Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Some earth batteries and a few big caps would make a free energy back-up. Might take a few months for it to recharge but it would. Use an isolation diode so the energy wouldn't leak back into the battery..

BTW.. Thanks for that link, David!
*Robert Frost*

Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
Some earth batteries and a few big caps would make a free energy back-up. Might take a few months for it to recharge but it would. Use an isolation diode so the energy wouldn't leak back into the battery..

BTW.. Thanks for that link, David!
I hadn't heard of an earth battery before. That's pretty interesting.

Did some googling but couldn't find much in the way of soil requirements.

Our property is a valley and the low point is always moist, even during the recent drought. Lots of clay soil that retains moisture everywhere, and a hand dug well that had water in it even duing the drought.

Curious how much power one could get from something like this, although I suppose with the price of metals these days, it would be an expensive undertaking.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Been here done all that!
Almost died twice!
Finally, Conquered the problem!
Now, Im ready to enjoy ice cubes during the apocalypse!

Let me make thing clear to you guys,
Makin electricity is HARD and EXPENSIVE...
Anyone who tells you otherwise is scamming you, lying to you, or utterly ignorant.

When it comes to this subject: YOU CAN NOT CUT CORNERS on Mother Nature...
Do it and she will try to KILL YOU in a variety of painful ways!!!
She is a brutal, unforgiving Witch!
and Lightning quick to dispense DEATH and injury, if you break even one of her Laws briefly.

Bang! Like stepping on a bug and with less trepidation too.

However, once your agonizing labor intensive system is set up,
and done with an overkill of toe kissing Mother nature by strict and redundant obedience to Physics, reaping electricity is relativity effortless.

To see all my VAST errors and my final tenacious Victory please read:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=29577

Last edited by Steadfast; 11-27-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
One skill I've been thinking about researching is lead acid batteries. There's likely to be a lot of them around for the taking.
What is your plan for getting shot while stealing batteries?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
What is your plan for getting shot while stealing batteries?
I didn't mean taking as in stealing.

Today, used lead acid batteries can be had basically for free - they're considered recylable waste in my neighborhood in Cleveland. I suspect in a post SHTF situation, they'll be even more available as few people will be able to rejuvenate them.

We have about 6 already abandoned on our property in WV, and I would have to pay to dispose of them - haven't even been able to find someone to take them for nothing.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM

Worst case scenario from a hail storm is a break of the glass that vacuum is lost then you have the chance of corrosion. Solar panels shot with a gun can be repaired. Bypass the bad cells with jumper wires. The voltage on these is set for around 18V & only need around 14V to the controller for a charge to go to the batteries. Though you won't have a vacuum seal, you can remove a broken glass panel from a solar panel & replace with a window pane caulking it in place.

Last edited by HuntingHawk; 11-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Been here done all that!
Almost died twice!
Finally, Conquered the problem!
Now, Im ready to enjoy ice cubes during the apocalypse!

Let me make thing clear to you guys,
Makin electricity is HARD and EXPENSIVE...
Anyone who tells you otherwise is scamming you, lying to you, or utterly ignorant.

When it comes to this subject: YOU CAN NOT CUT CORNERS on Mother Nature...
Do it and she will try to KILL YOU in a variety of painful ways!!!
She is a brutal, unforgiving Witch!
and Lightning quick to dispense DEATH and injury, if you break even one of her Laws briefly.

Bang! Like stepping on a bug and with less trepidation too.

However, once your agonizing labor intensive system is set up,
and done with an overkill of toe kissing Mother nature by strict and redundant obedience to Physics, reaping electricity is relativity effortless.

To see all my VAST errors and my final tenacious Victory please read:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=29577
You want ice in the summer?

Well you make a cold cellar and save lots of CLEAN sawdust. In the winter you go to the pond and cut out big blocks of ice you put in the cellar, Then you cover them with sawdust.

Ain't that simple!!!

All it takes is 1 backbone and some WORK
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post

Well you make a cold cellar and save lots of CLEAN sawdust. In the winter you go to the pond and cut out big blocks of ice you put in the cellar, Then you cover them with sawdust.

