BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default simplest soap recipe

I am going over to a friend's tomorrow to make soap. She found a recipe that does not need for the fat to be premelted and heated. You add the lye to distilled water, let it dissolve and add the fat. stir as usual. the heat of the lye heats the fat. It sounds logical. I am anticipating and hoping it works well. Is anyone here aware of this method and has tried it? I'll post how it goes.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 AM

Rosie I am thinkin the large difference in temps will not start the soponification process correctly and the soap will separate. IF you get the temp of the lye solution and fats within 5 or 10 degrees of each other the soap will set perfectly. I think we had some experience with that at the meet up. The batch I made traced suddenly and was brittle, not real good, big temperature difference. The batch Randy made was closer together temp wise and it jelled an set perfectly. I also think it will be really hard to mix water and fat like that. I strongly recommend melting the fats and getting them to near the same temp as the fats and then pour them. But thas just the method to my madness as I dont like failures.

Have a great day!

Stella
Old 01-03-2013, 06:19 PM

yeah..but Stella, with this recipe, the temp. of the lye and fat will be exactly the same, as the lye will be heating the fat. at least that seems to be the idea behind it.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom View Post
I am going over to a friend's tomorrow to make soap. She found a recipe that does not need for the fat to be premelted and heated. You add the lye to distilled water, let it dissolve and add the fat. stir as usual. the heat of the lye heats the fat. It sounds logical. I am anticipating and hoping it works well. Is anyone here aware of this method and has tried it? I'll post how it goes.
That is the only way Mama ( my mother,)ever made soap and we've always done the same except twice and the one time we warmed the fat first we had it separate and never again. Always use the "cold" method. If you have nice clean fat or grease, the lye water gets plenty hot to melt the grease.

Last edited by oldtimer; 04-14-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: add parenthesis