BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 AM

Default Hello!

Hi. I signed up recently, but I just checked my e-mail and got a message saying my account was verified. I initially posted here under my mother's account, something that I thank you all for allowing, because it helped me in that it felt like I had found a little bit of my mom left behind on these forums. She was a devout Christian as you all know, as am I, so I know where she is. However, it's nice to have something tangible whether it be a favorite kitchen appliance or her posts on these forums. Thank you all for inviting me to join you here. I can never fill my mom's shoes, but I can hope to walk where she walked (if that makes sense). I would like to say more, but it's 2am, and I have work in the morning. I'm real bad about not going to bed on time, and then pretending to be a morning person. haha

To those who were close friends with my mom (Grizzy), could you post a reply or send me a PM how she knew you? For example, she has a friend named Oldie, but that might not be his (or her) official "forum" name. Anywho, I would like to befriend those my mom befriended.

I also see that this forum is part of some kind of magazine? I would like to learn more about that.

Finally, I've never really had money to help my mom with the whole "prepping" stuff (part time job), so if anyone would like to direct me to the "prepping on a shoe-string budget" threads, I would love that.

Time for bed, gotta get up at 7am.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hiya, Grizzy Jr!
I'm fairly new here, so I didn't have a chance to know your mom. I do like your idea of joining us and "walking where your mom walked", however. That says something really warm and special about you.

Prepping on a shoestring ideas:

Well - a change jar is a good place to start. There is always a quarter, dime and nickel extra that you can add to the jar every day or so. Little baby steps add up, faster than you think!

Buy one get one free sales: of the things you know you use (don't buy any stuff you don't use, just because it's on sale; it'll take up space you could put things you really need). The Dollar stores are absolutely great for basics!

Look at the space you live in, and identify where you have room to store essential items: food, water, tools and first aid & heath/hygene, paper & cleaning supplies. As you gather stuff in, put it away. At some point, you'll want to rotate "stock"... so you'll want a way to keep track of what you've got, what you still need, and how old it is (if that matters for that item).

An emergency kit is essential - and whether this is a "bug in" or "bug out" box or bag always depends on circumstances. Some of us have both, or have figured out a way for one kit to do for both situations. First aid, food that doesn't need cooking, water, flashlight/batteries, hand crank weather radio (or a big stash of batteries)... solar chargers for cell phone, etc... and TOOLS. Everyone needs tools - and that list is as simple as a good knife & leatherman - on up. Buy good tools, though. Nothing worse than really needing a tool and it breaks while in the midst of a critical repair.

Did I mention water?

Read on, friend! there's a serious wealth of information here. And welcome!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Ahhhhhhha you made it back.

So good to see you.

I only knew your mom for a year--but it was a life-time.
Hugs for you.

Kinda roam the forum---let us hear what you do and how your doing it.
Lots of great folks and LOTS of info.

Hugs
txanne
Old 08-18-2012, 06:36 PM

Welcome Bubby, so glad to see ya back with us. Somehow I had a feelin you were the type feller that would walk in ya mommas footsteps. So happy to know that. Griz was a wonderful lady and great friend. I only knew her online and on the fone but loved her like a sista.

Come see us in chat sometimes, would love to have ya!

stelly
Old 08-19-2012, 12:12 AM

Thumbs up Welcome Grizzy Jr.

Welcome Grizzy Jr.

Oldie is still around here somewhere.
Lot's of other friends are too!
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 AM

Welcome to the forum. Your mother was well loved and respected here.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

Mr Grizzy Jr,

Welcome !! So glad to see you, to hear from you. I hope you are doing OK? I recently "lost" my Dear Ol Dad, and when I say recently, I mean it was about two years ago, and Im still after all this time just now barely really getting used to the idea of him being gone. I hope you will allow yourself the time to get used to your Dear Ol Mom having passed. I know what youre going thru probably? Relax and give yourself the time it will take to get used to it.

Lean on us here if you need to; we all loved her, and her Grizzly Cub is due and bound to get priority treatment. She was a wonderful person. Im sure you will walk in her footsteps. You have no other choice. You will do fine, if you just take the time, to get your footing. But, it might take a while. Give yourself that time you need, to adjust. Prayers are with you.

Ironclad
Old 08-19-2012, 11:32 PM

Howdy Jr.

Your mom was very nice to me and tought me many things. I will miss her terribly. Welcome to the forum and come see us in chat.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 AM

Howdy Grizzy Jr.

I knew your mom for a good while. I believe she was the first one to welcome me to the forum when I joined and there have been times we've talked in the chat room many a night when no one else was up or around.

She was truly one of a kind special person. I will miss our chats and her talking about her Bubby. She loved you to pieces.

The magazine is called Backwoods Home. comes out 6 times a year and it teaches you just about anything you ever wanted to know. Artcles on bulding a chicken coop to building a house, you name it. I've been a subscriber sine the early 90's. I absolutely love it.

Look forward to hearing more from you and hope you become a regular on here.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Welcome your mom and I only chated in the chat room. She was a heck of a woman and you was blessed to to have her as your mom. She called me ivie if you couldnt guess. Filling thier shoes we can never do nor should it be expected of us. We can walk the path they laid out for us to see.She would be proud that you are going to give prepping a start. I would recomend you start by buying a little extra when you shop 1 extra box of mac and cheese is that much more you have incase. You dont have to go crazy and buy fancy stuff to start the fance stuff are goals we work towards learn to garden its cheap food and skill. learn to can and dehydrate those skills will add to preps fast.Hope to see you in the chat.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 AM

Welcome buddy,
Your mom was and is loved very much here. And missed more than words can say. She was a prayer warrior. Always there to lift you up, or give you a hug, cry with you or laugh with you. When she went to bat for you she didn't stop till the gates of heaven were opened up & answers found. She welcomed me with open arms. I knew your mom through the prayer thread, email, pm, chat. She was a blessing to me in so many ways. I'm glad you have come back. Visit us in chat sometime.
See ya around.
sissy