BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Antique Kenmore machine

I saw what I believe was an antique electric Kenmore sewing machine at Goodwill this evening. It seems to be made of cast iron and had a small motor on the back and was in a wooden cabinet. They wanted $80 for it and I'm seriously thinking of going back tomorrow and buying it if they'll hold it for me until Friday afternoon. Is this a good buy? I didn't even know Kenmore made machines and this one looks to be in excellent condition. What's your opinion, should I spend my money on it?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
I saw what I believe was an antique electric Kenmore sewing machine at Goodwill this evening. It seems to be made of cast iron and had a small motor on the back and was in a wooden cabinet. They wanted $80 for it and I'm seriously thinking of going back tomorrow and buying it if they'll hold it for me until Friday afternoon. Is this a good buy? I didn't even know Kenmore made machines and this one looks to be in excellent condition. What's your opinion, should I spend my money on it?
Thats a bit pricey(honestly way to much for it) (Goodwill has gotten way to big for is britches. for an old machine even in the cabinet.
Now they were good machines--no doubt.
My Mother had one.
Another 30.00 and you can buy a basic Brother at WM new.
(Go price them)And it would have a 90days warranty or you can buy a repair policy.
(Wm has a new policy on returning electronic appliances)

And you'd need to be able to sit down with thread and material and try it---that aint happening.
The tensions could be bumped and out of line(no telling how it was tossed around.
There could be bobbins(internal) case problems.

Its up to you of course----

I wish I was closer--didnt know you sewed--I have a hard working older singer--thats a sweetie--but alas we're so far apart.

Dont know if that helped but seriously---$80.00 is a lot of money for a headache.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 AM

Thanks Anne. I just thought it might be a collectors item since it seems to be made from cast iron. I've never seen anything like it in all of my 63 years. I do have a modern electric machine but this old Kenmore was just so fascinating that I thought it might be worth something. It was in the Julia's Attic portion of the Goodwill we were at which explains the higher price as that's where they put the collector's items and the like. I'll tell my daughter what you said as she would have to take me over there to buy it and bring it home. I wanted to go back tomorrow instead of Friday but if you think that's way to much to pay I'll probably just pass on it. I can use that money at HEB instead, or at least part of it. lol
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
Thanks Anne. I just thought it might be a collectors item since it seems to be made from cast iron. I've never seen anything like it in all of my 63 years. I do have a modern electric machine but this old Kenmore was just so fascinating that I thought it might be worth something. It was in the Julia's Attic portion of the Goodwill we were at which explains the higher price as that's where they put the collector's items and the like. I'll tell my daughter what you said as she would have to take me over there to buy it and bring it home. I wanted to go back tomorrow instead of Friday but if you think that's way to much to pay I'll probably just pass on it. I can use that money at HEB instead, or at least part of it. lol
You know MYR, I have seen alot of that in thrift stores.
And they seldom have a authority in-store that knows these things.
The cabinet may be worth more than the machine.
If you wanted it as an investment----of course its your call.

I am with you tho--in todays economy--$80.00 will buy some stores or stick the money back and take advantage of sales.
Good luck my friend.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:38 PM

Well Anne I've got the one I bought something like last January and DD just ordered a Brother off Amazon for about that much money.
If this one at Goodwill didn't work I'm sure I could see the head for scrap metal at the recyclers though I don't know what they're paying for scrap cast iron. And as you said the cabinet may be worth more than the machine. I also remembered last night that I didn't see a foot pedal and didn't check for a pull down knee pedal so I haven't the slightest idea how this one would be worked. lol It did have a box of bobbins though and something on a note about a #16 needle.
Will discuss it with DD but as things stand now I don't think I'll be buying it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM

I also don't think Kenmore held value like an old Singer or a few other brands. If it sewed like a dream it would be worth it. But without being able to give her a try, don't know I would spend that much on her.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 PM

I think many model Kenmore machines are Singer.........
Not sure which ones.

The old Kenmore I had was a late 60s, early 70s Singer twin. And it ran great.... I had to give it a detailed cleaning, lube and adjustment.

But then, I only had $5 in the machine and cabinet. And another $1.50 for the belt.....

I also have to say, that is way too much money. Even if it is ready to use...

Keep looking.
Good luck
Old 09-01-2013, 07:25 PM

As I said, DD and I both have a modern, though not fancy, electric machine so we didn't even go back over there on Friday. Hit a different Goodwill instead and found a few things.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM

Just found this thread, and, MYR, I'm relieved you didn't spend the $80 on it! Check out ebay for old sewing machines and you'll see many different types and prices. It'll also give you a good idea what that one might have been worth.

Of course, as the "one that got away" it'll be extra worthy and shiny in your memories, if you're anything like me!