BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Sports & Games

Sports & Games Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, bowling, swimming, badminton, skiing, ping-pong, skateboarding...if it's a sport or game, this is the place to talk about it.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Default anyone coach youth sports?

I am a certified softball youth coach and I was won dering anyone else has experience coaching youth sports, not competitive but rec league?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My dh coached youth hockey, and I coached youth softball (1 year).
Softball was considered "house/recreational".
Hockey was "house / rec" 2 years, then 'travel' 6 years after that.

One thing I have found.
There is no such thing, as a 'non-competitive' league.
Even when it's lame, and everyone gets a trophy.
Parents are over the top, and competitive kids don't know how to 'dumb' down their game (I don't mean that in a derogitory way) to play just for 'fun'. Some kids are just ooober competitive.

I only coached softball for one year, because I wanted to teach the basics so they could chose 'house/rec' or 'travel' the next year. At least they would have the skill set to make those choices.
Some parents LOVED that.
Some hated it because their kids just want to have fun and not be corrected. (like showing them proper stance).
Some hated it because it was SOOOOOOOOO boring, and they already knew it all, and this was lame because 1/2 the girls on the team $ucked.(they said, not me)

I did, what I set out to do, teach the basics.
And I didn't go back.
One team was STACKED. Dad coach, mom was the big soft ball organizer, so they picked all his daughters friends for their team, who just HAPPENED to be all the best players....
You see where I am going with that.
How much fun is it to smoke your opponent by 10 runs every week?

We just called games with that team "an extra practice" where we worked on position, stance, where to hold the bat, ect.
Some parents thought that was the best way to approach it, because they all knew it was bull spit.
Some parents thought we should try harder. (yeah right)
Some parents said we should forefit. (um, hades no, there were NO quitters on my team)

So.......I enjoyed most of my girls.
Most of them learned A LOT.
99% of them thanked me at the end of the year!

Youth sports would be so much better if the parents were not allowed to come.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 PM

I coached two levels for two years before coordinating the program for the area. The first year I coached two teams, T-ball and Ages 7 to 11. In Canada we have a program called "learn to play" and I used it successfully. the second year I just did t-ball, we did mixed girls and boys. we did rec but we didn't keep score when competing against other teams. we taught the correct throwing, catching and batting techniques in a fun way. i found the opposite was the case here, parents didn't want to help, they were just as content to sit and drink coffee and chat with their freinds. we can't seem to find coaches and assistants.
this year I had two coaches step forward, one for t-ball and one for the older kids ages 9 to 12 and it is a competive league for them, fast pitch. the coach for the older kids is a softball player himself but he is very good with the kids.
I also coordinate the soccer program but e have enough coaches i don't have to coach, thankfully because even though I played the sport in university, I can't remember the correct rules.
I love sports and am eager to help but my boys are too old to play but i still like to keep involved.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:34 AM

I was stuck with a 1st and 2nd grade soccer team.
I volunteered to help and while I was away for 2 weeks they gave me half of the kids and my own team.
I had never even seen a game played, didn't know the first thing about soccer.
Turns out I was just an after school baby sitter.
30 to 40 kids every practice and 2 or 3 at the game.
Finally told the parents that if the kid was not at the game they were off the team.
That caused all kinds of hate.
Finally told them all to go to hell and quit.
Never again would I coach anything.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:25 AM

wow that definetly would leave you with a sour taste in your mouth for coaching, an example of a program that was run poorly.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:02 AM

Default little league sports

After a near 20 plus year hiatus from the sport, I helped with my son's youth football program this year. I think they take it a bit serious for 5th & 6th grade lads and by they end of the season, I was ready for a break. That being said, I enjoyed being around the boys. They were a great group of kids. Many of these boys don't have much of a home life (single parent, drug & alcohol abuse, criminal records and so forth) and that's what kept me going. Sadly youth sports is the only structure many of these kids ever see. I've already volunteered to help again next year even though my son is moving to Jr. High. There's a lot not to like about youth sports especially obnoxious parents but how often do you get a chance to be a mentor and possibly change someone's life??
Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 PM

My boys have been playing football since kindergarten and will be moving to high school next year I commend al the coaches they have had during the years. For the past 4 years hey have played for Thier school.their teachers were coaches i can honestly say the kids who play have differnt (better) personalities then the ones who don't .
Point is just wanted to thank those of you that do what you do