myself. I have been lurking in the background for awhile and love reading all the posts.
We moved to our little neck of the woods in Alabama almost 7 years ago and have been learning how to be more self sufficient. Wow! Did I not know what I was getting into. It has been great though, a real learning experience. We have chickens for eggs and meat as well as selling the eggs for eating or hatching. Turkeys for the same. And my DH has pigs. I just like to eat them. We did the goats and ducks but we have a lot of coyotes and they seemed to really like the taste of them. So until I have a better LGD they are back on the back burner. Canning has become a passion and my mother and friends think I have lost my mind but they don't complain when they eat what I have put up.
My Dh is a great support and is always willing to help out at whatever project I decide that we just have to do here on the farm. Two teenagers at home that roll their eyes everytime I want them to help out but they are great kids so I just whack them and they get moving with a smile.Yeah they are so scared. Garden was so so this year. Wilt got all 400 of the tomatoes but the peppers are producing like crazy and peas and beans did well. Okra is unbelievable I can't kill this stuff! How many ways can I put this stuff up???
Well that is me. I am a little crazy and always wanting to learn something new.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Welcome from another Alabama resident. Not a native, only been here about 2 years, but loving it.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:30 PM

We are from West Ga but moved over the line b/c the land prices and taxes were too high in GA. I love it here too. Still have to work over the line but the drive is beautiful so it is well worth it.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:15 AM

howdy briarpatch and welcome.

okra is wonderful stuff, I can it pickled love it. you can freeze it for frying or whatever. I dry lots of it to put in soups stews and gumbo.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and hope to hear more from you.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
We are from West Ga but moved over the line b/c the land prices and taxes were too high in GA. I love it here too. Still have to work over the line but the drive is beautiful so it is well worth it.
We moved from West GA too, my SO still works over the line while I work in Alabama. Living in 2 time zones is tough. Looking for land to buy here but in football county land is higher than the surrounding counties. No homestead yet, but we're going to do a garden in the spring and hopefully buy a place in the next few years.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:09 PM

The 2 time zone thing is tough isn't it. My kids and myself go by Al time but hubby refuses to. He works in W. ga too and says it would mess him up too bad. I only do do Ga time when I'm at work but have to keep switching back and forth. So if we plan anything we have to make sure everyone is clear what time zone we are talking about.
It sounds like we are not to far from each other if you need any help with your future garden let me know we just put up a poly greenhouse so we are playing with it some in the spring and fall...it's too hot for it now.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Welcome from W GA
Old 08-30-2011, 12:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hello, from Maine.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
The 2 time zone thing is tough isn't it. My kids and myself go by Al time but hubby refuses to. He works in W. ga too and says it would mess him up too bad. I only do do Ga time when I'm at work but have to keep switching back and forth. So if we plan anything we have to make sure everyone is clear what time zone we are talking about.
It sounds like we are not to far from each other if you need any help with your future garden let me know we just put up a poly greenhouse so we are playing with it some in the spring and fall...it's too hot for it now.
I will let you know if we need anything or maybe even do a cookout or something. We're moving in October to another rental and plan to start garden prep in February if possible, depending on the weather. We are both total beginners so we're starting small.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:57 PM

Sounds great just message me.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 AM
Inactive Member

Welcome from Oregon
Old 09-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Default Welcome from Oh....

Never been to Alabama, but have some very good friends that used to live there! They loved it & miss it alot! I'd love to get into canning someday....no idea how to get started...lol! Grew some okra in FL a couple of years ago....amazing! It was still producing on into January there! We're growing some broccoli, tomotoes, green beans & some herbs! Have a beautiful Citronella plant! Smells amazing!
Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Welcome & hello from NH.