BHM Forum      
Subscribe to Backwoods Home Magazine print or Kindle editions
Office Hours Momday - Friday  8 am - 5 pm Pacific 1-800-835-2418

Facebook   YouTube   Twitter
Follow Us!



 
Backwoods Home Magazine, self-reliance, homesteading, off-grid

Features
 Home Page
 Current Issue
 Article Index
 Author Index
 Previous Issues
 Newsletter
 Letters
 Humor
 Free Stuff
 Recipes
 Print Classifieds

General Store
 Ordering Info
 Subscriptions
 Kindle Subscriptions
 ePublications
 Anthologies
 Books
 Back Issues
 Help Yourself
 All Specials
 Classified Ad

Advertise
 Web Site Ads
 Magazine Ads

BHM Blogs
 Massad Ayoob
 Ask Jackie Clay
 Claire Wolfe
 Where We Live
 Dave on Twitter
Retired Blogs
 Behind The Scenes
 Oliver Del Signore
 David Lee
 Energy Questions
 Bramblestitches

Quick Links
 Home Energy Info
 Jackie Clay
 Ask Jackie Online
 Dave Duffy
 Massad Ayoob
 John Silveira
 Claire Wolfe

Forum / Chat
 Forum/Chat Info
 Enter Forum
 Lost Password

More Features
 Meet The Staff
 Contact Us/
 Change of Address
 Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show





  
 

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

  Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
12vman's Avatar
12vman Male 12vman is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Posts: 1,764
Default

Some earth batteries and a few big caps would make a free energy back-up. Might take a few months for it to recharge but it would. Use an isolation diode so the energy wouldn't leak back into the battery..

BTW.. Thanks for that link, David!
__________________
"Without Deviation from the Norm, Progress is not Possible".
*Frank Zappa*
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference"
*Robert Frost*
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
chrisser Male chrisser is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland OH / Palestine WV
Posts: 1,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
Some earth batteries and a few big caps would make a free energy back-up. Might take a few months for it to recharge but it would. Use an isolation diode so the energy wouldn't leak back into the battery..

BTW.. Thanks for that link, David!
I hadn't heard of an earth battery before. That's pretty interesting.

Did some googling but couldn't find much in the way of soil requirements.

Our property is a valley and the low point is always moist, even during the recent drought. Lots of clay soil that retains moisture everywhere, and a hand dug well that had water in it even duing the drought.

Curious how much power one could get from something like this, although I suppose with the price of metals these days, it would be an expensive undertaking.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Steadfast Male Steadfast is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Farmlands of NC.
Posts: 122
Default

Been here done all that!
Almost died twice!
Finally, Conquered the problem!
Now, Im ready to enjoy ice cubes during the apocalypse!

Let me make thing clear to you guys,
Makin electricity is HARD and EXPENSIVE...
Anyone who tells you otherwise is scamming you, lying to you, or utterly ignorant.

When it comes to this subject: YOU CAN NOT CUT CORNERS on Mother Nature...
Do it and she will try to KILL YOU in a variety of painful ways!!!
She is a brutal, unforgiving Witch!
and Lightning quick to dispense DEATH and injury, if you break even one of her Laws briefly.

Bang! Like stepping on a bug and with less trepidation too.

However, once your agonizing labor intensive system is set up,
and done with an overkill of toe kissing Mother nature by strict and redundant obedience to Physics, reaping electricity is relativity effortless.

To see all my VAST errors and my final tenacious Victory please read:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=29577

Last edited by Steadfast; 11-27-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:18 AM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. Male ArmySGT. is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisser View Post
One skill I've been thinking about researching is lead acid batteries. There's likely to be a lot of them around for the taking.
What is your plan for getting shot while stealing batteries?
__________________
This is a how-to, homesteading and self-reliance website and Forum. We want to attract people who are primarily interested in those areas and for whom politics is secondary.
Oliver
Here's an internet truth; just because it bothers you, doesn't mean anyone else cares! - Me.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 AM
chrisser Male chrisser is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland OH / Palestine WV
Posts: 1,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
What is your plan for getting shot while stealing batteries?
I didn't mean taking as in stealing.

