Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons > Handguns

Old 11-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Beretta Tomcat, .32ACP - Opinions?

I have been thinking about getting one of these for a long time now. What do you guys think? I usually carry a S&W 638, but have been thinking about this one as it is a bit slimmer and packs a bit more punch than my Beretta Jetfire.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 PM

The only super small pocket pistol I have fired was a Taurus 25acp.

Having hands more like paws, I was surprised at how easy it was to handle, fire, and how accurate it was, even up to 25 yards.

People will get blue in the face saying this caliber is better than that caliber. Or make or model.......... Sometimes it is fun to aggravate them just for my own entertainment.

Bottom line is, if you like it, and can use it effectively, go for it.

I wouldn't want to ware any of these small calibers home under my skin. So they all deserve respect.

Post range report...... With pictures.....

Enjoy
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9er View Post
I have been thinking about getting one of these for a long time now. What do you guys think? I usually carry a S&W 638, but have been thinking about this one as it is a bit slimmer and packs a bit more punch than my Beretta Jetfire.
9er, I had a Beretta Tomcat for quite a few years.....HAD to have one when they came out, as I've been enamored with the .32 ACP cartridge for many years (it was the only pistol caliber my Dad ever had!).....When in skilled hands, the .32 ACP can be an adequate self-defense cartridge......look how many bad guys met their untimely demise at it's hands in Europe the last hundred years; it was a standard Police/military cartridge over there up until the late 70's.....

Alas, I traded it off, but I've been thinking about getting another, it was a FINE "mouse gun", that was REALLY easy to conceal (with a proper pocket holster), and I didn't feel under-gunned when it was the only one I was carrying.....

One Caveat: don't get the anemic 71-grain FMJ ammo, except for practice....There are still a few ammuntion manufacturers that make their ammo to European (HOTTER) standards.....Here are a few I've found that afforded good velocity, functioning, and expansion in my Tomcat:

This first load, the Fiocchi 60-grain JHP, was what I always carried in it, and still do in my only current .32 ACP handgun, a FN 1910:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/452...oint-box-of-50

These were also good SD loads for the TomCat:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/689...nose-box-of-20

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363...oint-box-of-50

Pricey, but you aren't going to be shooting this stuff a lot, just seeing how it functions in yours, and carrying it for SD.

DocSoos
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM

Thanks Doc!!! I am heading to the gun stores this weekend. I may pick one up.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Neither the 25 or 32 has the stopping power needed for someone charging at you. But a good 22 has more penetration then either the 25 or 32. So a small 22 auto for something like a lightweight ankle holster would be & is my choice.
Taurus USA has a lifetime warranty. I bought a used one that the timing was off & just had to pay to ship it to them. They repaired & paid shipping back. A nice thing about them is they like the higher power 22LR ammo to operate.

Ross
Old 03-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9er View Post
Old thread, but, for those who may still be thinking about it: I carry a Beretta, 'Alley Cat' (A, 'Tom Cat' with night sights). It's a fairly expensive pistol that shoots OK, but doesn't stand up well to daily wear. (The finish on my alloy frame model is largely worn off.) A lot of guys have had reliability issues with early model, 'Tom Cats'. I'm one of the lucky ones; somehow, mine works well; but, unlike my Glocks that I can run thousands of rounds through without experiencing any significant wear, the useful life of an alloy frame, 'Tom Cat' is something less than 5,000 rounds. (If this sounds like a lot, for a serious shooter who practices often, it ain't.)

My, 'Alley Cat' is my BUG. If I buy another BUG to replace it, I'll definitely get a 45ACP caliber Springfield XD(s). (Same size, but a lot more oomph!) The best thing I can say about the, 'Tom Cat' is that, because of the wide backstrap and fat grip, it is easy to: point, aim, and shoot well. I have never had a problem transitioning down from a full size pistol to my, 'Alley Cat'. Inside 15 yards it remains an accurate, deadly pistol. Still, having finally handled an XD(s) that would be my first choice for an ideal BUG.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:23 PM

Mrs. Fernman carries hers daily and remains proficient with it. A better choice of caliber than .25 ACP / .22 LR or in some cases .380. I have been known to carry it when I can't be troubled to go upstairs and grab my typical carry piece(s).

It's a functional piece, compact design, and comfortable to operate. My only irk is the mag release in the base of the grip panel, it hasn't been an issue thus far but I see where it could be as a combat handgun design. YMMV.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 AM

I have no 'hands on' experience with the Tomcat.