Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Refugee LInes of Drift

I keep reading about channelized areas or lines of drift. Is there a map online that shows this? I googled and found lots of hits saying to avoid them but nothing showing where they are. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:45 AM

In reference to what, Turnip? Geology? Water? Actual refugee routes?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Actual refugees. James Wesley Rawles on Survival Blog talks about them. He says hordes of refugees will leaves cities and follow these lines of drift to find food, etc. Apparently the military uses these when planning for refugee movement out of areas but I can't find a map to show where they are.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM

AH. Well, I can tell you one, then I'll see what I can dig out for maps.

I lived in Winchester, Va. when 9/11 happened. Both hubs & I worked at local colleges in that area. My building, ended up being a remote publishing/reporting location for USA Today - who moved their office out of DC "just in case". There's at least one funny story about that I can tell later. Both he & I were shanghai'd into at least some preps to house refugees, if it became necessary. Him, more than myself - he was a state employee. Winchester was considered a "first-stage" exodus location. Could be Fredericksburg or Harrisonburg was too, but I don't know for sure about that.

And of course, Mt. Weather on Paris Mountain is near there. This is still a secure Federal location... FEMA is the current "tenant", but the facility includes much more than that. Direct routes from DC to Paris Mt include Rt 7 and 50. There is a connecting road (some it not public) between those two state roads.

7 and 50, both feed into Interstate 81. And of course 95, is the N-S direct route out of DC -- and Thanksgiving weekend, will likely be a parking lot in several bottleneck areas, as it is during the summer with beach-goers. 95 branches to 64E - the Norfolk/Hampton Roads/Tidewater area - and the Air Force/Naval facilities there. The traffic can be awful around there... and we used 640 as a more civilized, back-road route to the beach. 64W will feed into the area you're in, in general.

A simple road map, and some common sense, will probably give you all the food for thought you need. If a military evacuation of the DC metro area took place... they're going to utilize the resources that are already there. Drift happens... when people get off those main highway routes -- like our back way to the beach.

This is a topic, hubs and I have talked about. Living where we do - we see the same routes - in reverse. They are also hurricane evacuation routes. In NC, places like Rocky Mount become shelters for those OBX'ers fleeing large storms. Does this help?

I'll go see what I can find for maps, now.

Last edited by whitehairedidiot; 11-16-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM

OK. Some days I get lucky. Here's what I found (and I forgot all about Corridor H, from Va. to WV...)

US Evac Routes:
http://www.ibiblio.org/rcip/evacuationroutes.html

US-DOT:
http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/eto_tim_pse/...ve_summary.htm

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/eto_tim_pse/...tal_region.htm

Self-evacuation locations - maybe closest to "drift"?

http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/eto_tim_pse/...natlcapreg.htm

The self-evac info might be the closest to what you're looking for. There's a good bit of info on Corridor H... and where I used to live, in the WV boonies looks like it's not going to be a prime "drift" area... because of the money required to build that stretch on 55, over the mountains to Wardensville.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM

Wow! Thanks for the info. I'll check it all out!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:13 PM

"Drift" in this scenario is meant as population drifting from one area to another. Refugees really don't have a plan. Just evacuate & hope wherever they go is better then where they were.

Drift is normally along evacuation routes, normally interstates. And people will use those routes whether they have transportation or have to walk.

Ross
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
I keep reading about channelized areas or lines of drift. Is there a map online that shows this? I googled and found lots of hits saying to avoid them but nothing showing where they are. Thanks!
As I understand the term, it's not really something that there would be a map of. Every area is unique. People who are not prepared for travel will probably have the following traits:

They'll follow routes of least resistance: Freeways and highways at first, then, as news spreads about bandits and ambushes, they'll start to fan out to feeder roads.

Few will attempt to bushwhack across country.

Few will have topo maps so they won't know where water sources are, forcing them to think long and hard about leaving a water source.

Following the path of least resistance will continue to play a role for the few who brave the off road path.

If they see any sign of potential support or resource, they will go to it.

Any other thoughts?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 PM

So, Turnip... trying to figure out if you're safe(ish) from the zombies? LOL...

From what I'm reading so far - that little section of VA, if you're far enough away from I-81 or 64W ought be pretty darned safe from masses of people.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM

terrain analysis

The collection, analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of geographic information on the natural and manmade features of the terrain, combined with other relevant factors, to predict the effect of the terrain on military operations.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.

