BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Default best way to store goat milk soap?

Over the next month or so I will be making a couple hundred bars of goat milk soap, some to sell, some to keep. Since we have a lot of humidity, what is the best way to wrap the soap for keeping moisture away, and also to make it look pretty for selling? I had before put in small plastic bags and tied a bow on it, but really didn't like the soap being in plastic bags.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Brown paper bags are great for wrapping soap I like to use thin hemp rope to tie them... I have in the past cut strips of colorful cloth and used that to tie them... it makes for a nice organic/natural look Good luck with your soap making
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

+1 on the brown paper bags. I keep my soap on brown paper inside a shoe box. For final market, I would probably wrap soap in heavy tissue paper in a light corrugated sleeve? I've seen that on other small-batch soaps, and it looks nice but you can still get a whiff of the soap too.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for help, I have been working for days and only have tweny-five pounds made. I got about seventy bars of soap out of the twenty-five pounds, for I made them chunky so they would last longer.

These ladies up here love goat milk soap and there is so much extra money to be made with making goat milk soap, if I just had the time and money to invest in some good soap making supplies and learn to make it look really nice, but I tell all these ladies every bar is hand made and you won't find another bar like it.

I like the idea of wrapping them with tissue paper and the hemp string. Also found Walmart has the small brown paper bags with handles, so I may put the wrapped soap in these bags.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
Thanks for help, I have been working for days and only have tweny-five pounds made. I got about seventy bars of soap out of the twenty-five pounds, for I made them chunky so they would last longer.

These ladies up here love goat milk soap and there is so much extra money to be made with making goat milk soap, if I just had the time and money to invest in some good soap making supplies and learn to make it look really nice, but I tell all these ladies every bar is hand made and you won't find another bar like it.

I like the idea of wrapping them with tissue paper and the hemp string. Also found Walmart has the small brown paper bags with handles, so I may put the wrapped soap in these bags.
Thanks
If you don't have a lot of time you might want to try the Hot Process method... the soap would be ready for use immediately.. all you need is a crock pot...
Also when you have more time you might want to incorporate some "re-batching"...... it is just an easy way to add texture/chunks of color/etc..
For round bars using Pringle cans is teh way to go Have Fun!!
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]