BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy > Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal

Hydro/Wind/Wood/Geothermal And other types of alternative energy

Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Wind turbines

Well, well,well it seems that we need to do another life cycle cost for this : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-12-years.html
Old 12-31-2012, 03:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

With no mention of the dead birds, they have yet to include the whole cost of those things. Twice the cost, half the energy, half the life span as predicted.

No surprise! Please stop using taxpayer money to fund them here.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 PM

I agree.

Wind power on its own in terms of this nations energy needs cannot justify itself in any conceivable ROI, it can only be done through credits from coal powered power plants, that with today's technology cannot meet the stringent emission standards set for them.

It is a two edged sword. Because no new coal powered power plants can meet the extreme environmental standards set for them, no new power plants are being made. So this leaves old power plants to either buy credits and have that money go to building wind power projects, or old style power plants are being idled, and to supplement the grid, wind power projects are coming online to replace them.

Either way it is a loss for the citizens of this country since the price of electricity is going up when a perfectly good, American based energy supply is right here to use...and can last another 400 years at current consumption rates. Wind power is being crammed down our throats when its feasibility has not yet arrived.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 PM

Talk to anyone with a mini or micro windturbine. High maintenance & little output. I even know people that have taken them down & storing in the garage rather then do the maintenance on them.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 PM

I really believe the solar stirling systems are the future.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 AM

The only time a wind turbine will save you money is if it is yours on your own property. The big Utility companies aren't in businesses to save you money pure and simple
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Even then the return on investment is dismal.

My uncle has one and it saves him $65 per month on a $17,000 windmill. Do the return on investment of that and it quickly becomes apparent that he would have been well ahead of the game if he had invested that $17,000 in efficient appliances and other ways to reduce his total KW's needed per month.

Now if he had built a home-built low cost windmill, the Return on Investment would have worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
The only time a wind turbine will save you money is if it is yours on your own property. The big Utility companies aren't in businesses to save you money pure and simple
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post

Finally some SANITY. I use to own a 4000 watt wind turbine back in the mid to late seventies. I had about 40KW of storage batteries. One of the best days of my life was when the 120 foot tower and turbine came down. I am now 66 years old. I have no idea how I would have done the required service on the unit today. The turbine required monthly service. The batteries required daily tending for liquid level and cleaning. They won't even save you money if they are on your own property. I could have done better with a tin cup on the corner. JMO

Charlie
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 AM

There is an accountant that has a wind mill to power his office. The other they I went to see him and noticed that the darn thing wasn't turning and we always have a good breeze here in the easter coast of Puerto Rico. I asked what happened and said it was broke and was waiting for a repairman to come. I chuckle and then asked him, did you turn the power on? He almost kicked me out of the office.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 AM

One of the electric suppliers in this area has put up 24 wind turbines in the Groton, NH area. Online target date was in late 2011. If your lucky, when you drive down the main road you might actually see a few of them spinning.