Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 AM

Default Would you put MREs in a kid's bob?

My husband and I are thinking of using MREs for food in our kits, but I'm wondering which direction is best to go for our 5 year old's bag. Is it better to just do normal food in a kid's pack, or is it okay to do MREs and some snacks they like (for comfort)?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnee View Post
My husband and I are thinking of using MREs for food in our kits, but I'm wondering which direction is best to go for our 5 year old's bag. Is it better to just do normal food in a kid's pack, or is it okay to do MREs and some snacks they like (for comfort)?
I'm eager to see some of this discussion because I've focused more on hydration, concealment/visibility, wound care, getting/staying dry and things like that. For grub I've just tossed in cheap, high calorie, high protein snack food.

Youngsters tend not to be adventurous when it comes to meal time so you might consider old standbys such as peanut butter with honey and crackers. Perhaps you can keep your "comfort foods" together in one area of your pantry. Remember to always rotate the stock. If an event seems imminent, load the grub into the bags.

Note: a 5y.o. is not going to be able to tote a whole lot of weight. A couple of liters of water and a few snacks will be a full load.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the note. I think for kids, it's recommended that their back packs weigh no more than 10 percent of their body weight, which would be about 4-5 pounds for us right now.

The plan is that our son would stay with one of us if something happened, which means that we can make up some of the weight from his pack and just keep enough in his to handle really basic first aid, his personal stuff (hygeine, clothes, light source, keep-dry stuff, small distractions), and just a day's worth of food/water. Then at the end of the day we'd off load the next day's food/water into his pack.

The food that we have in all of our kits is cheap, high calorie stuff, but it seems to take up a lot of room and weight that could be put to better use, worst case. (Best case, of course, is that we just raid them periodically for the flashlights, glow sticks, and junk food during an extended power outage... hey, it helps keep things rotated!)

I've also been considering those high calorie nutrition bars but think those have the potential to be even more of a fail than mres.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Master Pontificator

Default No

i do not like or use MREs. no nutrients, toxins, and they dont put people in touch with food.

my pack has a mess kit in it, it has brown rice, lentil beans home made hard tack, food bars made from uncooked oatmeal honey nuts and peanut butter, and even top raman noodles.

you should not plant to live on processed junk food in an emergency situation. MREs are calories and gut filler, the toxins in MREs make you weak and tired, its unhealthy.

giving your kids prepackaged food (so called) is not mentaly health either, teach them what food is and how to cook in the field
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
i do not like or use MREs. no nutrients, toxins, and they dont put people in touch with food.

my pack has a mess kit in it, it has brown rice, lentil beans home made hard tack, food bars made from uncooked oatmeal honey nuts and peanut butter, and even top raman noodles.

you should not plant to live on processed junk food in an emergency situation. MREs are calories and gut filler, the toxins in MREs make you weak and tired, its unhealthy.

giving your kids prepackaged food (so called) is not mentaly health either, teach them what food is and how to cook in the field
I'm tracking with you on everything but the Ramen noodles because I get headaches from the MSG they use. I really like the concept of packing grains and legumes as long as there are some "quick calories" also packed.

I picked up a box of pre-packaged honey (in single serving pouches) and single serving peanut butter because they last a long time and provide some decent go power. I paid the premium for the packets simply because in a 72 hour scenario we might not have the luxury of cooking.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 AM

How about raisins, dried fruit, p'nut butter & honey, oatmeal (it's what's for supper!)... powdered milk/eggs... so this covers carbs, sugar (for energy) and protein.

or - what I'm thinking for ourselves - is vacumn packaging individual portions of a mix of dry ingredients: say... lentils, rice, garlic powder, salt & pepper, dehydrated onions, dehydrated red/green peppers - just add water & cook. Relatively light to carry... and healthy too. Sorta like when you make foil packets for the grill, you know?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 PM

What's wrong with y'all anyway? I thought we were supposed to buy those pre-packaged, vacuum sealed survival rations. Everybody knows we can't survive without those!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM

A couple weeks ago, I showed up at my son's house and took my 11 yo grandson on a surprise survival camping trip. It was coordinated with his parents, but a complete surprise to the kid. I gave him 15 minutes to pack his survival gear, and off we went into the National forest.

As has been mentioned, I took some bare bones dried stuff (rice, beans, cornmeal, veggies, etc), some taco-flavored TVP, and just in case, a few cans of things.

By the time we got a shelter up and a fire going (nights were about 20*F), it was getting dark. Good excuse for the canned stuff, and I was glad I brought it instead of waiting 45 min or more for the dried stuff to cook. After the coldest night of my life (no sleeping bags, just emergency blankets and pine needles to sleep on), we were exhausted the next morning, and didn't want to do much of anything except feed the fire. More canned food. Kid's attention was wandering, and he had trouble learning the stuff I was trying to teach him about knots, first aid, making things to improve the shelter, and such -- more academics than actually doing things. All of a sudden it was getting too dark to cook, and more canned stuff got opened.

The moral of all this is that in a survival situation, cooking is added time and effort that are hard to come by. You're tired, uncomfortable, and probably impatient. The choice between cooking something and feeding the fire while trying to get some sleep, sleep takes priority. What sounds like a good idea while you're sitting in a comfortable house planning the trip isn't such a good idea when you have to actually do it. Those cans of stuff I took along made the difference between eating and going hungry.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM

I agree with wanting to be able to avoid cooking if possible during such a short term situation. It's extra time, gear, hassle... And since it's for a kid's bag, I want it to be something that worst case scenario, he can handle himself with out having to rely on an adult to prepare it. (It's absolutely not in our plan at all to have him separated from one of us, but things happen and I'd hate for him to be stuck with food that he can't eat.) But, I also want to make sure that it's very calorie and nutrient dense but not excessively heavy (again with trying to provide autonomy as much as possible). The lighter it is, the more he can carry himsef if need be.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Excellent points, marnee. If you're on the move in a situation like that, canned food is just too heavy to carry with you. If the weather had been better (we had to cut the last day off the adventure because a snowstorm threatened to close the FS roads which would have left us in a REAL survival situation for a week), and we could have hunkered down in a nice base camp, we would have been more able to use the dry food I intended to use.

My whole point is that bugout preps should include some fast and easy stuff, everything takes longer to do than you expect it will, and being tired all the time makes it too easy to not bother to eat.

For those who haven't tried it, I recommend a minimalist camping trip with a kid. You'll BOTH learn a lot.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
For those who haven't tried it, I recommend a minimalist camping trip with a kid. You'll BOTH learn a lot.
In a few years we'll have to try that out and see how it goes. He's only 5 now, though, and I don't want to put him off the good kind of camping yet.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The moral of all this is that in a survival situation, cooking is added time and effort that are hard to come by.
Excellent point, grumble! And the practice camping situations are absolutely a must. I used to say, you could tell who you could stand being married to... after a day of driving, setting up a tent in the twilight - cooking - etc. I had to learn that one the hard way - LOL... you'd be surprised how many people simply crumble to pieces and expect to waited on in that situation... and here I was, wanting (and needing to, in the height/strength areas) to lean on them!

Dried fruit, raisins, nuts, pnut butter - and yes, anything warm that can be heated with 1c water, quickly - are essential.