BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 AM

Default made me a tomahawk

Took a try at making a tomahawk this weekend. I ordered a cold steel frontier hawk, but I wanted something to trash up throwing and playing with while Im waiting for it to show up. This actually turned out very nice for the few hours work I have in it. Its steel plate I heated up a strip to make the loop for the handle, then cut the blade from a solid plate, and ground it semi sharp. I welded the loop to the blade cleaned it all up with a flap wheel. Then I torched the cutting edge a dull red and quenched it. Hit it with some gun blue and finished sharpening it. The handle is an old hickory sledge hammer handle that had snapped off at the head. I torched the handle lightly just to give it a nice patina. Its not the worlds best hawk, but considering it was free, itll be a good beater to practice with, and save wear on my good one.
Ive never tempered anything before, Im hoping I did it reasonably right. the edge definitely feels different on the file than before I heated it, and its holding quite a nice edge for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawk1.jpg (19.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg hawk2.jpg (20.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg hawk3.jpg (24.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
Took a try at making a tomahawk this weekend. I ordered a cold steel frontier hawk, but I wanted something to trash up throwing and playing with while Im waiting for it to show up. This actually turned out very nice for the few hours work I have in it. Its steel plate I heated up a strip to make the loop for the handle, then cut the blade from a solid plate, and ground it semi sharp. I welded the loop to the blade cleaned it all up with a flap wheel. Then I torched the cutting edge a dull red and quenched it. Hit it with some gun blue and finished sharpening it. The handle is an old hickory sledge hammer handle that had snapped off at the head. I torched the handle lightly just to give it a nice patina. Its not the worlds best hawk, but considering it was free, itll be a good beater to practice with, and save wear on my good one.
Ive never tempered anything before, Im hoping I did it reasonably right. the edge definitely feels different on the file than before I heated it, and its holding quite a nice edge for now.
Would have been easier to form the edge with a file, then get it close to sharp before quenching. As to quench a blade is to harden it. Your also surface hardening it that way, and then took the hardness off when you sharpened it. All in all nice work though. It will be lots of fun.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 AM

I put 98% of the edge on it before heating, It only needing some smoothing and finishing with a file and stone, everything else had been done with a grinding wheel and then an 80 grit flap wheel to clean it up. It really doesnt matter if it holds an awesome edge though, this one will be just a toy to throw at logs. Ill be giving it a test drive tonight after Ive let the bluing cure....
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM

Neat......
Post side by side pictures of the one you have ordered when you can.

Enjoy
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM

looks good, have fun. pitching stuff is great fun.

dean
Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 PM

Almost looks like what is known as a bearded axe/hatchet.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
Almost looks like what is known as a bearded axe/hatchet.
It does a bit. I liked the longer cutting surface of this design. Other hawks I saw had a flatter smaller ax head. The rain here has been absolutely incessant lately so I havent had time to throw it at all. My store bought version is scheduled to show up tommorow. and Ill be doing some mods on that one right out of the box. My little workshop here has been very busy of late!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Did some throwing today. Got the hang of it alot quicker than I expected. Excited enough to make a crappy you tube vid of a few throws (and one miss). Check it out. If you watch it slow mo that miss would have been a hit if there had been wood there for it to hit. Ill be working on a better target tommorow.
Too much fun!

http://youtu.be/jai1CV1R3Pk
Old 07-07-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post

Nice work.
I still have one from when I was a kid. I think grandpa called it "his shingle hatchet".