BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum Help

Forum Help If you are having difficulty with a Forum feature and cannot resolve it by reading the related FAQ, you can post your question here. Include details!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default THREADS and POST

Oliver,

I posted to 3 different threads---poofff they went
off into la-la land---It is my computer or has any
one else had this problem.

I am on 4G Jet Pack---would that affect--posting?

I have never had this problem--admittedly am not a wizard on
computers--but know how to submit a post.

Thanks

txanne
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Including this thread I can find 5 of your posts today.
Maybe a time delay going on for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
Including this thread I can find 5 of your posts today.
Maybe a time delay going on for you.
Backlash--3 of those were re-post.

I am not sure---whats up-its just aggravating to have to re-write stuff.

Thanks

annie
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 PM

Some internet browsers are set-up to refresh the page everytime you leave that screen and go to another one, or everytime a change happens, and some are set-up to look later on. If you have internet explorer you can check those settings by going here >>

- start menu
- control panel
- internet options
- general tab - browsing history - settings box
- make sure that the circle in front of 'automatically' is checked
- click on the 'ok' boxes while backing out

This should refresh the page you are working on whenever a change is made, such as adding a post or getting a PM... I noticed that you had trouble with that also. I hope this helps because that's the only thing I know of that effects my browsing problems.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnyLake View Post
Some internet browsers are set-up to refresh the page everytime you leave that screen and go to another one, or everytime a change happens, and some are set-up to look later on. If you have internet explorer you can check those settings by going here >>

- start menu
- control panel
- internet options
- general tab - browsing history - settings box
- make sure that the circle in front of 'automatically' is checked
- click on the 'ok' boxes while backing out

This should refresh the page you are working on whenever a change is made, such as adding a post or getting a PM... I noticed that you had trouble with that also. I hope this helps because that's the only thing I know of that effects my browsing problems.

Oh thank you so much---I thought I had done something wrong--but this HP is a tough machine.

I will do that--need to copy this--cause I am afraid to do stuff without the directions
in front of me.

Annie aint afraid to say she dont know---

Thanks Bonnylake---appreciate your help.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 AM

Hey Annie -

I can also think of a few simple things that cause this to happen. My arrow (cursor) keys are really close to and just below the right-side enter & shift keys. When I'm furiously typing away - and I've got a wide-open pipeline from brain to fingers - that's usually when I'll "fat finger" those keys. Also - at the top & far right of my keyboard are the home, page up/down, etc keys... same deal... if I don't know just where I've got those digits set down... maybe some brilliant idea just dropped into my head & I've gone "off" trying to chase it down, rope it, and make it be still...

hitting the home key by accident will take you up a level - back to the thread you were looking at or even back one more to the forum index. Same thing, when I'm hunting around for say the right-side shift key... if I hit one of those cursor/arrow keys... my earth-shatteringly brilliantly argued post* goes POOF!

Sometimes (only sometimes) - just hitting the browser's back button will bring back the reply page and what you wrote; sometimes you only get a blank reply page.

That said, when I was still running Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7 (not all us tech people want to be on the bleeding edge)... I had even more problems with this that weren't just "user error". I never did discover the real root cause; I just assumed I was far enough behind the upgrade curve that I could expect to have problems. So, the workaround I used was to type in Notepad, or MSWord (or even Sun's OpenOffice - this used to be a free office application package)... then copy/paste into the reply window. When you're working on those really long story-type posts... I recommend this method, because then you always have a copy.

This new laptop has a really INconvenient button, that disables the trackpad or any mouse I have installed... and it's super-easy to hit it by accident. The only way to reset those tools back, is sometimes the ESC key... or restarting. Most annoying. I haven't searched down the right page yet, to completely disable that button... but it's days are numbered!!

Good luck!

*yeah, right - hahahaha!