BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 PM

Default Hello from Portland, OR

Hello everyone!

I'm Christina and I'm currently living in Portland, OR. My husband and I moved up here earlier this year because he needed to find work. Before living her we lived in Klamath Falls, OR for 6 years and I miss it a lot. I have decided that I am going to turn my backyard into a little homestead to make up for the fact that we have to live in the city now. There's an old potting shed back there that I'm going to fix up and turn into a chicken coop. There isn't much grass there either so I'm going to lay down a bunch of raised beds and make mulch walkways. I'm thinking of planting a fruit tree, although I haven't decided which kind yet.

I'm a stay-at-home wife, been married for 10 years, and we don't have any children but we're still trying. I'm hoping to start teaching some of my domestic skills to these city women in the hopes of earning a little extra money from home. I like knitting, quilting, baking, and reading.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more from these forums.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Portland OR

Hello! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with your back yard plans. Have you checked with the city to make sure everything you want to do will be cool? I would hate it if you found out afterwards something wasn't allowed. I have always wanted to live in the county far enough to not worry about codes, etc except for the minimal septic etc. Please do take lots of pictures if you can, your journey from "backyard to homestead" will make some good reading. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. Will there be any fall garden this year?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Might be, depending on if I can scrounge enough wood to make my raised beds in time. Some fall greens would be nice. I just moved about 20 large pavers from the backyard to the front yard today. I'm going to make a walkway with them, surrounded by mulch. I have a few more rocks to clear out from the backyard and then I can start marking the spaces where I'm going to build the beds.

I checked the city code a few weeks back and it said that three chickens per home are allowed within city limits. I had 15 chickens back in the country so three seems like such a small flock but I'll just have to be happy with that.

Yes! Pictures! I forgot. lol I'm going outside to take some right now. Thanks for the welcome!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Thank you.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:23 AM

Default welcome from nevada

I too have a smaller lot but in suburbia. I have 12 chickens. I look forward to your posts. I should probably post pictures of my progress also. Hmm Where is that camera.

LoiDreams

Doing the best I can with the Lord's help.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 PM

I miss my chickens. I can't wait to get everything set up for them so I can have fresh eggs and meat. We cleaned out the shed this weekend so now it's a matter of building the run, fixing a little bit here and there, and making the nesting boxes.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome.
I live in Central Washington.
We lived in K Falls in 83 and 84.
We enjoyed it but it was a long way from family.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 AM

Thank you! Yes, one of the things I didn't like about Klamath was how isolated it can be, especially in the winter. My husband misses the desert but I think if we found a little place in the country just north of Portland we might be happy there. Until then, I'm just going to have to make due with my city plot.