Today, used lead acid batteries can be had basically for free - they're considered recylable waste in my neighborhood in Cleveland. I suspect in a post SHTF situation, they'll be even more available as few people will be able to rejuvenate them.

We have about 6 already abandoned on our property in WV, and I would have to pay to dispose of them - haven't even been able to find someone to take them for nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM
HuntingHawk HuntingHawk is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Default

Worst case scenario from a hail storm is a break of the glass that vacuum is lost then you have the chance of corrosion. Solar panels shot with a gun can be repaired. Bypass the bad cells with jumper wires. The voltage on these is set for around 18V & only need around 14V to the controller for a charge to go to the batteries. Though you won't have a vacuum seal, you can remove a broken glass panel from a solar panel & replace with a window pane caulking it in place.

Last edited by HuntingHawk; 11-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
Mad_Professor Mad_Professor is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Been here done all that!
Almost died twice!
Finally, Conquered the problem!
Now, Im ready to enjoy ice cubes during the apocalypse!

Let me make thing clear to you guys,
Makin electricity is HARD and EXPENSIVE...
Anyone who tells you otherwise is scamming you, lying to you, or utterly ignorant.

When it comes to this subject: YOU CAN NOT CUT CORNERS on Mother Nature...
Do it and she will try to KILL YOU in a variety of painful ways!!!
She is a brutal, unforgiving Witch!
and Lightning quick to dispense DEATH and injury, if you break even one of her Laws briefly.

Bang! Like stepping on a bug and with less trepidation too.

However, once your agonizing labor intensive system is set up,
and done with an overkill of toe kissing Mother nature by strict and redundant obedience to Physics, reaping electricity is relativity effortless.

To see all my VAST errors and my final tenacious Victory please read:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=29577
You want ice in the summer?

Well you make a cold cellar and save lots of CLEAN sawdust. In the winter you go to the pond and cut out big blocks of ice you put in the cellar, Then you cover them with sawdust.

Ain't that simple!!!

All it takes is 1 backbone and some WORK
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Steadfast Male Steadfast is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Farmlands of NC.
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
You want ice in the summer?

Well you make a cold cellar and save lots of CLEAN sawdust. In the winter you go to the pond and cut out big blocks of ice you put in the cellar, Then you cover them with sawdust.

Ain't that simple!!!

All it takes is 1 backbone and some WORK
See THAT is why I come here.
You guys have totally cool answers for just about everything.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 AM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. Male ArmySGT. is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
You want ice in the summer?

Well you make a cold cellar and save lots of CLEAN sawdust. In the winter you go to the pond and cut out big blocks of ice you put in the cellar, Then you cover them with sawdust.

Ain't that simple!!!

All it takes is 1 backbone and some WORK
and the willingness to lose several people to drowning, frostbite, or hypothermia in the process.
__________________
This is a how-to, homesteading and self-reliance website and Forum. We want to attract people who are primarily interested in those areas and for whom politics is secondary.
Oliver
Here's an internet truth; just because it bothers you, doesn't mean anyone else cares! - Me.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
HuntingHawk HuntingHawk is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,280
Default

Eight foot down here it is 70 degrees. And we get some ice here about once every ten years.

HH
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Mad_Professor Mad_Professor is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
and the willingness to lose several people to drowning, frostbite, or hypothermia in the process.
I guess you don't like ice fishing either?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. Male ArmySGT. is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
I guess you don't like ice fishing either?
Never done it, but I don't care for fish anyway. Every year there are news reports about cars, trucks, and ATVs that have fallen through the ice, and unfortunately that means some fishermen too.

Let's not put on our old timey rosy lenses. Ice cutting for refrigeration was dangerous, often fatal.
__________________
This is a how-to, homesteading and self-reliance website and Forum. We want to attract people who are primarily interested in those areas and for whom politics is secondary.
Oliver
Here's an internet truth; just because it bothers you, doesn't mean anyone else cares! - Me.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
chrisser Male chrisser is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cleveland OH / Palestine WV
Posts: 1,158
Default

Seems if you were serious about this, it would be more efficient to build some freezing containers - probably cube-shaped.

