BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 05-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re curve/Compound ???

Re curve/Compound ???

OK...... I've got a couple questions for bow people......

I see compounds at garage sales quite often...... Hardly ever see a re curve. Can you take something as simple as a re curve and put a set of sights and string peep on it for very occasional use ???

I know compounds take periodic maintainance. Can they be bought at a garage sale for cheap, set up for very occasional use, and set in the closet ??

It seems more complicated than that....... ??

Thoughts, Experience, Details... ??
Old 05-25-2013, 03:37 PM

Yes you can & can be very effective. Better yet, practice with it once in awhile & you don't need that rear peep. Some recurve bows made even 30 years ago came with the mount hole in the front. That mount hole I found most effective for bow fishing however.

Advantage of a recurve over a compound is it doesn't need the tuning/maintenance of a compound bow.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM

Advantage of a recurve over a compound is it doesn't need the tuning/maintenance of a compound bow.
----------
That is what I kind of thought. I could set in the corner like an old 12 ga and just be there when you need it, with minimum fuss and muss.......... That is why I was wondering about the sights...... Just respect your distances and use as needed.......
Old 05-25-2013, 11:41 PM

I started out with a compound, It was heavier then my rifle and no satisfaction to get my deer. Then went to a recurve and that was better now I snap shoot with a long bow and when you get a deer with a long bow It is an accomplishment. If my shoulder is good I use the long bow, if not I use the front stuffer.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 AM

I hunt with a compound, have two. One is a new Matthews, and it's an absolute piece of very effective art.

The other is a Jennings Mag T. I've had this bow for almost 30 years. I keep extra strings and such for it, but it typically sits in the closet. I take it out a couple times a year, wax the string, and its good to go. I don't think I've replaced anything for the last 5 years at least, and it stays functional and deadly accurate.

So, I can't complain about the long term viability of compounds.

However, with that said, I will probably end up getting a recurve this season and start playing around with it. I agree that they are more bulletproof then a compound. I kind of consider it a step closer to a pure hunting experience, will make that step in a season or two.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 AM

If you practice enough you need no sights whatsoever. Tip of the arrow and your bow.

I used to shoot 100 shots a day from 15-60 yards. My arrows were worn bare from shooting

Practice up hill and downhill too. It will be intuition,

I would look at the sight as a sort of crutch, or not enough practice.

P.S. I am lucky my eyes are still good

P.P.S. I shot until I could hit 5 in a row at 60, that wore out a lot of arrows/fletchs/knocks, About head size 6 "

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 05-27-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
However, with that said, I will probably end up getting a recurve this season and start playing around with it. I agree that they are more bulletproof then a compound. I kind of consider it a step closer to a pure hunting experience, will make that step in a season or two.
My husband wants to get a re-curve as well for the same reason - just to take another step towards "pure hunting". Last year 2 weeks before opening day of hunting season someone stole his compound bow out of his truck one night. Pissed us off to no end. I think I was madder than he was. Had to get another one and try to learn this one right away to be hunting in time for opening day. (he had been saving for another shotgun so luckily we had the money for another bow, but he didn't get the shotgun)

For the OP -

He waxes his string regularly and on his first bow he replaced the string after I think it was 2 seasons of hunting. But it's less maintenance on a bow than a gun really, or seems to be to me.

For what it's worth, he started with a peep but went to a kisser button. He gets more accurate shots and more often with the kisser button. So that might be an option for you too.

We're in the process of picking up guns (Ruger Mark III 22/45 and whatever rifle, haven't decided yet) for rimfire competitions. After that I might look at a bow, not sure I'll hunt with it, more for just shooting. My husband brings home enough venison and I don't know that I could shoot a deer. If I had to do it to eat I could, but as long as I have him bringing it home I don't have to worry about that.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Re curve/Compound ???

OK...... I've got a couple questions for bow people......

I see compounds at garage sales quite often...... Hardly ever see a re curve. Can you take something as simple as a re curve and put a set of sights and string peep on it for very occasional use ???

I know compounds take periodic maintainance. Can they be bought at a garage sale for cheap, set up for very occasional use, and set in the closet ??

It seems more complicated than that....... ??

Thoughts, Experience, Details... ??

If you want something for occasional use you will be much better off with a compound bow.

The main reason is let-off, there is none on a recurve bow but there is up to 80% on a compound bow. If you don't practice regularly with a recurve your muscles wont be up for it not to mention that accuracy will be poor. A compound you can let sit for months and pick it up and after a shot or two your on target.

Next, it's a lot easier to find a properly matched used compound bow than it is a recurve. Most compounds are sold with sights, arrows, release and case.

As for maintenance on a compound, there isn't a whole lot, just keep the string waxed and keep the cables and cams clean. Any wear on the string or cables and you can take it to the local shop to replace.

Here in my area recurve bows are in vogue again some old used ones are fetching several hundred dollars.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/1...ditional-bows/

I wrote this a few months ago...hope it helps

TS

http://1899home.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM

Really good article you wrote there TS.

Small game with a bow is a lot of fun, challenging but fun.

Thanks for posting.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 PM

Thanks
I actually get paid to write these days. I like sharing stuff I know.
TS

http://1899home.blogspot.com/
Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad_Sticker View Post
http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/1...ditional-bows/

I wrote this a few months ago...hope it helps

TS
Excellent article, thanks!