Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Master Pontificator

Default How to get rid of the flu?

Ugh. I am sick with the flu today. I feel awful - fever, aches, sore throat, sneezing, stuffy nose, etc. I need to get better as quickly as possible because I have little kids to care for. Does anyone have any tips for me?

I have vitamin C, but I am unsure if it really works or not. I take it all the time and it seems that I still get sick. I also take cod liver oil every day and although I still believe it is healthy, it doesn't seem to prevent me from getting sick, either.

Probably, sleep is what I need. Which is the one thing I can't get. My one year old won't allow it.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My best advice is do not eat sugar!! A study was done in the 1970s showing that sugar immobilizes white bloods and inhibits their ability to destroy bacteria, etc. If you haven't eaten sugar for 12 hours, A WBC can destroy up to 14 bacteria. The more sugar you eat, the fewer bacteria it can destroy. 24 teaspoons of sugar and the WBC can barely destroy 1. Most people think "I'd never eat 24 tsp in a 12-hour period!" . Just check your labels! 4 grams of sugar equal 1 teaspoon. Just add them up and you'll be surprised. Drink plain water instead of juice.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM
Master Pontificator

Wow! I had forgotten about that. I guess I shouldn't have eaten those chocolate covered almonds last night. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Master Pontificator

The doctor did a test on one of our sons, determined it was the flu, gave him a shot and he was over the flu within twenty four hours. Don't know what the name of the shot was, but they also give tamiflu tablets to help get you over the flu. If you don't go to the doctor, stay in bed, homemade chicken soup and plenty of liquids, Acetaminophen for fever, Ibuprofen for body pain, and anthistamine for decongestant. If you have a nebulizer do a breathing treatment to help you breath better. Hope you get to feeling better.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Get a bottle of Jack Daniels & consume as needed till empty. If not over the flu by then repeat.

But serious, hot green tea with alot of honey is suppose to help.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Find someone that can help with the one year old and get some sleep. Everything else is great but if your body doesn't have down time to heal itself, you still stay sick longer.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM

And you don't want to expose the little one to flu, either.

I use oscillococcinum for a full-onslaught flu. And lots of fluids and rest.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
Find someone that can help with the one year old and get some sleep. Everything else is great but if your body doesn't have down time to heal itself, you still stay sick longer.
LOL. I wish.

Well, I've been resting best as I can, drinking lots of herbal tea, taking vitamin C, and avoiding sugar...but I'm sicker than ever. My throat is so sore and swollen, my nose is running like a faucet, and my ears hurt. Now everyone is sick, including the baby. She has a fever too. Not fun.

I guess all we can do is hunker down and wait for this flu to run its course. I hope it won't be much longer. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM

I'm sorry you feel worse! Your body is fighting with the viruses and sometimes it's a tremendous battle and we feel worse temporarily. You are doing the right things to allow you body to fight unhindered. We like to use a heating compress for the sore throat.

Here's how: take a thin washcloth and wet it with COLD water. Put it around your neck and cover it with plastic wrap so none of the wet cloth is exposed to air. Then cover the entire thing with a huge wool sock or a tea towel and pin it with a big safety pin. Leave it on for 8 hours or so. When you take it off, wash the area with a cool, moist cloth. What happens is that your body will try to warm up the cold cloth and will send lots of blood to the area with it's white blood cells. This will help fight the infection. Can be done during the day or while you sleep.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:28 PM

A hot tottie will help get rid of, Boiling water, a shot of whiskey, teaspoon of ginger if you stand that much and sweeten with honey to your taste. Wrap up in a blanket, your gonna sweat and it should break your fever and get rid your bug. And if that don't work, take HuntingHawks advice and drink the bottle DRY.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Tami flu now flu shot next year
Old 12-05-2012, 01:39 AM

What kind of flu?

Just a fever/congestion? or vomit/diarreha ?

The latter you need to stay hydrated, most important. A mixture of baking powder, cream of tartar and sugar in water works (rehydration fluids need K Na PO4 and energy). When you can eat/keep things inside, light easily digestible foods, with more fluids. Wash up any thing from either end as that is a potential source of infection.

The bronchial flu I'm not so certain. Lots of fluids, warm to keep the nose/chest free of phlegm. Herbal teas with honey/rose hips has worked good for me. Honey also helps with coughing. Eat what you can that is easily digestible.

In both cases sleep whenever you feel well enough, the body heals then. Be able to remove blankets as any fever works up. In some of my cases a final "sweating" fever/warmth left me well.

If your temperature rises too high, disregard my last statement. Any thing over 101-102 oF time to see the doctor. Can't do that cold compresses....

Best of luck, MP
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM

It's too late for tamiflu now, but in the future you can use an antiviral within the first 24hrs to kick the flu. Tamiflu is made from star anise. I just buy star anise by the pound, or even ground star anise seed by the pound, and make tea from it.
Elderberries also have antiviral properties. Sambucol is sold OTC and will kick flu within a couple of days if you take it every hour.
Get well soon.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Master Pontificator

Thanks everyone. I am feeling much better today, although still coughing like crazy. Too bad everyone at our house caught this - dh had to take 3 days off work, which we really can't afford.

Mad Professor, it was bronchial flu, with a mild fever.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherCharlotte View Post
...but I'm sicker than ever.
Now everyone is sick,
Thanks for all the advice!
If mamma ain't happy......

Rest. Stay WARM! Fluids. Rest. Don't go out. Green tea, honey. Rest.
Chicken soup, warm foods! Vita C , and Zinc
Looks like all good advice. Take care.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 PM

I eat echinasia in the winter time, but when I start feeling my head get stuffy, I start nasal washes with a saline solution, takes some ibuprophin, avoid sugar, processed food, and I make what we call here a sick soup, I take a hot and spicy chinese soup, add ginger and then I add things like cabbage, carrots, kale, beansprouts, and what ever immune stimulants in foods I can find. cook it up and serve it. I try and make 50 qrts a year of it so it is on hand. I use homemade chicken broth on the water part of the soup also.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Master Pontificator

The husband and I are sick again! The flu just won't leave us alone this year. Good thing two of our roosters are meeting their end tomorrow - we'll have lots of homemade chicken broth to go around.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:21 AM

If you get it early, elderberry can work wonders. At least it has for me and several friends and family. Have to take it regular and often ( I do 4-5 times/day).
Seems to help colds as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Elderberry tincture does wondrous things. Sambucol is great to have on hand and is easy to find, but you can also make your own mix with dried elderberries. Vitamin D is also an immune system vitamin.
I am going to try momma to seven's star anise. Sounds like a great item to have in our cupboard.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Master Pontificator

It is probably a bit late to help Charlotte, but here is what I do: 1) step into a warm shower and slowly turn the hot water up and the cold water down until it is as hot as you can possibly stand, 2) rotate under the shower for at least 10 minutes (longer if possible), 3) very slowly turn the cold water up (the hard part) until it is tepid (around body temp). If done properly, you will feel your body relax (to the point it may be difficult to remain standing). Go straight to bed and sleep until you wake up naturally (no alarms or external noises). In my experience, it beats the flu. Young children (or anyone disabled in any way) should not do this as there is a scald danger with hot showers. I also realize that uninterrupted time is not always possible (we have 6 children), but if you can get the time.... A nice backrub after the shower helps, too, if it can be done without chilling.