Being smaller, they'd freeze faster (wouldn't have to wait for the entire lake/pond to freeze over) and then you wouldn't have to cut them, or risk falling through if the lake/pond hadn't froze solid when harvesting.

Plus, you could use potable water rather than whatever happend to be floating in the pond at the time.

I'd think there are better methods for insulating than sawdust, which would be a bit messy I'd think, and loses it's insulating properties when wet - perhaps foam boards that are widely available at home stores.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Mad_Professor Mad_Professor is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Never done it, but I don't care for fish anyway. Every year there are news reports about cars, trucks, and ATVs that have fallen through the ice, and unfortunately that means some fishermen too.

Let's not put on our old timey rosy lenses. Ice cutting for refrigeration was dangerous, often fatal.
My Grandfather had a stream fed "ice pond" and "milk house" that held the ice and saw dust. He and my uncles cut the ice and skidded the blocks on sledges to the milk house. They never fell in nor lost a draft horse, and the milk was cold in August.

P.S. The the ice fishing is another SHTF skill you should learn. Just like getting hurt with a firearm, and there are lots of reports of that, with ice fishing it's only the uneducated and foolish that hurt themselves taking fish in the winter.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM
ArmySGT.'s Avatar
ArmySGT. Male ArmySGT. is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
My Grandfather had a stream fed "ice pond" and "milk house" that held the ice and saw dust. He and my uncles cut the ice and skidded the blocks on sledges to the milk house. They never fell in nor lost a draft horse, and the milk was cold in August.

P.S. The the ice fishing is another SHTF skill you should learn. Just like getting hurt with a firearm, and there are lots of reports of that, with ice fishing it's only the uneducated and foolish that hurt themselves taking fish in the winter.

Gonna take a pass on ice fishing, not a skill necessary in Colorado. Lakes at lower elevations don't stay frozen over or freeze to a safe thickness all that often. I'm better off trapping.

As for cutting ice blocks, glad your family didn't have a tragedy, doesn't change that historically it was fatal given an accident.

Chrisser is right, the modern method is to make blocks of ice, or ice/sawdust block with ingot shaped molds on nights below zero. Granted if one has a cold cellar already.
__________________
This is a how-to, homesteading and self-reliance website and Forum. We want to attract people who are primarily interested in those areas and for whom politics is secondary.
Oliver
Here's an internet truth; just because it bothers you, doesn't mean anyone else cares! - Me.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Mad_Professor Mad_Professor is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,089
Default

SGT the ice ingots are a good idea.

But will need cold enough weather to get a good solid block, and a "clean" source of water too.

I did not realize CO did not get a good freeze at "lower" elv.

We had a mild winter last year almost no safe ice on ponds, but in the past have seen 30" + of ice, enough for a trailer truck/dozer.

Realize the blocks from a pond or ingots will not be sterile so only for cooling and not consumption.

The other thing is the sawdust. Grandpa used dust from his circular mill which added no oils as a chainsaw would, sometimes the horses added some flavor.

If using a chainsaw sawdust a bio-oil would be the way to go. For my chainsaw sawmill I use bio-oil or cheap veggie oil on the bar so I can use the sawdust for mulch and such.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 AM
tomato204 Male tomato204 is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TN zone7a
Posts: 897
Default power

I had an exercise machine that I stripped for parts. Along with what I needed I found a 15Volt elec magnet motor, DC. There are a lot of these machine laying around that might could be bought cheap. In a crisis, use the DC motor as a generator, power it by steam. That way you're turning wood and waste to elec power.
Another thing that might really need it's own thread is: Has anybody here built the crystal radio? As a kid in scouts we built them. NO POWER needed, no batteries etc. It turns the signal power itself to audio. That's assuming someone will be broadcasting after TSHTF.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -2. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.