Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > BHM Advertisers

BHM Advertisers Advertisements, specials, and deals for Forum visitors offered by BHM magazine and website advertisers.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
BHM Advertiser

Default Insta-Fire Weatherproof Fire Starter

We are now offering a great new product:

Insta-Fire Weatherproof Fire Starter

http://www.directive21.com/Insta-Fir...e-starter.html

Insta-Fire is a patented blend of volcanic rock, wood pellets, and paraffin wax. This patented formula is what makes Insta-Fire water resistant for use in even the most severe weather. Insta-Fire is designed to be used anytime and anywhere a fire is needed. It provides a safe, clean, and environmentally friendly fire-starting solution.

Use Insta-Fire to:
Create a self-standing fire
Light and dry wet wood
Light charcoal briquettes
Stock up on preps
Provide fire for anywhere
FREE SHIPPING TO LOWER 48 U.S.

LPC Survival Ltd.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I'm curious why this would be needed? There are so many excellent home made alternatives, and very inexpensive commercial products, that I just don't quite see the need for this in a person's preps.

As a Cub Scout, we made fire starters and stoves. A piece of cardboard wound into a spiral and put in a tuna can, then filled with paraffin (it was cheap back then) was the burner. A big can with "church key" holes for air intake and exhaust was the cooking surface. When the food was done, the 'stove' was tipped upside down on the burner to put it out. That same cardboard and wax burner could be used for the same thing as this product.

Then there're things like Sterno and "hex" tablets to use for cooking or fire starting.

If you want something that will take a spark from a flint or magnesium bar, there's steel wool or my favorite, cotton balls rubbed with Vasoline. The Vasoline serves multiple duties, and goes in the first aid kit anyway. Rubbing alcohol and two beer can bottoms makes a dandy stove.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, I just don't see much need for this?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
BHM Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
I'm curious why this would be needed? There are so many excellent home made alternatives, and very inexpensive commercial products, that I just don't quite see the need for this in a person's preps.

As a Cub Scout, we made fire starters and stoves. A piece of cardboard wound into a spiral and put in a tuna can, then filled with paraffin (it was cheap back then) was the burner. A big can with "church key" holes for air intake and exhaust was the cooking surface. When the food was done, the 'stove' was tipped upside down on the burner to put it out. That same cardboard and wax burner could be used for the same thing as this product.

Then there're things like Sterno and "hex" tablets to use for cooking or fire starting.

If you want something that will take a spark from a flint or magnesium bar, there's steel wool or my favorite, cotton balls rubbed with Vasoline. The Vasoline serves multiple duties, and goes in the first aid kit anyway. Rubbing alcohol and two beer can bottoms makes a dandy stove.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, I just don't see much need for this?
While all of the things you mentioned are good things to do, they do not work as well as instafire, and people have seen that when they have purchased the product. While it is a fire starter, it is more than just that.
It can work in adverse conditions, and it burns for some time while other things are only fire starters.

theberkeyguy
Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Yeah. I'm not really trying to badmouth your product, sorry if it sounded like it. How is it superior to Sterno or the hexane cooking tablets? Won't a tuna fish can of cardboard and paraffin wax do the same thing?

Honest, I'm not trying to be critical, I'd just like to know what makes this stuff better?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 PM

the insta fire product sounds interesting but I can't imagine buying a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff without having some experience with it. Do you have smaller quantities? How about a video which displays how much of the stuff it takes to boil a quart of water or something tangible like that.

very interesting concept, regardless

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
BHM Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
the insta fire product sounds interesting but I can't imagine buying a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff without having some experience with it. Do you have smaller quantities? How about a video which displays how much of the stuff it takes to boil a quart of water or something tangible like that.

very interesting concept, regardless
Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbRRtaj-vEA
Old 01-08-2012, 02:09 PM

I loved the video. I have seen it elsewhere. ( Prob. spam)

A similar product was introduced by Emergency Essentials a couple months ago:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...20-%2013%20lbs
Old 01-08-2012, 02:15 PM

It's an interesting idea, and is probably a very convenient product, but only for those who can afford it. I'm intrigued by it, but the price seems a little high to me for something that is not a necessity, by which I mean that there are other ways to start a fire, particularly with proper preparation. I'm as lazy as anyone, so I might be tempted to buy this this stuff but, as an emergency preparation, I'm not going to carry a bucket of this stuff with me. If the price were right, I might keep a bucket or so in my cabin for those lazy days, but it's not an essential item.

If I were planning for a three day trip into the mountains, it might be nice to have a bag of this stuff with me so that I didn't have to scrounge for dry kindling in wet weather, but I see it as more of a convenience item.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM

That's kinda my thinking too, kfander. My inclination is to rant and rail about alternatives to this fire starter, but I know that LPC is just an honest business guy offering a product. We can either buy it or not. Make our own or buy a commercial product. It's our choice, and I don't want to disparage what seems to be a decent product just because it wouldn't be MY choice.

Ten minutes on youtube with a search for "fire starter" will come up with a dozen easy alternatives. Or, a person could buy LPC's product and get free shipping!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:55 PM
BHM Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH View Post
I loved the video. I have seen it elsewhere. ( Prob. spam)

A similar product was introduced by Emergency Essentials a couple months ago:
http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL%20S095_A_name_E_Fired%20Up!% E2%84%A2%20Emergency%20Fuel%20&%20Firestarter%20IN-A-BUCKET%20-%2013%20lbs
Looking at the bucket and the label, It is the same product but only 13 lbs (We sell about 20 lbs), and a private label done for ES.

theberkeyguy