BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM

Default My new (illegal?) edc knife.......

Picked up this Microtech ultratech 122-se auto knife. This is a cut above (pardon the pun) any knife Ive ever owned. Although its in brand new condition I got it at a very, very reasonable price considering its almost 250 dollar retail. I need a clear answer since Ive checked 100 different websites, and cannot find one....Is this knife illegal for me to clip into my pocket and carry around in Ohio? Ive found it depends on the definitions of "open carry" and "deadly weapon". Which apparently are left purposely grey in order to prosecute as the government sees fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ultra5.jpg (11.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 AM

Yeah Ive seen that, but it doesnt answer the question because theres no concrete definition of what is or isnt considered a (non-firearm) deadly weapon. Some states have blade length laws that define this. As far as I can tell Ohio does not. Its left to the discretion of the police to decide. Also is clipped in my back pocket concealed? The top of the knife is clearly visible.
So is that open carry? If they want folks to follow laws they should make them at least understandable.....
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
Yeah Ive seen that, but it doesnt answer the question because theres no concrete definition of what is or isnt considered a (non-firearm) deadly weapon. Some states have blade length laws that define this. As far as I can tell Ohio does not. Its left to the discretion of the police to decide. Also is clipped in my back pocket concealed? The top of the knife is clearly visible.
So is that open carry? If they want folks to follow laws they should make them at least understandable.....
Afraid it is, what it is. Your going to have to write your Congressman for them to amend this and make a clear definition.

Likely it was left intentionally vague, let towns, cities, and counties sort it out for themselves. Does Ohio have a history of home rule cities?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM
Master Pontificator

One idea might be to find a gun rights group and get a referral to a pro gun attorney in your area and ask them, it may cost a couple hundred dollars in fees, but an arrest could run much higher
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post

Likely it was left intentionally vague, let towns, cities, and counties sort it out for themselves. Does Ohio have a history of home rule cities?
Exactly, crap like that drives me nuts.......I can walk down the street with a .45 clipped to my hip legally no question, but a pocketknife that flips open with a switch may be an issue, or may not depending on what city your in, and if someone has had a bad day, and decides to take it out on you. The law for open carry of handguns is pretty clear, why not make it equally clear for non firearm items. Is my swiss army knife in my pocket a concealed weapon? Whats the difference? Just silly....

Last edited by ejnovinsky; 07-11-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejnovinsky View Post
Exactly, crap like that drives me nuts.......I can walk down the street with a .45 clipped to my hip legally no question, but a pocketknife that flips open with a switch may be an issue, or may not depending on what city your in, and if someone has had a bad day, and decides to take it out on you. The law for open carry of handguns is pretty clear, why not make it equally clear for non firearm items. Is my swiss army knife in my pocket a concealed weapon? Whats the difference? Just silly....
Be glad ya'll have solved the open carry question. Mississippi just passed open carry and a judge put it on hold because "the law is vague". Now, at least in my area, the sheriff's are running around trying to get businesses to put signs on their doors forbidding pistols or revolvers per the statute. I haven't been able to read all the law but from the way it is written, that also applies to my concealed weapon. They are talking like it will be "like the Wild West". They seem to think that felons will take advantage and openly carry and the sheriffs are worried that they will lose "control".

Now, my pocket knife, I just don't mention it and usually I don't clip it to the edge of my pocket because it rides better in the bottom of the pocket.