BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Default newbie to the forum

Good Morning all from Alabama!
Just found the forums on BHM but have been a subscriber for a couple of years as a dreamer. In May my husband retired from 30 years of military service and we bought a few acres here in alabama. Wow what a beautiful Place. I have to pinch myself every morning to make sure I am awake. LOL We have been planning and dreaming this for 15 years. I'm still unpacking boxes but we also put in a garden this year, my 1st one ever and I canned up lots of veggies. I even canned chicken and some hotdogs and some sausage yesterday that we got on sale. The only other meat I had ever canned was some hamburger as an experiment last year after I read Jackie's blog. it was great.

Since we have gotten here we raised some chicken's, slaughtered the few meat ones we raised (yuky job), got some pigs - waiting on them to multiply , got a couple of dairy cows and a few beefy ones, and then my favorite, two nubian dairy goats. Oh and two cats and a dog. I was a city girl and have no idea what we are doing - just learning as I go, my husband was raised on a small farm in his teenage years - we all know how well we listen when we are teens right? LOL

we also started an orchard; pears, peaches, apples, and plum - plus we have 3 wild persimmons tree's that are loaded this year - well at the moment unless the critters get them before I do .... lol We also planted some blueberry bushes that we got for cheap, thornless blackberries, and two fig shoots we got from a relative. we purchased some sickly looking rasberry and grape vines a couple of months ago I am trying to nurse back before we plant them - hopefully they will make it.

There is so much we want to do and yet we know we have to slow down.... well I just wanted to say hello and thank you in advance for any help you can be. I am experimenting with homemade bread at the moment and may need some help - so far haven't had a lot of luck. will post under that forum later. Will also have questions on Herbs and dehydrating veggies, but I need to get my thoughts together before I ramble on any further. Thanks again and have a Blessed Day !!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am excited for you. Congratulations on your own little piece of heaven.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome on the forum. Wow,You can teach us something soon at the speed you are going. congratulations. I take it you bought a place with barn and outbuildings in place?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Wow! You have been busy.
Greetings from SW Missouri.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:35 PM

yes truely blessed, it was already fenced and had a regular barn and a hay barn. are in the process of building a large chicken coop (the "Egg Yolk Inn") for all my girls and fella with a large fenced yard for them to roam safely. I have just been reading up a storm for the last few years and tinkering here or there with the canning, a finally getting to use some of it - wish I could remember all I have read but my rememberer doesn't work like it used to. I have been shoping the used book stores for about the last 5 years - you would be surprised at the books people get rid of. I have put together a pretty good library, but somethings are just better seen/watched instead of read.
Do you have animals? I can't wait for my dairy girls to get old enough to breed so I can start learning how to make cheeses & butter, soap etc. do you do that ?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 PM

Welcome from Texas.

Great to hear good news.
Hang in the---its a wonderful life.

Txanne
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 PM

hello and welcome !
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Howdy and welcome from southern Oklahoma and just wanted to say i'm envious, lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you/your family are off to a great start.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:42 AM

HI, I'm new and just read your letter. How exciting is that; to once be city gal turned country gal! I've lived in the country my whole life. I've shopped in the city but never wanted to move there, just too noisy and too much traffic. Welcome to 'our world'! You can't beat having a yard full of fruit trees, berry bushes & a veggie garden. I read you canned hotdogs & sausage? Would you PLEASE share how this is done? I bought a pressure canner three years and LOVE it! Best investment I've ever made. I, too, have canned hamburg with great success. I'll add for those never canning ground beef; buy the (90% or leaner). The 83% sometimes causes the seals not to 'seal' because of the grease. Also, you pressure can for the same length of time as roast. Pork can be tricky, too, because of the high fat content. I just cut off any excess and have canned with success.

Nice to meet you & look forward to your advice on canning!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasuregem View Post
HI, I'm new and just read your letter. How exciting is that; to once be city gal turned country gal! I've lived in the country my whole life. I've shopped in the city but never wanted to move there, just too noisy and too much traffic. Welcome to 'our world'! You can't beat having a yard full of fruit trees, berry bushes & a veggie garden. I read you canned hotdogs & sausage? Would you PLEASE share how this is done? I bought a pressure canner three years and LOVE it! Best investment I've ever made. I, too, have canned hamburg with great success. I'll add for those never canning ground beef; buy the (90% or leaner). The 83% sometimes causes the seals not to 'seal' because of the grease. Also, you pressure can for the same length of time as roast. Pork can be tricky, too, because of the high fat content. I just cut off any excess and have canned with success.

Nice to meet you & look forward to your advice on canning!
Hello from Texas.

Just saw this this am.
You have alot of knowledge---have you been to our food forum?
It is a great place to post this kinda of knowledge and most welcome.

Someone there can share their knowledge.
Great to have you

Txanne
Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM

Welcome from you neighbor to the south in Florida. I'm new here myself. You made me tired just reading all that you have done. I'm jealous.
You are blessed to be living the good life.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Good Morning and Thank you! I truely do feel very blessed.

treasuregem I sent you a pm (private Message) on the hot dogs I canned and where I got that info.

And welcome to the other newbies. I have been so busy the last few days I havent had time to ck the boards here. I canned up some chicken broth and some more pickled okra's and peppers. Plus I have a full dehydrator running of Bell Pepper. Man that's a lot of chopping.

Thank you again for all the warm welcomes I really do appreciate it!