BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Nother Texas newbe

greetings all from the lone star state.

More specifically, I have retired from the Austin area to my little bit of heaven north west of Brownwood (Brown County near the Colman county line). 20 acres at the end of a private road in the woods, little two room cabin, nice garden spot which the hoppers seem to get to enjoy before I do, lots of browse for my goats, and lots of peace and quite for this old goat which is just about all I want or need at this time in my life.

VietNam veteran, degree in geology, stone mason and master fireplace builder (rumfords from scratch - no kits), and a pretty competent architectural stone carver and sculptor. Now I'm back to where I used to be before hormones, marriage, kids (human) and career detoured my ambition -- homesteading and moving towards self sufficiency.

Been reading BHM for a couple of years now, but just decided to join the fun at the forum since I needed some trustworthy advice on a goat issue.

Anyway, happy to be here,

JVC
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Welcome fellow old goat from another Texan.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 PM

Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post

More specifically, I have retired from the Austin area to my little bit of heaven north west of Brownwood
Welcome! Just minutes ago I returned from your neck of the woods. I was attending Annual Training at Camp Bowie with the Texas State Guard (If you download "The Guidon" I'm on the current cover, holding our Regimental colors). I have to say it's an honor to serve with Texas's finest!

Every time I drive out there I take 16 through Desdemona, DeLeon, Comanche etc. because I just love that area. I could see myself out there sometime or another. I have some family roots a little further North West in the Cisco and Albany area.

Anyway. . . it took you about 30 seconds to make me jealous so welcome!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:42 AM

Advice for goats is buy cheap and sell high, there that should do it. Welcome to BWH. Sounds like you have been stoned for most of your working career. Good stone work really sets a country place into the next level. Take care my friend and enjoy the forum
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post

More specifically, I have retired from the Austin area to my little bit of heaven north west of Brownwood (Brown County near the Colman county line). 20 acres at the end of a private road in the woods, little two room cabin, nice garden spot which the hoppers seem to get to enjoy before I do, lots of browse for my goats, and lots of peace and quite for this old goat which is just about all I want or need at this time in my life.

VietNam veteran, degree in geology, stone mason and master fireplace builder (rumfords from scratch - no kits), and a pretty competent architectural stone carver and sculptor. Now I'm back to where I used to be before hormones, marriage, kids (human) and career detoured my ambition -- homesteading and moving towards self sufficiency.

Been reading BHM for a couple of years now, but just decided to join the fun at the forum since I needed some trustworthy advice on a goat issue.

Anyway, happy to be here,

JVC
Welcome from another old goatee Texan--live in SE Tx.
Sounds like you have a handle of the (life)A chisle maybe?
Goats milk makes great cheese thats all I know about them. LOL

annie

Good to have you.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM

A big welcome from the mountains of Oregon!
Old 06-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Sorry it took me a while. Welcome!

The closest I have been to there is Abilene.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the hearty welcome.

Randal--I was over Camp Bowie way this past thursday and saw that it was a big weekend there. Waitress told me that you all had to stay on post because it was rodeo weekend also.

DavidOH--I'm about 60 miles from Abilene--closest HEB grocery store is there, and while living in the Austin area I developed a fondness for some of their house brand items so I occasionally make the trip. Of course, here in Texas, it's nothing to drive 50 miles one way for a good plate of BBQ

Anyway, thanks again all--I can see that I'll probably be spending hours here soaking up all this good wisdom.

JVC
Old 06-10-2013, 06:10 PM

Welcome and I found the forum thread I love best is "What did you do today to prepare..." I read it from page one when I was first here and kept a list of the "holy cow I never thought about THAT" things and the "now THERE'S a great idea" things. The people here are overall generous with their knowledge.

And by the way, welcome home and thank you for your service.