BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Default Chaga fungus

hello all,

Just wondering if anyone one here has heard of, collected and or used chaga. It's a fungus found on birch and is reportedly very high in antioxidants, anti cancer, and anti HIV properties. I found and harvested some today while out deer hunting and was wondering what you all had as far as input. I don't always trust everything I read on the internet and always welcome experienced advise. Thanks in advance.

billyclayton
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 PM

So, it's that nasty looking black stuff on birch trees? Didn't know it had medicinal properties. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyclayton View Post
hello all,

Just wondering if anyone one here has heard of, collected and or used chaga. It's a fungus found on birch and is reportedly very high in antioxidants, anti cancer, and anti HIV properties. I found and harvested some today while out deer hunting and was wondering what you all had as far as input. I don't always trust everything I read on the internet and always welcome experienced advise. Thanks in advance.

billyclayton
I have been using chaga and collecting my own for months.This stuff is good i'm convinced.I have high blood pressure and took 10 mgs. a day to control it.I now take 5mgs. every 2nd day and my blood pressure is 82/125 most every day.My sugar level was around 10-12 and is @ 5-6 most days.Bowel movements are a big thing as well. If anyone wants any e-mail john1957@shaw.ca. We use the fine grind and drink it mixed 2/3 coffee1/3 chaga ever morning.Not too sure about the other stuff. I have heard lots but unless I see it. Its very high in antitoxines I have read about 300% higher than blueberries.I am a believer and am going to continue taking it.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:51 AM

thanks mirmir,

I figured there was enough info on the web that said the same stuff that some of it must be true. You said you mixed it with your normal coffee grinds? I might have to try that. Thanks for your input.

billy
Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM

Default chaga and it's look alike

Hey there folks,

Just wanted to clarify that there are two dark kinda gross looking fungi that grow on birch trees.

One is sometimes called "shelf -fungus" because the bottom of the fungus is flat, like you could flip it over and put a few miniature books on it. It is usually greyer though it can get black when it's moist or the birch is very rotten.

The other is chaga. It is more rare, at least in central Ontario and much more dense. It's very hard to chop, you need a good sharp knife. It is mostly black on the outside and orange-brownish on the inside, kinda like a Crunchie bar.

Shelf fungus is good for holding the coal of a fire-put in inside the fungus, put the fungus in your pocket for hours. The coal should still be able to start a fire afterwards. I'm not sure if it has any medicinal properties.

Chaga is the one that is a powerful medicine.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM

My father is always hacking it off trees in ME. I found that if you brew it as tea and then use that water through the coffee maker it bypasses the taste issues. So you can make a bunch of chaga tea and then just use it for your coffee every morning.