BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Good resources for U.S. history

For as long as is relevant, I've been more inclined to learn about science than history. High school and required college courses were ages ago and there is a big empty void that could do with a refresh or new viewpoint. So I'm looking for book suggestions but there are so many out there, I'm hoping like-minded individuals will have helpful suggestions.

I think I've got a handle on the Revolutionary War and am more interested in; the Continental Congress, the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the major people involved in the founding of this nation, how it relates to us today... that sort of thing.

The volume of books on the subject is overwhelming so if anyone has suggestions they'd be more than welcome.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 PM

John Weaver is a fantastic historian http://www.sermonaudio.com/search.as...rd=John^Weaver

Yes, the above is a collection of "sermons" but if you browse through you will find over a hundred historical lectures on Early America and the Civil War..

Pastor John Weaver is the Chaplain-in-Chief for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, a native of Fitzgerald, Georgia and a contributor to the Georgia Heritage Coalition.
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
Old 02-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Default The Light and the Glory

"The Light and the Glory" by Peter Marshall and David Manuel in my opinion is the very BEST book on American History. It revels our true National Heritage.
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][B][I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father; [but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. I John 2:23[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][I][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=purple]Y Gwir erbyn y Byd[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I][/B]
Old 02-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Try "Tempest at Dawn" by James Best.
http://www.amazon.com/Tempest-at-Daw...9676367&sr=1-1

It's classified as an historical novel, but it's more a day-to-day diary of the first Constitutional Convention, with a lot of coverage about why the Articles of Confederation needed to be replaced, who the major players were and the politics of the time. It's a novel only because it includes conversations that weren't documented, and have to be assumed, as well as the power plays that were involved between factions.

If you want to understand why our Constitution has some of the odd provisions it does (like the 3/5 rule for slaves), this explains it. A significant part of the book is written from James Madison's personal diary, which he didn't permit to become public until all the members of the Constitutional Convention were dead.

I strongly recommend this book.

Last edited by grumble; 02-19-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: name change
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Thanks much for the suggestions, I'm not familiar with any of them and could do with some new reading material.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM

I wanted to reread some history books so I went to the library.
They had a Washington state history book so I checked it out.
Just like High school I got a late notice from the library.
Seems like it is a reference book and you can only check it out for 7 days not a month like the other.
Payed the fine and learned some interesting things I slept through the first time around.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Default Who knew?

I got a pretty good grasp on US history overview, but have learned all kinds of stuff I couldn't put together on my own while homeschooling my kid. We are enjoying Usborne World History Medieval World. It is simple, but connects the dots for me. Then anything we want to research further, we go from there.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Default A People's History

A Peoples History of the United States and The 10 Big Lies About America are both interesting reads.

I think most any book on history can be useful, as long as one is able to read it, keep an awareness that someone biased wrote it and there are usually at least 2 sides to the story, so to speak. I think it's important to be able to acknowledge a documented fact against speculation and EVERY history book is biased. With both science and history, it's my opinion that going into reading it, one must have on their filter thinking caps and be able to always watch for opinion statements.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM

"...but connects the dots for me."

That hits the ol' nail right on the head. For me, that's what I missed out on in the formal history classes I took. So-and-so did such-and-such on this date. Remember this for the test. Yawn, regurgitate the facts at the apropriate time, purge memory cells for useful stuff.

What's important isn't so much WHO did it, but WHY he did that, instead of something else or at some other time. Unless a person has some idea of what was going on in Mexico, and what was in the Treaty of Guadalupe, the Battle of the Alamo and populating California don't make much sense. The same holds true for just about any event in history. Unless kids understand what was involved in WWI, WWII seems pretty stupid. No wonder high school grads know nothing of the Korean War and think Vietnam happened before WWII. Or that the Civil War was to gain independence from England.

I greatly regret not getting interested in the STORY of history until I was in my 30s.