Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Arts & Crafts > Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting/Needlepoint

Old 11-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Default So I never got my Singer sewing machine to work...

I posed a while back on my Singer sewing machine dying. It's still dead. A hunk of junk. A gool ol Piece of crap.
So.....I'm on the search for a new one. I've seen a few I am interested in that are 2-300 dollars, but now I'm really nervous about buying sewing machines,especially being as I have to buy them online & can't see them in person.

I'm looking for recommendations. I REALLY want to finish my huge quilt that I had been working on before my Singer broke. I want something that I can make Quilts, pillows, and other like projects with and the occasional hemming job. As of right now I'm looking at a Janome Sewist 500 sewing machine but again, I'm not able to pick it up or actually see the thing before buying. I need recommendations so that I know what I buy will be good to go when I recieve it in the mail.

Thanks for any and all help!
~Brooke~

Old 11-27-2010, 08:20 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Brooke, start watching your local craigslist. Based on what you're doing, it sounds like a good treadle machine would work well for you. FWIW, I have quilts that my MIL quilted on her treadle. While they can't do fancy stitches they don't breakdown when a gremlin gets into "electronics" either.

Or, if you want electric, look for one of the older ones made in the pre-electronic age. They generally sell for far less than new ones in the stores. The components in a 30-40 year old machine are, IMHO, far better quality than the cheap plastic gears and such in today's machines.

If you consider buying used, take some fabric and thread with you. If the seller won't let you try the machine before buying, pass on it.

FWIW, I keep looking at a new one locally that sells for almost $400. Then, I remember that my sister bought a similar one awhile back. Her model is now discontinued. That means that in a few more years she won't be able to get support or repair parts, if needed. These new machines are now like computers. Buy the latest model and it'll be obsolete by the time you get it home and plugged in.

When I remember that, I keep on walking.

I know this doesn't answer your question about a specific machine. However, I do hope these thoughts are helpful.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:07 PM

I would so watch craigs list but I'm over seas. Any electric ones that I would buy locally would be 220V, not 110 so I'm stuck there & military members who have the older ones move it with them for a reason (they use it).

Gah, I feel like I'm screwed until I can get back to the states sort of.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Wonder if you can barter for the use of one of those machines near you? Bake a cake in exchange for a few hours of sewing time, for example. Or, teach quilting in exchange for use of someone's machine.

There's got to be a way for you to keep on sewing, at least until you finish your projects before you have the opportunity to use craigslist and such. If you buy one now, won't you have similar problems if you bring it back stateside?

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:27 AM

My last one was $20 at a yard sale. It did everything but stretch stitch.

The parts to convert 220 v are not really expensive and the 50 to 60 cycle is only on some.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 AM

Default Impatient

And if you're really really really impatient, you can quilt it by hand!