BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Default Home made candle wicks

Does any one have instructions for home made candle wicks ?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Dang it!! I clicked on this post hoping YOU had a solution for homemade candle wicks!

I'll have to keep my eye on this thread....I've wondered exactly the same thing.

Edited to add: I wonder what the heck they used for wicks before there was stores to buy them??

Last edited by Proud_Poppa; 04-24-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: reflection
Old 04-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Me to.

I do not want to spend my money purchasing commercial wicks if I can learn to make them my self.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Master Pontificator

Well I had hoped this was an instruction on wicks as well and when it was not proceeded to Google "wick making". So one starts with cotton and/or linen string, and then makes it thicker by braiding or square braiding depending on the size of the candle.

From the wicking that I have purchased it looks like butcher's twine/string; so without spinning some linen flax, I would try to go with that. Then it needs to be primed, witch according to the online info is three soakings in a combination of bees wax and paraffin or just bees wax. Then it is well dried and stored in paper. They recommended newsprint.

Personally, I have made a couple of beeswax tappers with purchased wicking. I think I will continue to work my way backwards into the DIY.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:10 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Here are the directions I have saved on my computer and, miracle of miracles, I also saved the link.

How to Make a Candle Wick

The “wick” of a candle is a name for a bundle of fibers that, when braided together, are used to draw oil or wax up into a flame to be burned in a lamp or candle. The word comes from Anglo Saxon “wecca” and Old English “weyke or wicke.”

The wick is hands-down the most important element of a candle. After all, a candle without a wick is just a big block of wax. It acts as a fuel pump in all kinds of candles and supplies liquefied wax to the top, where the flame is produced. On that same note, a wick that has no wax is just a piece of string.

There are three main types of wicks:

(1) Cored wicks are just basic braided wicks with a piece of metal wire in the middle used for sturdiness and to create more heat when burning larger candles. I personally will never burn metal core wicks again after reading about the health hazards. Apparently, they release dangerous amounts of lead into the air and are very unsafe, especially for children.

(2) Flat-braided wicks are mainly used for making tapered candles. They look like a normal braided wick except squished flat.

(3) Square-braided wicks are mainly used for making block candles, which is any candle that is not tapered. In other words, for square or round candles

To get started making a basic braided wick, take 3 strips of heavy cotton string or cotton yarn and soak them in a mixture of 1 tablespoon of salt, 2 tablespoons of boric acid and 1 cup of water for 12 hours. (Or if you prefer, you can use a mixture of turpentine, lime water and vinegar.) Hang them to dry. When dried, braid the three strands together to make a wick.

Be sure to cut the strips into lengths that are four to six inches longer than you want the candles to be. A pair or scissors or a knife will suffice as a trimming tool.

The next step is to prime the wick or wicks. To do this, dip the wick or wicks into hot wax until the wick is completely saturated with wax. You will know when it is saturated because it will start to release bubbles. (Use a small paperclip to dip them so as to not burn your fingers.) Remove them from the wax, pull them tight, and dip them into water, then lay on wax paper. Dab the excess moisture off with a paper towel. Let them dry on the wax paper for at least 30 seconds. For a stiffer wick, it is recommended to repeat this step more than once. Primed wicks can be stored in rolled up newspaper.

General Warnings:

Be very careful when using hot wax. At its boiling point, it is flammable. Never use water to put out a wax fire, as it will just spread the wax and thus spread the fire. Instead, use a fire extinguisher or baking soda to put out the fire.

Always use a double boiler when heating wax.

Always keep children and pets away from the candle making area.
Never pour hot wax down your sink. It will cool there and plug the pipes up.

Don’t leave hot wax unattended, even if in a double boiler.

http://www.essortment.com/hobbies/ca...ingwi_sxlt.htm
Old 10-21-2011, 04:57 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew how wooden wicks are made? Has anyone made a wooden wick candle?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I never heard of them before, so I googled it. Pretty cool! Here's the directions~

Wood wick candles give you the crackle of an open fire in the convenience of a candle. They are wider then traditional braided rope wicks, so they melt the wax faster. This releases your candle's fragrance into the air faster than with traditional candles.

1. Separate the sticks that you are going to use. Lay them on a flat surface not touching each other and allow to sit overnight.

2. Prime your wood wick by heating up wax in a double boiler. Place a paperclip on the end of your wooden wick. Holding onto the paperclip, dip the wick in the wax to coat it.

3. Allow the wax to dry for 30 seconds, and insert it into a metal wick holder.

Tips and Warnings:

Choose hardwood sticks with a slow burning rate. The slowest burning hardwoods are olive, ash, English walnut, walnut and eucalyptus. Only use wooden wick in a jar candle. The wick does not draw in the wax in the same manner a rope wick does. Rather, it creates a steady heat that will make the wax pool around the wick. Purchase woodwick trimmers to trim the burnt end of your woodwick after each burning.

Wood wick candles have a higher flame than rope candles.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5004834_make...s-candles.html

How to make a wick holder~

http://www.howtomakecandles.info/cm_...ID=PROJECT0007

How to make the candles~

http://www.ehow.com/how_4701872_make...k-candles.html