BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Seems odd the app wouldnt get your magazines as well as your books as the Nook app does. Nevertheless, if you can download the file perhaps calibre could make it readable?

Teg

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership

Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
Kindle books are forever safely backed up in your Amazon account.
This is mostly true. I was reading today that it is not true 100% across all versions of Kindle. Apparently, migrating from one version to another can break the connection to the Amazon archive.

Also, it is definitely not true if you subscribe to Kindle periodicals. For those of us who subscribe to BHM Kindle version, you should be aware that Amazon only keeps the most recent seven issues. While it is possible to "keep" older issues on your Kindle device, I have not yet found a way to archive them on my PC.

I think I will end up keeping my Kindle subscription for the port-ability, buying the PDF versions for research-ability and the paper subscription for the archive-ability.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM

I like my kindle for a lot of things - like keeping notes/page refs marked in more technical and practical books. But, it's not on the list of prepping devices anymore.

We live on the east coast and Hurricane Irene knocked out power... our internet... and about an hour later - our cell towers north of us, went down. No more 3G. It was out for 3-4 days. I'd pre-charged the Kindle, like the cell phones - but here's the thing - without the wireless network, the kindle "lost" it's communication to the mother ship... and completely drained the battery trying to re-establish communications. Once tech support "pushed" the profile wirelessly to the device, all was well again.

But that's why I'm going back and rebuilding my printed book library. The generator can give us power right here - but if there is an extended outage elsewhere - the Kindle isn't going to do me much good, if I need info right now and there's nothing to connect to. I'm working on solar solutions to get online - but that assumes there is an internet to connect to. It wasn't that long ago, when I working... that a router or server could go down somewhere on the backbone (our main hub was in No. Va.)... and there wasn't a damn thing anyone could do about it locally. You just had to wait.

Meanwhile I can read what I need in a book and it never needs charging.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
but here's the thing - without the wireless network, the kindle "lost" it's communication to the mother ship... and completely drained the battery trying to re-establish communications. Once tech support "pushed" the profile wirelessly to the device, all was well again.
I hadn't thought of it but I think that's a difference between the old and new model Kindles. I have an older one as well as a new one and, with the older one, I would have to tell it to connect, and to disconnect whenever I no longer needed a connection. Now that you mention it, the newer one just connects all on its own. I had noticed another thing that I'm not thrilled with, which is that it will try to wireless connections when it detects them, rather than using its own whispernet.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM

kfander - you might be able to change that to a manual connection, in the settings menu. I'm using a 2nd or 3rd generation kindle, with 3G. Amazon's kindle support site has a ton of useful information from folks around the world.... in the oddest situations! I was reading questions from someone in Saudi Arabia, who had connection issues.

I usually leave my wireless turned off, and have enough juice in the battery for even the longest books. What's interesting, is that sunlight doesn't seem to affect these batteries nearly as much as a cellphone. I wonder what the difference is?