Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default New Amelia Earhart Search Begins On 75th Anniv

I've watched a couple of the History Channel shows on previous searches and this one looks promising, wait and see I suppose.

Quote:
Amelia Earheart disappeared during a trans-pacific flight 75 years ago. Now, investigators think they've found the key clue that will lead them to solve one of America's greatest mysteries.

In a news conference in Washington Tuesday, Ric Gillespie, executive director of The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), said a new enhanced analysis of a photo taken on the Pacific atoll of Nikumaroro, formerly Gardner Island, three months after Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared, may show the landing gear of her Lockheed Electra exposed from a reef.

"We found some really fascinating and compelling evidence," Gillespie said in reference to the photo.

"Finding the airplane would be the thing that would make it conclusive," he added.

According to Gillspie, the photo, which was taken by a British survey team in October 1937, was seen by Earhart researchers many times before, but had not registered as anything significant.

It wasn't until investigators took a "second look" at the photo in 2010, that their suspicions were triggered.

After being checked by U.S. State Department experts, the determination was that the component in the picture was that of the landing gear of a Lockheed Electra.

According to report done by the Discovery News, nine archaeological expeditions to Nikumaroro by Gillespie and his team resulted in the recovery of a number of artifacts which, combined with archival research, provide strong circumstantial evidence for a castaway presence.

"We found archival records describing the discovering in Nikumaroro in 1940 of the partial skeleton and campsite of what appears to have been a female castaway," Gillespie said in the Discovery News interview.

"We identified the place on a remote corner of the atoll that fits the description of where the bones and campsite were found. Archaeological digs there have produced artifacts that speak of an American woman of the 1930s," he said.

Determined to solve the Earhart mystery once and for all, Gillespie and his team are heading out on a new expedition, this time concentrating on the aviator's plane.

Partaking in the privately funded half-million dollar expedition will be the U.S. Navy's primary deep ocean search and recovery contractor, Phoenix International.

TIGHAR and Phoenix will depart on July 2, from Honolulu on a University of Hawaii research vessel.

The date marks 75 years to the day after Earhart was last heard from.

To contact the editor, e-mail: editor@ibtimes.com
http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/31686...ry-clinton.htm

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership

Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 PM

That would be an interesting find. I hope it turns out better then Haroldos search for Al Capone's secret vault.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
That would be an interesting find. I hope it turns out better then Haroldos search for Al Capone's secret vault.
lol, I still remember that from when I was a kid, I think that was about the time I developed a dislike for that idiot. Nevertheless, they have found other clues and bits and bobs out there from what I've seen on those History Channel shows, so there is a rough chance.

Teg

Old 03-24-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
I remember that and all the hype on TV leading up to it, so we tuned in and what a letdown.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM

The headline I saw said about the search and in the same sentence said Hillary Clinton (shudder) was involved in it somehow.......... (shudder again)

I thought, oh snap, what in the world has she got to do with anything like this. There is going to be a screw up of some kind somewhere............. Kind of the reason I didn't look into it further.

Hope it turns out to be a successful search and not turned into a political photo op.......

KnowwhatImean
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
The headline I saw said about the search and in the same sentence said Hillary Clinton (shudder) was involved in it somehow.......... (shudder again)

I thought, oh snap, what in the world has she got to do with anything like this. There is going to be a screw up of some kind somewhere............. Kind of the reason I didn't look into it further.

Hope it turns out to be a successful search and not turned into a political photo op.......

KnowwhatImean
She was at the announcement and gave the usual government platitudes, not sure how she is involved otherwise. I can't see her or any politician popping out to a desolate island in the middle of the pacific, no five star hotels or smartphone service out there don't ya know.

Teg

Old 03-27-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
She was at the announcement and gave the usual government platitudes, not sure how she is involved otherwise. I can't see her or any politician popping out to a desolate island in the middle of the pacific, no five star hotels or smartphone service out there don't ya know.

Teg
-----------------------------
Makes sense........... She had to take the photo op where it was close to the tax payer provided limo.............. (shudder again)
Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

other than answering some idle curiosity, what would be the benefit of finding out what happened to that flight ?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM

Idol curiosity............. Yes

Extremely interesting......... If your into history. And historical trivia.

