Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Pets

Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Inherited a dog!

My neighbor that passed away earlier this week left a small male dog, don't know if he's rat terrier or Jack Russel terrier but he's now mine. The neighbor's girlfriend either can't or won't take him with her though originally he was her dog. I remember him from when he was tiny puppy because she called him "Chica" which meant he was female, someone corrected her as his name is now Chico. LOL! I'm somewhat worried about him as he hadn't eaten from Monday until this afternoon when I got home and mixed a little canned food in with his dry food. I realize he's confused and grieving but don't want him to starve himself.

I'm looking to find a shirt or something that his owner wore that I can put in his dog house to hopefully comfort him since it will smell like his former owner. Any other suggestions will be sincerely appreciated, especially if you've dealt with this problem.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 AM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

I would keep him as close to me as possible. If he can jus touch you and hear kind soft words it is so comforting. If he could live inside rather than out in a yard, I think you'd be amazed how well he would mend. I had a friend who passed away and his dog DID starve an grieve to death in one week's time. He was left in the back yard (of the neighbor who adopted him) alone, and I reckon he jus couldn't handle it.

When I rescued Shuggabear, she didn't have a clue what was going on, but she stuck to me like glue. She was inside with me, tho. I jus kept talking to her an explaining the way we did things an she broke herself to git it right.

You have a good heart to try to help this lil lost one. I truly hope it all works out for yas. The shirt might be good to leave with him but it also might confuse him. I don't know, as I keep my doggies with me.. not outside.

~Grizzy~
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 03-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Grizzy I'm seriously considering bringing him inside but since I have 3 house cats I don't know how he'll react to them. I'm seriously considering renting the efficiency Bob had since the rent/ utilities is just a little over half of what I'm paying now. Don't know if my daughter and her family will stay in the other portion of the trailer, where we all are now, but I'm getting tired of her bitching about the way I treat my cats and the fact that I took over care of Chico. If she decides to move, I'll stay here, or move back once she's out. LOL I like the extra space and I've already got plans for the back bedroom once they're gone. I'm turning it into a food storage/ craft room.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Passed On

Location: I live in North Carolina.. but my heart belongs to Texas

Rose am kinna laff'n here coz I remember... when Shuggabear came to me at furst.. she really was clueless. I had a small dog already (Sweetpea) who was smallest but she was the BOSS haha.. Wellll it was kinna nutz for a few weeks but then it all shook out. They decided the peck'n order and I jus made sure they knew momma loved um both equal like.

With catz in the mix it might be a lil chaos but maybe you can keep the new pooch behind a child's safety gate (you can find them at Goodwill for nex to nothin) until he sees the catz an they see him. Eventually he'll get to be loose with them and sheese.. catz can escape. Here there is one male cat (Odie) and the two lil doggies act like they are gonna eat his lunch but it's all a game. Sometimes I've eased up to my son taking a nap in the ez chair with the cat on the arm an the two dogs on his feet an lap .. Maybe at meal time you could make sure the lil dog has time to eat without the kitties there to make him anxious. They wait all day til meal times.

I wish yas the best. Love conquers it all doanchaknow. Kitties an doggies can live together. It's all good!

~Grizzy~
I forgot to say this too.. At Walmart you can git a small doggie plastic crate. He can have his pilla an blankey in there an it's HIS cave. He can be in the room where you're watching tv or sleeping or whatever and See whas going on quietly. At nitetime you can say "Git in your bed" and lock the lil door and not worry about the kitties. If you go out he can wait in there for yas an you won't be anxious about whas going on at home. The minute you let him out.. take him outside to go potty. Ya'll will figger out a good routine.. Good Luck!
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. - Blackfoot
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM

Grizzes love dogs especially with mustard and katchup
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 AM

That's a good idea about the crate, Grizz. Ya can probably get one at goodwill or off craiglist pretty cheap. I have a big crate for my big ol dawg and it's definitely her 'spot'. Well, aside from right up against my chair, that is. She's an indoor dog too. I have a kennel for when we have to be gone too long, but I think it's best for her to be in with us.

I hope you can keep the little dog up close to you, Rose.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 AM

alone, and I reckon he just couldn't handle it.

get him a new pup for a play mate