Ain't that simple!!!

See THAT is why I come here.
You guys have totally cool answers for just about everything.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:

Ain't that simple!!!

and the willingness to lose several people to drowning, frostbite, or hypothermia in the process.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

Eight foot down here it is 70 degrees. And we get some ice here about once every ten years.

HH
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
and the willingness to lose several people to drowning, frostbite, or hypothermia in the process.
I guess you don't like ice fishing either?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I guess you don't like ice fishing either?
Never done it, but I don't care for fish anyway. Every year there are news reports about cars, trucks, and ATVs that have fallen through the ice, and unfortunately that means some fishermen too.

Let's not put on our old timey rosy lenses. Ice cutting for refrigeration was dangerous, often fatal.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Seems if you were serious about this, it would be more efficient to build some freezing containers - probably cube-shaped.

Being smaller, they'd freeze faster (wouldn't have to wait for the entire lake/pond to freeze over) and then you wouldn't have to cut them, or risk falling through if the lake/pond hadn't froze solid when harvesting.

Plus, you could use potable water rather than whatever happend to be floating in the pond at the time.

I'd think there are better methods for insulating than sawdust, which would be a bit messy I'd think, and loses it's insulating properties when wet - perhaps foam boards that are widely available at home stores.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Never done it, but I don't care for fish anyway. Every year there are news reports about cars, trucks, and ATVs that have fallen through the ice, and unfortunately that means some fishermen too.

Let's not put on our old timey rosy lenses. Ice cutting for refrigeration was dangerous, often fatal.
My Grandfather had a stream fed "ice pond" and "milk house" that held the ice and saw dust. He and my uncles cut the ice and skidded the blocks on sledges to the milk house. They never fell in nor lost a draft horse, and the milk was cold in August.

P.S. The the ice fishing is another SHTF skill you should learn. Just like getting hurt with a firearm, and there are lots of reports of that, with ice fishing it's only the uneducated and foolish that hurt themselves taking fish in the winter.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
My Grandfather had a stream fed "ice pond" and "milk house" that held the ice and saw dust. He and my uncles cut the ice and skidded the blocks on sledges to the milk house. They never fell in nor lost a draft horse, and the milk was cold in August.

P.S. The the ice fishing is another SHTF skill you should learn. Just like getting hurt with a firearm, and there are lots of reports of that, with ice fishing it's only the uneducated and foolish that hurt themselves taking fish in the winter.

Gonna take a pass on ice fishing, not a skill necessary in Colorado. Lakes at lower elevations don't stay frozen over or freeze to a safe thickness all that often. I'm better off trapping.

As for cutting ice blocks, glad your family didn't have a tragedy, doesn't change that historically it was fatal given an accident.

Chrisser is right, the modern method is to make blocks of ice, or ice/sawdust block with ingot shaped molds on nights below zero. Granted if one has a cold cellar already.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM

SGT the ice ingots are a good idea.

But will need cold enough weather to get a good solid block, and a "clean" source of water too.

I did not realize CO did not get a good freeze at "lower" elv.

We had a mild winter last year almost no safe ice on ponds, but in the past have seen 30" + of ice, enough for a trailer truck/dozer.

Realize the blocks from a pond or ingots will not be sterile so only for cooling and not consumption.

The other thing is the sawdust. Grandpa used dust from his circular mill which added no oils as a chainsaw would, sometimes the horses added some flavor.

If using a chainsaw sawdust a bio-oil would be the way to go. For my chainsaw sawmill I use bio-oil or cheap veggie oil on the bar so I can use the sawdust for mulch and such.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Master Pontificator

Default power

I had an exercise machine that I stripped for parts. Along with what I needed I found a 15Volt elec magnet motor, DC. There are a lot of these machine laying around that might could be bought cheap. In a crisis, use the DC motor as a generator, power it by steam. That way you're turning wood and waste to elec power.
Another thing that might really need it's own thread is: Has anybody here built the crystal radio? As a kid in scouts we built them. NO POWER needed, no batteries etc. It turns the signal power itself to audio. That's assuming someone will be broadcasting after TSHTF.