BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Hi there - the best online supplier I've found is Barnitts in York but I'll let you into a secret.....Morrisons supermarket have the 500ml jars for 1.50

I got my canner through an American friend here in the UK who got it sent over from her US Amazon account and have been having great fun with it.

I've also, after much failure of my GoogleFoo, found out that to get wide mouth jars over here you need to look for Terrine jars and found this site http://www.leparfait.com/recipes which gives European pressure canning info and how to use the clip top jars - I can confirm that contra to US advice it is perfectly possible to know when they've sealed - you undo the clip and if it's not sealed it pops open if it has sealed you can grip the wire lug and lift the whole jar up by it and it stays shut.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 PM

Oh, also, be careful if you use yoghurt or cream in the corma - dairy products have a bad reputation for separating during canning. Is not something that has a lot of effect on me as I'm actually cows milk allergic and use oak cream instead but I'd suggest a small test run.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Tarvae, I didn't even think to look in morrisons.

Thanks for the link, i'll have a look as I quite fancy the wide mouth jars.

You're right, my Korma is a no no, i've been reading up about adding dairy etc and this recipe has yogurt, single cream and creamed coconut in it. It tastes too good to change the recipe so I'll just be freezing it.

I've had 2 very quick trial runs with the pressure canner and have successfully held it at a steady pressure, unfortunately it wasn't the 10lbs that I wanted lol. I'll have more time next week to play around with it and figure out what settings I need my hob at.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 AM

Howdy Ananake, welcome to the forums from southern Oklahoma.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:18 AM

Hey,

Welcome from Mustang, Oklahoma. Retired military guy here. Wife and I have been prepping seriously since 1978 so we've made all the mistakes there are I think. Raise a garden, couple chickens, geese and burn untold cords of fire wood as Sweetie likes it on the warm side. We travel some as time and money allow. Lots of hobbies and we're up for just about anything. We fell in love with Ireland last year, just returned from 2 weeks about in Europe and next year we're making plans for a couple weeks around June in England and maybe some bicycling around Scotland. I'd be open for interesting places to see around your aor if you have suggestions. Again, welcome.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks txplowgirl.

Hi Incoming, I'm jealous of your wood burning fire.

I too fell in love with Ireland, my step daughter married an Irishman and and moved over there, our first Grandchild, who is now 9 months old is Irish.

My favorite places to visit in Scotland are the Highlands and Islands, probably because I live in the city, I prefer to visit more rural areas but the Cities have a lot to offer too and of course we have lots of Castles, Lochs and Heritage Sites to visit and spectacular scenery.

This site would be worth looking at before you come...
http://www.visitscotland.com/
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM

Tks for the link. We'll probably do the city thing in and around London but we're hoping to do our bicycling in the "outback" of Scotland. Lots of planning yet to do.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Passed On

Would love to visit Threave Castle, since we have Douglas family ties to there and in Galloway, but it probably won't happen.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM

Welcome to the forum. I just did 10 days in Scotland. Flew into Glasgow. Went down to Ayr (descend from Kennedys of the Ayrshire coast) then up to Oban & Glencoe area, over to Inverness, down to Aberdeen thru the Highland Heritage Trail, and finally to Edinburgh. Really loved it there and plan to go back in the next year or so.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 AM

That sounds like an amazing trip vr, lots of beautiful scenery
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Patience, I wonder how many Douglas clans there are? My grandmother was a Douglas... and her mother was still alive, when I was a tiny kid... but there are no other records past that. Paternal grandfather - Irish - same thing. Dead ends... in the records. Part of that is a lack of records in general in Appalachia.