BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 AM

I like Green River - the DIY kits were $20 last I looked. I grab used at pawn shops, goodwill and yard sales usually $2 or less and do the repairs, test them and share with friends or sell at a yard sale those that are not so good. Carbon steel are blued and SS are painted if they are good, the others are just pretty and sharp as possible, had a couple of people give back ones that had gotten dull when rhey bought sharp ones - go figure.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Mora 612. Not much to look at but eminently practical, holds a great edge and you can pick one up for about $15.00...heck buy two.

Take care,
Old 04-09-2011, 02:50 PM

I like the knives from Sweden/Finland and their scandi-grind. Often inexpensive, razor sharp and easy to keep that way.

Yesterday I received a "Finn Bear" sheath knife made by Cold Steel that mimics the Scandinavian knives. It came with a nylon pouch-type sheath, which I have wrapped with a few yards of para cord and fashioned into a neck knife. Cost? $12.95! This will make a great "beater" knife and its cheap enough to put one in every emergency kit.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up

Condor knifes from El Salvador.

The bushcraft model is around $32 w/S&H.

But the Hudson Bay knife is the model i am really stuck on. They make one that has a 8" blade and is over 12" overall. Great leather sheath but with the 1075 steel you are going to have to keep it oiled ALOT more than some D2 or 440c knives.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My favorite was a knife I had been given. It's a 24 inch long coffin handle bowie knife. It's quarter inch thick was made from leaf spring. In the spine is a copper inlay. pewter alloy s guard, and pewter butt cap very good knife.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 AM

I got a Becker BK2 for just under $40.....new....the guy just thought it was too heavy for him...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Need a set of butchering knives

fIRST TIME TO DO THIS: I need a set of butchering knives that will last, won't fatigue my hands, sharpen and hold their edge well, and won't break the bank! We will be butchering steers, lamb, goats, and chickens this next year and I don't want to buy junk that I will regret? Does cutco or some other company make a set for this type of work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTimT View Post
When I was a kid trying to figure out how to make money, I sold Cutco knives for a couple weeks... long enough to get some for myself on the cheap and figure out selling ain't my thing. Great kitchen knives and not at all cheap, but not what this is about. Why I mentioned it is when I worked for them, the upper management told me that Cutco/Ontario/KaBar were all the same company out of Olean, NY. I never did look into so I don't know, but I have some of each and they all are great knives within their design limitations. I really like my Ontario tanto and machete.

For a one knive does it all in the woods choice, I have a Cold Steel Kukri that currently sells for under $40 delivered, sometimes under $30 and this shows why I recommend it. http://www.knifetests.com/ColdSteelK...ctionTest.html
Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migfarmer View Post
fIRST TIME TO DO THIS: I need a set of butchering knives that will last, won't fatigue my hands, sharpen and hold their edge well, and won't break the bank! We will be butchering steers, lamb, goats, and chickens this next year and I don't want to buy junk that I will regret? Does cutco or some other company make a set for this type of work?
Back in a former life as a commercial fisherman we'd always rely on Dexter-Russell knives (with the sani-safe handles). They really took a beating and an edge. Also look at the Forschner-Victornox line of professional butchering knives, my sense is that they've taken a lead in the field recently and seem pretty competitively priced.

Take care,
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Default 40.00 knives

Ditto on the Buck folder. 33.95 at Wall Mart. Will handle most skinning needs and still made in the USA. For 41.95 at Walley World you can get a fixed blade buck also made in the USA. If you are looking for a real bargain, the frost mora knives are hard to beat.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokepoleShooter View Post
Ditto on the Buck folder. 33.95 at Wall Mart. Will handle most skinning needs and still made in the USA. For 41.95 at Walley World you can get a fixed blade buck also made in the USA. If you are looking for a real bargain, the frost mora knives are hard to beat.
Not all Bucks are made in the USA. Check the packaging, the blade or the website. I had a hard time finding a Buck made in the USA.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Iím somewhat partial to the Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger, first a little history, Schrade went bankrupt in 2004 and sold their brand to Taylor, who makes the same design in China, but the quality is high and at 15$ or less, itís hard to beat the price.

The Sharpfinger is a fixed blade knife 7.25 inches over all with a 3.5 inch upswept blade. Because of the upswept blade, the Sharpfinger has as much cutting edge as a larger knife, but still carries small. The raised handle configuration ensures that the hand will never slip into the blade, and the thumb-sized concavity on the blade's spine offers exceptional dexterity.

Good all-around knife, excellent for skinning and gutting, I have even used it to fillet fish.

And with a 3.5 inch blade it is legal to carry in most locals, and with the raised handle and thumb spot this knife would be well suited for defense if for some reason you lacked a firearm.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Are they still using the high carbon steel blade that tests out about Rc58?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Master Pontificator

I bought a really nice Kershaw from Smoky Mountain Knife Works for $30.00 on sale.

They have some nice products and DIY kits as well..

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp
Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM

These folks also have some nice blades if you are inclined towards do it yourself projects.

http://usaknifemaker.com/kit-knives-...anks-c-73.html

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 09-10-2012, 12:11 AM

I have found that for the money most of the Old Hickory line of knives serve the outdoors very well.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:40 PM

I've found Mora knives to be a good value for the money spent. The newest model is a combo knife w/firestarter bar in the handle.

http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/...fireknife.aspx