Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Weight loss contest/ challenge

Our local grocery chain is holding their second annual "Slim Down Showdown" with a grand prize of 10 grand and a fan prize of 5 grand. I'm entering to see if I can get chosen. Would love to win one of the two top prizes but will be happy just to be chosen as they give out a nice goody bag at their "fitness camp" at the beginning. If I'm chosen I'm going to post a link here as one of the things needed to be the fan favorite winner is the number of fans you have for your videos and blog posts. Sure hope you folks will follow me if I get chosen. If I win I'm buying a lifetime subscription to the magazine so I won't have to worry about coming up with the subscription money yearly. LOL Wish me luck, please, not only with becoming one of the 25 contestants but with losing weight and becoming healthier.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 AM

Just went back and reviewed the contest rules where they state what the prizes are and how they will be determined. What I called a fitness camp is called a Wellness Program. The goody bag, my term, will contain fitness items such as tee shirts, a water bottle, a fitness watch, a $100 store gift card, and an electronic netbook, and participants will also receive a makeover. This alone will be worth participating to my way of thinking. I'm hoping the makeover comes at the end of the contest, not the beginning. LOL!

What I really need is the support and encouragement of lots of people.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 AM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years

Oh YellowRose, I know that you can do it!!!! The toughest part is starting, and they say that it takes 2 weeks to form a new habit. If you can give it a good old fashioned effort, your body, mind and spirit will thank you! I have been exercising faithfully and on a regular basis for almost 25 years, and I am so thankful that God gave me the wisdom, the energy, the discipline and the ability to keep my body working at an optimal level for all of these years. Quite often, I meet people who are my age, and are struggling with new and sometimes serious health issues. I have no illnesses or diseases, no aches or pains, no high blood pressure, I don't get headaches, no nervous stomach problems, and my sex drive is pretty healthy (tee hee) ! I am not taking any medication - otc or prescription except for natural bioidentical hormones. I am proud of my hard work, especially when its so easy to just flop down and watch tv instead of going outside or the gym to exercise. Sure I love to eat, and would love to sit and devour a quart of ice cream in one sitting, but that is one of the reasons I exercise so much - if I didn't, I would weigh 200 pounds!!!

There are of course many, many benefits to exercising: my stress level is lower, my tight jeans look good (men still flirt with me at my age!), I sleep soundly, my energy level is high, I don't sweat the small stuff anymore, my skin and eyes are clear and healthy looking (according to others)and I can almost eat whatever I want!

The real beauty of starting to live a more healthy lifestyle, is that once you make a change or two, then its very easy to make another, then another, then another positive healthy change in your daily life!

You deserve to take the time to live a healthier way, to incorporate small and big changes. Start slowly and don't give up, one day at a time, and little by little, you will be on your way to noticing a difference!!!!

I applaud and support you, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted, and if you need some encouragement, PM me!

SunshineGirl
Old 01-10-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks SunshineGirl. I've still got to do the video and have a picture taken of me to submit with the written application. Not sure what to say on the video except the same things I said on the application and let them see that although I'm overweight I'm not obese, though I'd probably have a better chance at being picked if I were. I'm in hopes that since I'm disabled that will help me get chosen as so far no one at the Y close to me or the one where I joined have much in the way of experience in working with a disabled and helping them understand what exercises will be helpful to them.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:15 AM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years

You go MYellowRose! You just never know what criteria they are looking for as to who will get chosen for the contest you're entering. You have just as good of a chance as anyone. Please let us know when you get picked!!!! I'm sure that your video and your application will knock their socks off!!!

SunshineGirl