Field Manual 5-33 - Terrain Analysis

www.mc.edu/rotc/.../MSL_202_L03a_Intro_to_Terrain_Analysis.pdf

Lines of Drift = Terrain features natural or man made that ease movement or restrict movement from areas.

A Valley with a road at the bottom is a natural line of drift. The road is easy to travel on and the steeper elevation to either side confines travelers to the road at the bottom. People and animals will take the easy path whenever possible.

Channel= restrict movement. Channel in military purposes is to restrict movement down to one narrow passage (AKA Choke points) a causeway over a swamp, a bridge over deep or fast water, a tunnel through elevated ground. Each restricts the passage of troops and material and makes pinpointing the location of massed concentrations predictable.

Last edited by ArmySGT.; 11-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Lol. Yes! Actually a friend at church was saying that they were right in the line of drift from N. VA and DC but they are closer to 81 than we are. I was trying to find out where he got that information but apparently he just looked at maps and figured it out. I can't see why anybody would come this way! We're about an hour from 81. I would have to look at a map to remind myself just where 64 is!

I appreciate everybody's thoughts!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 PM

Just posted and saw that last post, ArmySGT. Thanks! I'll check out those links. Well, we are in a valley with a road so I don't know......
Old 11-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Thank you Sarge!

Doing what I can to learn more about tactics.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:09 AM

I just watched the best show on youtube about this. A guy named Joel Skousen wrote the book on it and it is now in it's 3rd edition called "Strategic Relocation." He was interviewed and went into great detail on his book and some of his ideas. He brought up actual case studies where the Germans civilians were running from the Russians in WW2 and that they were looting farms as far as 5-7 miles from major roads during their flight. I think around 40 minutes it started getting good, but watch the whole thing. It took a little while to start getting good, but when it did I had to go back and listen to some of this stuff over and over. Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzjm...8&feature=plcp
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 AM

Have a place incase you have to evacuate. It should be no further then you can get on one tank of gas. And could be that only cash will work to get gas. Prioritize what items will be taken & make sure what you plan to take will fit in your vehicle.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Turnip: outside of the valley and it's road... you've got high ground, right? Is that accessible? is it wooded? Is there a lot of undergrowth? can you walk it, or do you have to cut a trail? Is there concealment and cover? Where do the deer trails run? (If you haven't looked, there are deer trails up there, I'll bet.)

Because IF a bunch of bad guys started down the road, what Sarge is saying is you'll be up on the hills - hidden & safe. Then, there are two choices: let them take what they can carry and move on... (and you can kind of lead them to certain things and make it very difficult to find the rest)...

Or from that vantage point, they make easy targets.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Out here in the wide west, I'd think it would depend a lot on mode of trasnportation. There are a lot of ATVs and 4WD vehicles here, not to mention horses and "shanks mares."

The condo dwellers would stick to main arteries at first, but again, depending on what they're evacuating from and headed towards (radiation? food? zombies and disease?), if the paved roads don't take them there, or if there's no fuel, no telling what route they'd follow.

The more self-reliant folks would take dirt roads, and then switch to power line clearings and railroad service roads. But, I'd think that those people would be preppers themselves, the stupid and criminal types would stay in fairly dense clusters near someplace where they would have a chance for outside help or better pickings, respectively.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Longhorn Gardens, thanks for the video link! Interesting that looters traveled 5-7 miles off the main road.

I checked Google Maps and we're several hours away from Highway 64.

Yes, we have a wooded hillside, basically on both sides of us. We have 21 acres on the west side of the road and my aunt owns abut 80 acres on the east side of the road. About 14 of our acres are woods, mainly deciduous but some rhododendron thickets. Aunt's is mostly woods. I don't know where a tank of gas would take us that would be more rural than we are here.

Much food for thought!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Longhorn Gardens,

I too watched the full length video "Strategic Relocation" on youtube. It was very informative. I went back and rewatched sections. He seems very knowledgeable in what he is presenting. Made me take a second look at the area we want to purchase land in next year.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:46 AM

FM 3-90 Tactics

FM 100-2-1 Soviet Operations and Tactics

FM 3-7.22 Counter Insurgency Operations

What is the difference between Strategy and Tactics?

In a Strategic situation you are within the sound of the enemies guns. In a Tactical situation you are in range of the enemies guns.