BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Banana brandy (or others)

Friend of mine from appalachia boonies shared with me a brandy recipe.

WARNING: DISTILLING IS CURRENTLY ILLEGAL IN THE UNITED STATES. THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES IN ORDER TO SHARE AN RAPIDLY DYING ART THAT'S A VERY INTERGRAL PART OF AMERICA AND IT'S HERITAGE

80 pounds of bananas, the riper the better brown spots are fine.
20 pounds sugar (they also advocated molasses/sugar cane to make a banana rum but didn't go further into it)
5 packs of yeast (EC-1118 a type of champaigne yeast. Also advocated turbo yeast a type of distillers yeast that might make a banana vodka)
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient

Mash the bananas with water to puree them. Pour into a 30 gallon fementer. Heat sugar with water, add to fermentor, add nutrients and top to the 20 gallon mark. Let cool, activate and pitch yeast. Let sit 65-70 degrees for 15-18 days. Run in a pot still very slow and low (173 degrees). He does a 2 10 gallon run as not to over fill his 15 gallon pot. BE SURE TO STRAIN OUT ALL OF THE PULP ON THE BOTTOM!!! Not doing so will ruin the still resulting in a long hard clean up.

The result is 2.5 gallons (from 20 gallons) of high quality 100 proof banana brandy. (57.1% alcohol by volume)

Last edited by Grendal; 11-16-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 AM

Only difference between making brandy & whiskey or shine is use of corn or fruit. Bananas, apples, peaches, etc can all be used to make brandy.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Grendel, I thought it was only illegal to make hooch if you were going to sell it. I thought, for personal use, it was OK for the most part. Seems like the limit is something like 8 gallons or near there.

Of course in some states if you fart the powers that be try to tax it as making methane.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
Grendel, I thought it was only illegal to make hooch if you were going to sell it. I thought, for personal use, it was OK for the most part. Seems like the limit is something like 8 gallons or near there.

Of course in some states if you fart the powers that be try to tax it as making methane.
In the US it's completely illegal. BATFE site:

Spirits
You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19. It takes roughly $2000.00 dollars to go through all the red tape.

Unlike wine or beer, the laws and regulations governing distilled spirits contain no provision that would allow someone to produce spirits in their home for personal use. Under 26 U.S.C. Section 5171 operations as a distiller, warehouseman or processor may be conducted only on the bonded premises of a qualified distilled spirits plant. To qualify such a plant, a registration, application for permit and bond must be filed in addition to other supporting organizational documents. 26 U.S.C. 5178 places restrictions on where a plant can be located.

In other words distilling any alcohol in the united states is illegal with the exception being for fuel (and it gets tested and has to have additives that render it undrinkable). It is classified as a felony to distill without the required permits and paperwork. I've been trying to change this for over a year, but can never get enough petition signatures. If your interested in trying to help with that or if anyone would like to help with it.

Link to my petition, need to sign up for a free account to sign it . https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...eople/zHzR3Vfl
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Only difference between making brandy & whiskey or shine is use of corn or fruit. Bananas, apples, peaches, etc can all be used to make brandy.
That it can, though that's a small fortune in pomegranates if you wanna make a pomegranate brandy lol. (613 seeds average per pomegrante and you'd need 80 pounds worth lol) The seeds would then need to be pressed to release their juice. Mmmm yummy.