Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Arts & Crafts > Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting/Needlepoint

Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Knifty Knitter

Thought I'd share the beginning of a new adventure and maybe help someone else who can't knit either. The adventure began when I joined the Prayer Shawl Ministry at our church. http://www.shawlministry.com/

Learned to crochet a long time ago, but I hadn't picked up a hook in years. Can't tell you just how rusty my fingers had become. It was almost like learning all over again. Never learned to knit. However, this ministry has sparked interest in it all over again.

To that end, I've bought the Knifty Knitter Looms. When I finish the current crochet shawl (second one I've made), I want to try "knitting" this winter while it's too cold to do much outside. And, as I'm to the age where I know I don't have much longer before I'll have to do more sitting than anything else. Can't stand the thought of turning into a couch potato. For as long as I'm living I hope to be able to do SOMETHING with my hands at least.

Anyway, to that end, I've been accumulating lots of info on what those looms can do and HOW to do it. Frankly, I've been pleasantly surprised at just what can be done using these. For starters go to http://www.provocraft.com/projects/p...nitter&view=10 There are 5 pages of projects of all types. For more go here http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf224186.tip.html Follow some of the links there for even more.

Also found some books at crafts stores and Walmart on using these. Those on-line craft store coupons sure help save some money when buying books, BTW.

Another aspect is that I'm now watching for sales on yarn and starting to stock up, as I can afford it. Adding yarn to the list of items to watch for on craigslist, at yard sales & flea markets, too. Not only will this help put a stash of yarn on hand if TSHTF, completed projects can be another barter item, too. Plus, all indicators are that inflation, perhaps, hyperinflation, are going to soon be taking a toll on my ability to afford to buy yarn.

I'd enjoy hearing from those already ahead of me on this journey. Tips, techniques, don't-do, etc. And to see pix of your completed projects. And, to hear from other loom newbies, like me, too. Pretty sure I'll do my share of ripping out and starting over, till I get the hang of it.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Loom knitting is the only knitting I can do. I have made scarfs and hats with the kniffty knitters. I recently picked up a knitting board sock loom. I am working on a pair of socks. The pegs are so close and fine that the knit is very tight. They are taking forever to make thou.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM

I have a set of the Knifty Knitter looms, I think 3 or four in the bag. Made a couple of knitted caps, and that's all.

I bought one of the DA Looms round sock looms back last fall, but I haven't started anything on it yet. I agree that the pegs are so very very tight, I know I'm going to have to just practice before I start a project, just to get used to it. I bought the extra fine guage, I believe, and I have the sock yarn and even bought a big book on loom knitting at Half Price. I have to wait for the mood to hit me before I start something. If I tried to start something right now, I would just abandon it.

I taught myself to knit several years ago, and I always enjoyed it very much. I could never knit anything elaborate like socks or sweaters, though. One knit a beautiful long shrug, and edged it with lace, and it got swiped the last time I attended a workplace. In other words, someone stole it out of the break room, where I had foolishly left it.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:51 PM

I have a full of them,I love them! Just finished a pocket scarf a couple weeks ago,working on another now.I've made scarves and baby bankets,but that's it.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM

I finally bought the round set and made a hat YAY
I have tried repeatdly to crochet one and alway ends up looking funky.
The looms are so easy, and got my creative sparks achurning...I love these things
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyPitcher View Post
I have a set of the Knifty Knitter looms, I think 3 or four in the bag. Made a couple of knitted caps, and that's all.

I bought one of the DA Looms round sock looms back last fall, but I haven't started anything on it yet. I agree that the pegs are so very very tight, I know I'm going to have to just practice before I start a project, just to get used to it. I bought the extra fine guage, I believe, and I have the sock yarn and even bought a big book on loom knitting at Half Price. I have to wait for the mood to hit me before I start something. If I tried to start something right now, I would just abandon it.

I taught myself to knit several years ago, and I always enjoyed it very much. I could never knit anything elaborate like socks or sweaters, though. One knit a beautiful long shrug, and edged it with lace, and it got swiped the last time I attended a workplace. In other words, someone stole it out of the break room, where I had foolishly left it.
I know it's horrible to have something swiped but...It's kind of cool to make something that turns out so well someone else thinks it's worth stealing ;-)
Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 AM

Well, I hope they enjoyed it. It really was a beautiful thing, looked like it would be hard to make but it wasn't. I used an ecru colored yarn and edged it with store bought lace because I couldn't follow the knitting directions well enough to actually knit the lace. Too many yarn-overs and K3Tog & etc. It was very Victorian looking, came just to the bottom of my rump, and somewhat clung to the body on the back and sides but had roomy arms. It wasn't a loose fitting garment like a sweater. The sides overlapped about six inches in front, the lace almost touching my chin, and I had what they used to call 'frogs' to keep it closed in front. Not shaped like frogs, but a pair of what I would call clamp on closures with a small chain between them. I got so many compliments on it, asked where I bought it. I haven't had the heart or ambition to knit another one. Maybe some day.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM

Hey my Knifty Knitters....ha haha

I am using a very large circle knitter to make a cowl (instead of a hat).
How to I finish off the circle without closing it up like a hat?

I was thinking of crocheting a chain catching the loops, but would like it to look good, so if someone knows how to do it proper I'd appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Mandamichel, I THINK it could be done by gradually decreasing the amount of pegs your using. slide a loop over a peg to double them up? I'm not sure as I've only just yesterday picked up this extremely addictive hobby. Did someone mention sock boards?.. please share your source!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 PM

I bought my sock loom from 'DA Looms', you can google it and go to their site. There are probably other places selling them too.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 PM

Thank you Molly!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Default Loving the Loom Knitting...

I have a large collection of the round looms and the long looms as well as the wooden sock loom with the metal pegs. I love them all! I've made some hats, several cowls that are round and several that are rectangles with closures, a ton of scarves, and am now knitting a particular scarf pattern to sell in a local shop.

The best place I've found to learn new techniques is youtube. There are TONS of videos there.

I'm also about to start teaching some basic level and project-focused loom knitting classes at a local craft store. Super stoked about that!

Are any of you members of Ravelry.com? There are lots of good ideas and projects there as well.

Happy knitting!
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Lee I've been thinking about getting these for the same reason, something to do inside when it's cold. I've got lots and lots of yarn that was given to me as well as some my daughter bought & left in the old trailer, I probably left some myself when I moved out. LOL!

I'm really interested in using them to make baby blankets so anyone who has made them on one of these please, speak up.

I can still crochet but after about 30 minutes or so my fingers start to cramp up, what I get for not crocheting in hot weather as well as cold.

I've tried knitting and just can't do it. I bought one of the kits where you basically use a crochet hook to knit. The instruction manual was awesome, fantastic pictures and very simple directions, both for right handed people as well as those who are left handed, very unusual to my way of thinking. Passed it on to my daughter but she still seems to prefer to crochet.