BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Default Pots used in soapmaking?

Hi everyone, I have been wanting to start soapmaking for a while and this weekend I'm going to gather up the equipment I need. Most resources I've seen have said to use stainless steel or unchipped enamel pots for mixing the basic soap (I know no aluminum). My questions are:

1) Can copper or any other type of metal pot be used safely to mix the lye/fat in?

2)Can an aluminum pot be used during the hand milling process since the lye has already combined in the basic soap & you're just melting that basic soap?

I've looked thru most of the soapmaking posts and don't remember seeing this subject, so I apologize if this is a re-run
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome alabamabelle, nice to have you here.
When I make soap I most times use a plastic bucket to mix the fat an lye solution in. I stir with a stick blender as I add the lye solution to the fats. All this is for making cold press soaps. Last time I made a batch of soap I used a 1 gallon ice cream bucket to melt the fat in the microwave. I use a glass pyrex measuring cup to mix the lye with the liquid. When I get the temps right an add the lye solution to the fats I first turn on the stick blender in the melted fats an start slowly pouring in the lye solution. Blend till it leaves no oils floating on top. Let it rest a bit then blend again, repeat about every 5 minutes till trace is achieved. Then pour in the molds of choice. I dont have any "special " tools that I use just for soap, after all its just soap and they can be washed and most people use "soap" of some kind to wash their dishes. So with that being said, if you have a stainless steel kettle or cooker, use it for soaping. I dont use anything aluminum in soap making. Dont have copper so dont know about that. I do have a big stainless steel stock pot that I would use if I chose to make a large batch of soap. But this is just the method to my madness.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 10-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Last time I made soap, I made enough to use the whole big can of lye. I had a lot of tallow on my hands from butchering a beef. I am with Stella, I use plastic buckets. In the past I have also made soap in my stock pot, but that was a while back. Melted the fat in the pot, had the lye water in a plastic bucket. I use a paint stirrer on a power drill.
Welcome here, have fun.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 AM

I was lead to believe not to use alumiun pots---enamel only--but that was years ago.

Thanks

annie
Old 10-20-2012, 12:35 PM

You are correct Anne, lye will react with the aluminum. You can use enamel or stainless steel pots for soap making. I like the ice cream buckets. IF you have a batch harden too fast(maybe caused by an additive) then you can let it set in the bucket an peel the bucket away an still cut the soap. No loss!

Have a great day!

stella
Old 10-20-2012, 06:27 PM

Thanks everyone! Bookwormom, I hadn't thought of using the paint stirrer on a drill- that would be so much cheaper than buying a stick mixer! I'm so glad you shared that with me
Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 PM

I found a long narrow wooden box I want to use as a mold. I intend to clean it, oil it and line it with cheese cloth or parchment to make it easy to unmold.
My question is, though, I think the box may have been used to ship lead plates (it came from an old print shop) Could there be enough lead left to leach into the soap?
Thanks
Crackergirl
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackergirl View Post
I found a long narrow wooden box I want to use as a mold. I intend to clean it, oil it and line it with cheese cloth or parchment to make it easy to unmold.
My question is, though, I think the box may have been used to ship lead plates (it came from an old print shop) Could there be enough lead left to leach into the soap?
Thanks
Crackergirl
You aren't eating it, so I doubt it. I'd mix a batch of lye water and soak the box in lye water, then rinse it out. I think that would take care of your problem. If the box won't hold water, then soak it in a larger container of filled with lye water.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:50 PM

for molds I use the boxes that canned goods are setting on at AldI. they are just about perfect for the purpose.