BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Default Need a new plan for my propane range

I bought a whirlpool gas range/stove 4 years ago. It has been a piece of junk. Now the thing is having crazy temps in the oven. All over the place. goes 75 degrees too low, then tonight it burned up some stuff.

I am ready to junk this stove. I want one I can use in a power outage. NO glow bar that sucks electric the entire time you have the oven on.

I want one that I can use the oven and the burners in the case of a power outage.

Will have to get a 30 inch one. Recommendations???

thanks ann from KY
Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Just got us one of these. (in black) Runs on natural or propane. Easy to convert. There is a model with a window in the oven door but what's the sense. No external power to it means no light..

http://www.menards.com/main/see-more...481-c-7209.htm

For the price of the window, we got one of these instead..

http://www.menards.com/main/applianc...934-c-9332.htm

Here's a coupon code to save ya $20 on the shelf.. 082052 www.PremierTopShelf.com (online purchase only)

The stove is on sale right now. You'll save $50. Both products are American Made..
*Robert Frost*

Last edited by 12vman; 12-31-2012 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Fix Link
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afptl View Post
Will have to get a 30 inch one. Recommendations???
Lehmans has this one. https://www.lehmans.com/p-4473-brown-gas-ranges.aspx The only thing that might be a draw back is that it takes a 9 volt battery for the ignition system.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 PM

It may be simple to fix.
Try this site and see if it can help.
http://www.fixitnow.com/
Old 01-03-2013, 04:16 AM

Default no electronic ignition stove hunt

I have been doing a lot of research on it. The Premier one looked nice. Actually, I found Hotpoint and GE also have 1 model each that runs on a 9 volt battery. It is supposed to last 3 years.

Some of them that take a battery can be lit with a match on the burners on top and the oven. Still researching which one does what. I called the Brown stove co. and their battery one can Not be lit with a match. That's what the lady I talked to on the phone said. So I am ruling out that one.

I have also thought of finding an older stove at a used appliance store that works off a pilot light and just turning off the pilot and using a match. Still thinking about that one.

I will have to see if we have a Mennards close enough to drive to. Thanks for the input and open to any more!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

The Premier can be lit with a match. The oven could be too but doing it through the broiler drawer would be difficult.
*Robert Frost*
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Default Pilot Light older propane/gas stoves??

Still working on Plan B on the propane stove to cook on in the kitchen. I have resigned myself to just using the top burners as I have an old electric stove in the basement I can bake in. Running up and down the steps might burn a few calories as well!!

anyhow, in my quest for a propane stove that can be used when the power is out, I am thinking about getting a "vintage" older stove that has a pilot light. I do think I might be able to find one on craigslist. I have to have a 30 inch stove unless I knock out a cabinet. I was thinking if I left the pilot light on in the oven it would be handy to raise my bread in there since it might be a little warm. I have had a pilot light stove years ago. I think we turned the burner pilot off and just used a match on the top.

Can anyone recommend a brand to me to look for in the older pilot light stoves? Or do you have a model in your kitchen you are using that works good for you? I am fine if it has a plug for a clock or timer, but don't want to have the glow bar or electronic ignition that doesn't work unless you have power. thanks much ann from KY
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM

I bought this Premier stove in September from Lowes online:
30-in 4-Burner Freestanding Gas Range
Item #: 65320 Model #: SMK240OP
It uses power for clock, timer and Piezo igniter, but can be lit with a match for both burners and oven. It has 2 standard burners, a high output and a simmer burner and NO glow bar.

I was able to get it on sale with free delivery (major savings there-I live waaaay out). I have been very happy with it. Baked biscuits, beef roast and a turkey equally well.

Hope this helps some.