BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Default best 100 dollar folder?

The last 10 years Ive been carrying a SOG Xray vision as my everyday knife, and Ive always been very happy with it, but it is starting to show its age, and Ive been thinking of replacing it. Ive been considering the Benchmade griptillian which hits right around the 100 dollar price range. anyone have some other recommendations? Id like a knife that can double utilitarian and defense, and has the capability to used lefthanded as far as one hand opening and closing. In other words the thumb stud has to cover both sides, and the clip need to be relocatable. Also been looking at some Emersons, are they worth the extra hundred bucks or so? or is it paying for a name?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

Too many makes/models out there to choose from. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM

Depends what model you are really interested getting. Fleebay has a few you can check. Great knives for sure.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNH View Post
Too many makes/models out there to choose from. Good luck with your search.

I agree...I have a few that meet your criteria, none of which cost me anywhere near a hundred bucks.

My everyday knife is a small leatherman with the two screwdrivers included, but I have others that are kept at my desk and in the console of my car, and in two of my holsters...

Also I have some boot knives used when on the farm...

I have given ladies a neck knife that while suspended around her neck the sheath is under the center point of the bra which allows easy access for the last resort defense weapon for a woman... VERY easily concealed there.

Anyway, good luck on your search... there are lots out there for less than the hundred bucks...but all knife choices are personal!

Regards,

Dennis G
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM

The Benchmade Griptillian is a great choice in that price range. I've been carrying a Doug Ritter Mini-RSK Mk1 with the yellow handle for 4 or 5 years now, and I love it. It's basically just a mini-Griptillian with some custom features specified by Doug Ritter. http://www.dougritter.com/dr_rsk_mk1.htm

I went with the bright yellow handle because it looks more like a tool and less threatening than a black "tactical" knife, and it's easier to find if I happen to drop or misplace it. I also keep one of Doug Ritter's Special Edition MkII Photon Freedom Micro lights attached to the knife's lanyard hole, which is also bright yellow: http://www.dougritter.com/dr_photon.htm

Here's an older picture from when I was a bit too much into my EDC gear... everything but the knife and the light are no longer carried in my pocket, but live in a pouch that stays in my laptop or other bags.