BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 07-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Long Bows

Thinking about buying a Rudder long bow:

http://www.rbows.com/gallery_hunting...y_flatbow.html

been at least 40 years since I last had a bow in my hand, so looking for a little advice:

Draw weight--I'm 66 yrs old, in fairly good shape--40-45lb, 45-50lb, or 50-55lb. My thinking is the mid weight Bow, and I'm assuming that arrow draw weight should be the same??? (these are poplar shafted arrows)

I am a right handed shooter--am I correct in thinking the arrow rest should be on the left or inside of the bow above the grip hand??

Realize that modern compound bows are technically superior, but I'm looking in this direction for the simplicity and aesthetics of the traditional bow--just want to make sure I'm not overloading myself on the draw weight.

JVC
Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Those bows are pretty for sure, but have you considered makin your own?
Its much easier than youd think.

To answer your questions. Yes a right handed shooter rests the arrow on the inside left of the bow.

Draw weight however is not as simple with a longbow. To judge your weight you need to know your draw length. Traditionally this measurement is from the arrow nock to the back of the bow at full draw. A bow that is a 45# draw at 28 inches draw will draw higher at 30 inches. Most states set their minimum draw to hunt at 40# I dont see much point in goin alot higher than that. The bow I built came out around 55# but with use it will settle in lower.

I prefer recurve and longbows myself. Though theres nothing wrong with compounds. They are a hoot to shoot.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

So... dumb noob question.

Does a recurve or long bow have enough power to adequately hunt deer... or defend against a bear?

Bows interest me, for marksmanship reasons and their silence (relative to .45s).
Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
So... dumb noob question.

Does a recurve or long bow have enough power to adequately hunt deer... or defend against a bear?

Bows interest me, for marksmanship reasons and their silence (relative to .45s).
absotively they do.....my Grandpa hunted black bears with a recurve bow occasionally. Dont know about using one in defense, if I wanted a defense weapon Id want it to shoot fast,be foolproof accurate, have a simple mechanism, and be able to wield it in close quarters effectively. Not to mention have plenty of power.
While bows have the power, and are simple things, the action of drawing one can be slow, and difficult to fire accurately while under duress> not to mention you need a fair bit of room. I couldnt imagine having to calmly nock an arrow, draw aim and fire as a bear ran at me. It would be neat thing to see someone do though. I like the Ruger mini-30 as a brush gun. short,simple, powerful, accurate, with capacity to cover a shaky aim, and a bomb proof action. Though its no where near silent