Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM

Default Moving manufactured home in Oregon

Anyone have any experience in the last couple of years moving a double-wide from one location to another in Oregon (so. oregon specifically)??

Might be able to get a very good deal on a 28x64 from a friend of ours that just had to accept a job out-of-state. Need to get some numbers together for them, but can't get any kind of firm quote on moving until monday.

Looking at about 70 miles, need tear down before move, but just the basic set up at destination - block, lock, and make sure roof is secure. We can do all the interior stuff later ourselves.

Rough ideas totally welcome - even wild guesses, LOL! I'm hoping between $2500 and $5000. :-)

Mouse Bandit

Old 07-21-2012, 11:41 PM

My family business moves houses here in IN. A lot depends on the age of the home. It may not even be worth moving it. Is it on private property and going to private prop? Or park to private prop? If it is sitting on private property and going to private property, prices will depend on accessible pick to accessible delivery. Splitting the house is easy, setting back up can be costly. Back to age, if it's too old it may not be worth moving, the county may have age restrictions on what size and how old they will allow to be moved into the county. Just because they have mobile in the name.....they are really made to endure multiple moves. Back to moving, if it is to be boarded across wet ground, that an hourly charge usually with a minimum. Lots of stuff! And this is something that you get what you pay for! We have went out to Spokane wa before to move them but it was for a lot more that 5k. Good luck in your travels!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousebandit View Post
Anyone have any experience in the last couple of years moving a double-wide from one location to another in Oregon (so. oregon specifically)??

Might be able to get a very good deal on a 28x64 from a friend of ours that just had to accept a job out-of-state. Need to get some numbers together for them, but can't get any kind of firm quote on moving until monday.

Looking at about 70 miles, need tear down before move, but just the basic set up at destination - block, lock, and make sure roof is secure. We can do all the interior stuff later ourselves.

Rough ideas totally welcome - even wild guesses, LOL! I'm hoping between $2500 and $5000. :-)

Mouse Bandit

If you can get it done that cheap you are lucky---sometimes the moving cost more
that home is worth.

Sorry---but been there done that--you may want to look at other housing options.

Txanne

NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST.
JRR TOLKIEN
Old 07-22-2012, 05:07 AM

I have seen double-wides moved by tow truck companies. I would call a few in the bigger cities like Bend and see what they can do and what they charge. Maybe just the move and not the tear-down wouldn't be as expensive.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies! We did contact a licensed mover in our part of the state (SW corner), and got some encouraging news. The only part that he HAS to do, by law, is the transport itself, and that would only cost about $1500 (that is for about 70 miles)! The "tear-down" and "set-up" can all be done by my husband, and isn't a really big deal to do - just kind of time-consuming.

If we had the mover's crew do everything, it would run $7k-$10k, depending on the exact details of the home - awnings, roofing, skirting, decks, etc. That would probably be out of our budget, but we could certainly swing the $1500.

So, will be talking to hubby when he gets home tonight. This just may work! :-)

Tracey in Oregon aka MouseBandit
Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM

If I may, I'd suggest at least two people for splitting the two halves and bolting them back together. That's the part that a person can get hurt doing.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 PM

Yep - that's what the mover said too - he recommended 3 guys. Hubby would certainly have at least 3 guys, maybe more. Brothers, sons, buddies, LOL! It's good being a country boy! :-)

Tracey in Oregon
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Does the house have axles and tires and tongues to move it.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:09 AM

It has the tongues but we will be renting the axles and wheels from the movers (assuming this all works out!).

Tracey
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 AM

If you go through with it, make sure you move it EMPTY!!! No furniture! I don't care what the mover says, I've seen them buckle in half at some point in the trip. Just a heads up. Hate for ya to spend the money only to have a worthless piece of scrap due to an avoidable mistake.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Also make sure and check out the route for low clearance bridges, and the like so if necessary they can be routed around them. Would hate to find out that it got stuck under an overpass that was too low. I've seen the top of 18 wheeler trailer hanging from a low clearance railroad tressle. Kinda funny but then not as to me it meant the truck driver wasn't paying attention to the "low clearance" signs, especially when he could have gone over the tracks just to the left of where he tried to go under them.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Good points on both issues! I think it is already empty, but I will mention it to hubby to make sure. And on the route, we will scope it out as we drive out to check the house the first time (we haven't even seen pictures of it yet, since we're on the road with hubby's job and the house is back home in SW Oregon, LOL!). I do know hubby will have to clear the sides of our driveway some and most likely raise or disconnect some power lines on the driveway and/or on the property.

I'm going to text the owner (my friend's aunt) today. She's in the midst of moving out of state, so I know things are nutso, but maybe she has already made a decision (a favorable one!) and just not gotten around to telling me yet. :-)

Tracey