BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Rifles/Shotguns

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default New Ruger 10/22 mags

At the local sports club meeting one of the other old guys was telling me he bought 2 of the new 25 round magazines made by Ruger for the 10/22 and other models it will fit. He is looking to participate in an Apple Seed shoot to be held this summer at the club.

He was telling me how lousy these new magazines performed. Failure to feed, hard to load, bla bla........ So I told him he had lots of time before the shoot, give me the rifle and mags and let me perform some magic on them. He looked at me funny, and I told him "I'm good at this" ........... Actually, I'm not that good, but an excuse to tinker with something that needs attention......... Meticulously cleaned the rifle, which it needed badly. Easy enough to do.

Now the focus of the post. The magazines. Out of the box, they were a pain in the neck to use........ Failure to feed, hard to load, rounds would jam up and not raise to the top. You name it, they messed it up.

Took them apart and cleaned them. The plastic injection parts were superbly done. However inside the cast steel feed head was a mess. Went to the web site rimfirecenteral.com There was a bunch of posts on how to clean up the feed head of the magazines. Mostly good info. I see what the posters found wrong, and how they fixed it.

However, with a bunch of years as a tool maker, I found you can be a lot less invasive than the posts I read and achieve good results. At least on these 2 mags, it took less invasive measures. Basically, it is a case of cleaning up the areas inside the slot where the rounds rise from the mag body, the slot where the rim rides up as it is pushed out of the magazine, on both sides. And burrs on the very last lip that holds the round in the mag before it pops up out of the mag.

About 20 minutes work on each one, with my set of needle files. Clean, reassemble, and test. I shot up about 6 mag loads of mixed ammo in each mag without a flaw. This was a mix of high velocity, standard velocity, match target, bulk boxes, foreign made, and even part of a box of old 22Long ammo I don't know where that came from. All mixed together in a peanut butter jar.

This was my experience with the mags I got to play with. There is a lot of info on rimfirecentral.com that can be useful. And possibly other sites.

Give a shout if you have experience with the new BX 25 mags.
Good luck
Enjoy

Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Good info thanks. I bought my son a device that will allow three 10 round magazines to be mounted to it in a triangular configuration. Works great!! The only other experience I've had with 25 round mags are with an after market clip that I was not impressed with.
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old 02-15-2012, 06:31 PM

Not impressed with aftermarket mags..........

There has been a lot of that. My experience with the early Ramline, Eagle, and Butler Creek mags was some what a disapointment. Basically a "use it and throw it away when it quit" thing.

The later versions of all seem a lot better. I have a couple of old Ramline single stack mags that seem to be going to live forever...... Same with a couple plastic lipped 10 round Eagle mags. These 2 I use for Appleseed. I also have a couple steel lip Butler Creek mags that will last forever.

I like the fact some models come with a clear window on one side.

Enjoy
Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM

I also have never had any luck with after market mags for my 10/22.
These are made by Ruger so I think I will try a couple and see how they do.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know these were available..
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Were those the all metal ruger mags metal and plastic? I only ask because I have been thinking of picking up a couple of the all metal variety.

Teg

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 02-17-2012, 05:30 PM

Teg
These were Ruger BX 25 mags. Plastic bodies, cast steel feed head.

I don't know the brand name of the all machined (aluminum body) mags. Also don't know if they have a steel feed head or any other details about them.

Other than the last time I saw them advertised they were about $65.oo if I remember. The Ruger mags are about $25.oo

I would like to get my hands on one of the milled mags once to look it over..........

Good luck
Old 02-17-2012, 10:28 PM

I think Tactical Innovations puts out one version of the all metal mags, least I think that's who I checked last.

Teg

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Default ALL METAL 10/22 MAGS

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-mach...022-p-212.html

These are the mags teg was speaking of. They are 1st in their ptoducts, business dealings and customer service stricktly 1st class.

No where near cheap, but then you get what you pay for, and when your providing food fighting off predation of every kind what's you food supply worth to you? We use nothing but Ruger factory and the Tactical innovations mags. We beleive in mags and lots of them.

A word about the 10/22 its been on the market for 40 or so years, rugged accurate ans easy to maintain. but the types of 22 RF amo has changed dramatically in those years one size does not fit all and this is whay the adjstments are valuable you may preferto use ammo that has uncommon bullet geometry and the adjustments makes it easy for you to "tune" your mags for the ammo you prefer to meet your needs.

I've never been a big fan of those little lightly contrtructed hyper velocity rds, but since the intro duction of the CCI VELOCITOR the industry has responded with a whole new line of 22 rf 40 gr hypers that have raised the performance of the 22 LR way beyond 22 WRF approaching range and ballisti performance of the LR closer to the WMRF. Winchester has both solids and HPs in thiss class Aguila hs a very inexpensive solid called "INTERCEPTOR."

The rebirth of the CB cap and the range and performance far exceeds what was very limited to versitile low noise game getters and with utility in any revolver or single shot pistol many many Lever Actions, Pumps, bolt actions as well as semi autos my personal battery includes six different Remington Speedmasters, a Belgium Browng gallery gun, severl Hi Std S.A. gallery pitols and even a Beretta Minx that cycles the CCI 22 CB Short perfectly and that has become my no. 1 Utility 22 RF ctg particularly for battling hoardes of Rodents tree and other wise.

Finally you should check out PACO KELLY'S ACU'RZER TOOL whican make inexpensive bulk std vel 22 LR perform as good if not better than most exoticsents, brining capabilities of the less expensive stuf to the level of mid sized predator medicine. Bad news for yote class predators.

Today the comos available on the market have made them much more versitile and able to handle your needs all out of proportion to their cost and size,
Old 04-22-2012, 03:34 PM

I recently purchased two BX25 mags for my 10/22 and have nothing but praise for them. Not a hiccup! Performance has been flawless.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM

I dunno how many of you have tried Paco's tool, but I had mixed results with it. You have to smack the punch with exactly the right amount of force. Too little, and there's no deformation of the bullet nose. Too much, and the bullet obturates so much it won't feed properly.

I bought one and played with it for a while, then put it in my "Maybe I'll Get Back to This Someday" drawer.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Ruger Mag Report...From a Friend

Howdy.

A friend of mine bought one of the new 25 round Ruger mags. No complaints; right out of the box it fed and functioned fine. They are also cleanable. Guess I now have to save my nickles and buy one. Interesting to note though; One of these at $30 is about the same price as 2 original rotary 10 shot mags. Guess they charge by the cartridge! 25 rounds of .22 LR should solve a lot of around the farm issues with only the "on board supply". Kind or a grab and go with spare ammo already in the rifle. Kind of makes the old 10/22 a poor boys AR. A 10/22 lightly tuned, (trigger and sights) and glass bedded will give suprisingly decent accuracy out to 100 yards with common ammo. A one rifle homesteader could do much worse.OzarksJohn
Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 PM

"...makes the old 10/22 a poor boys AR..."

Huh-oh!! Here comes the lambasting! Get ready for the, "it won't penetrate body armor," and "oh yeah? Let's see how it does at 400 yards!" comments. <GGG>

I agree with you. Not so much for the 10-22 in particular, but that a 22 rimfire rifle is about the handiest tool you can have at hand on an acreage, farm, or ranch. I like to always have one within reach.

A fencing tool, hammer, come-along, and 22 rifle are must-haves in the truck.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM

I agree Grumble about the 22. Most of the people who would rib you about a 22, think that size matters, what matters is accuracy. A 22 in the scull of almost anything will put it down for the count. And besides, what's in the sport of shooting something 400 yards away.