Just disgusted by the thought of Hillary or anyone else like that slimming up the mission.
(shudder)

Wish them luck in there search.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Now I'm thinking the government was using her (Amelia) as a spy on a secret mission and it was so dastardly that even today they want to find the wreck and make sure there is no evidence left around. I could have put that in the conspiracy section but it's more fun here.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Idol curiosity............. Yes

Extremely interesting......... If your into history. And historical trivia.

Just disgusted by the thought of Hillary or anyone else like that slimming up the mission.
(shudder)

Wish them luck in there search.
Yup, I just like the history side and the search, I also like that treasurequest show occasionaly as well to see the deep sea exploring, its just fun to kick back and watch something that doesnt have an agenda.l

Teg

Old 03-28-2012, 11:11 AM

How much is this gonna cost the tax payers?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
How much is this gonna cost the tax payers?
Nothing, privately funded like the other recent searches.

Teg

Old 04-12-2012, 05:13 AM

I googled the name of the island and found some info from Wikipedia describing what's been discovered from a castaway who was trying to survive there:
- - - -- -

"In an area on the atoll's northwest side called the "Seven Site" the team has found and cataloged artifacts such as flakes of rouge and a shattered mirror from a woman's cosmetic compact, parts of a folding pocket knife, traces of campfires bearing bird and fish bones, clams opened in the same way as oysters in New England, "empty shells laid out as if to collect rain water" and American bottles dating from before World War II, their heat warped bottoms showing they "had once stood in a fire as if to boil drinking water."[15] A finger phalanx bone found at the site and examined by forensic anthropologist Karen Ramey Burns has been examined by Dr. Cecil Lewis at the Molecular Anthropology Laboratories at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma, USA. DNA tests on the bone fragment proved inconclusive for testing as to whether it is turtle or human.[16] Brian Dunning has dismissed TIGHAR's approach as unscientific in not considering the alternate explanations of the found artifacts.[17]"

- - --- - -

I found info stating that the Brits tried to colonize the place in the 1890's and again in December 1938. If it was Amelia who tried to survive there, she wrecked in July 1937, not too long before the colonizers came.

I read that drinking water is scarce on the atoll and some of the fish are poisonous at certain times of the year. There are coconuts, crabs, fish and birds to eat. It could have been possible for her to survive, but maybe Amelia was hurt from the wreck.

Oh yeah, and the atoll has been uninhabited again now since 1965. (Maybe we should all move out there and take over the island :-)
Old 04-12-2012, 06:57 PM

It has always been a silly day dream of mine to own a private island, with sunshine, sandy beaches, and lots of naked native girls.............

But this sounds a little too out of the way and primitive..... Even from a guy prospective.

Keep us posted of any results of the search.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
It has always been a silly day dream of mine to own a private island, with sunshine, sandy beaches, and lots of naked native girls.............

But this sounds a little too out of the way and primitive..... Even from a guy prospective.

Keep us posted of any results of the search.
Same here, ever since I read the book "Such men are Dangerous", but I think I would find a nice little empty island around the Fiji area.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47653021...ience-science/

After Earhart went missing, there were many distress signals sent out which were probably from her plane. Because of this, some people think the plane actually landed intact on the deserted island. Evidence seems to be building that she was a castaway.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 AM

On the local news on evening a few days ago there was a blerb from some organization that said they had research to indicate they knew where she was in the ocean........

Don't remember the exact words they wrote, but it amounted to "give us enough money and we will find her" That's what it sounded to me like.

Was this BS...... Or someone fishing for $ to burn sailing around the ocean ? Or what ?

More info ?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM

It was on the news a couple days ago they found some female cosmetics containers from the 1930's on a island. One was a freckle fading cream which she was know to use. And years ago there was a skelton found on this island but now nobody can find what happened to it. So now it will take finding the airplane.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Bones

I saw sunday 2 weeks ago--where they think a deep (sonagram)
type image has found the outline of a metal--object that appears
to be a plane--they know its metal.

Years have passed---storms in that area---maybe they have found her plane
who knows--one of the great ongoing mysteries of our time.

Txanne