BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default F150 Natural Gas....

On the news they were saying Ford will produce a F150 that runs on compressed natural gas....... It is a lot cheaper than gasoline. Gasoline has about 145,000 btu per liquid gallon. I don't know the numbers for natural gas....... Where/how do you find places to fill up with a product like this ?? And at what price per gallon, or quibic foot ??

Could the system be made multi fuel ?? To run on propane also ??
The truck will also start out at $10,000 more than other models.....

Facts, details, thoughts ??
Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 AM

I saw the headline today, but did not read the details.
I'd sure like the option. NG or Propane.

I know that you get fewer (MPG?) miles with NG. Lower btu I believe.
The info I'll have to double check later.
It's a GREAT option if it just local driving and NG/Propane is at a lower cost.
Both burn much cleaner.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM

Natural gas has an octane rating of 130! That Ford will scat..........watch out chevy
Old 08-07-2013, 09:18 AM

Fork lifts used in warehouses run on propane. Natural gas is 97% methane, the rest is ethane & propane- it costs money & energy to isolate the propane but the natural gas does just as well as a fuel.

In the early 70s, the first collaboration between Fiat and Ferrari produced the Dino Fiat, later to become the Dino Ferrari when Ferrari sold out to Fiat. It had a simple switch on the carburetor so you could run on either gasoline or NG with no apparent loss of performance.

With the development of the fuel supplies in the northern plaines here, we have enough NG to supply our fuel needs for the next 600 yrs at least.

But "BigOil" owns that supply and it would make economic sense to them to use up their supply of liquid petroleum first before they go to the expense of building the infrastructure needed to deliver NG and re-fit filling stations.

It'll be a while before obtaining NG for vehicles becomes convenient or cheap.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 PM

The propane/methane octane advantage is only of value if you raise the compression ratio. At stock compression ratios the propane or methane fueled engine is at a 10% disadvantage to gasoline.

While natural gas and propane are cheaper and cleaner than gasoline, NG (methane) requires much more energy to compress it to useful storage volumes. Propane liquefies more easily. While some propane comes from natural gas, most of it comes as a byproduct of oil refining. Propane is widely distributed in a form that is much easier to adapt to transportation uses. Perhaps with the current glut of natural gas a cheap method will be devolved to synthesize propane from methane.

The down side is that as a vehicle fuel it will also be taxed... and it doesn't have an effective lobby like the ethanol industry. Unless ADM started distributing propane don't look for much help from Washington. I just purchased 20 pounds, which is about 4.75 gallons, of propane the other day for $18, . Thats about $3.78 per gallon... without the road tax. I'll stick with gasoline for now.

Some of the more adventuresome alt-fuel dudes in Australia are experimenting with direct LIQUID propane injection. You can use conventional injectors instead of larger and more expensive vapor injectors. The conversion I was planning would be to allow 11.5 to 1 compression in my 1600 cc Ford Kent that I have in my Triumph Spitfire.

paul