BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Default Hay Fever

This has been an especially bad pollen season on the Atlantic Seaboard - and maybe everywhere else, too - so I was wondering if anyone has an herbal mix or brew that helps to alleviate the symptoms? I've been walking around feeling like I've got the 'flu for the past three weeks, and it's getting old! TIA.

Last edited by Dagny; 10-10-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

You bet! I've used Ephedra Viridis (mormon tea) mixed with echinacea root extract and a few other things (club moss spores, American centaury, & gotu kola) and it dries up the sinuses in about 5 minutes or less. I mean, DRY. So there's no sinus infection to develop into bronchial distress or ear infection, which are the side effects of the basic runny nose and watering eyes of allergies. I used to suffer greatly, but found all this stuff in an herbal combination (no longer made, unfortunately) - but after 10 years of using it, my allergies pretty much gave up and went away.
It would be worth it for you to experiment with these to find what works for you. Be careful with ephedra alone - it can be way too strong & cause other health problems. But mixed with other herbs, it's a wonder and a blessing!

I am editing to add - you will understand the absolute JOY of being able to walk hip-deep in a bed of ragweed with NO hayfever! I've done that. The stuff smells wonderful when you can smell it. The Latin name is Ambrosia artemisiifolia. AMBROSIA - as in something WONDERFUL, not something evil. Never thought I'd be able to do it before I used the ephedra mixture.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM

DH used to have terrible hay fever during ragweed blooming time. After we went off dairy products, he has not not problems with it.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:23 PM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years
Thumbs up Pure Oil of Oregano

Ever since I was a teenager, I inherited the susceptibility to allergies from my Dad, so lo and behold, the terrible bouts of hay fever started. Here in Southern California we have loads of pollen every spring and summer, so ever since then, I had suffered from all the typical symptoms: red swollen eyes, stuffy nose, sneezing til my ribcage hurt, etc. Well a few years ago, an ex BF introduced me to PURE Oil of Oregano! I started taking several drops under my tongue on a daily basis, and after about a month, I was floored! No more symptoms from the allergies, no more colds, no resp. infections of any kind!

You can also apply the oil topically, to kill a multitude of skin problems! I have used it directly on a painful tooth abscess to give me some relief until I could get in to see the Dentist! I have used it on an infected scratch, I take extra drops just when I feel a cold or flu might be coming on and the results are amazing!

You can find it in most health food stores, its a bit expensive, but I find that the small 2 ounce bottle lasts almost a year. It has to be 100% pure oregano oil, not diluted with any other oils such as olive.

SunshineGirl
Old 10-28-2011, 11:48 PM

Location: Southern Calif but maybe CO WY MONT IDA in the next couple of years
Exclamation OOPS I FORGOT TO MENTION THIS!

Sorry but I just looked at my bottle, and realized that I neglected to mention that the pure Oil of Oregano must be made from WILD Oregano. This will be mentioned on the bottle, so make sure its Wild Oregano Oil.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:33 PM

Someone had once told me that if you take local honey regularly, you will not have allergy issues. I dont know if it works since I dont have allergies. But that would be a good excuse to sample different local honeys...
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM

Many thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 AM

Homeopathy works good on allergies. And there are no side effects.
Avoid chocolate and sugar, dairy is a problem for some folks. Eat honey from the area, chew the wax. That is not of any help while you are sneezing, it is something you do long range. I bought a tape long time ago with subliminal messages hidden in the burblings of a brook. That helped. We still get a touch, but we have not had it as bad as we used to for a long time now. DH was pitifully plagued with it.