BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default ATV Advise needed

Hey All........

Have been looking around a little, not real hard, but paying attention to stuff. And found a 2004 Polaris 330 Magnum. It has 1500 miles on it, everything works, and it is in VERY good shape. It has the Hi-Lo range transmission. Asking $2000.oo but will go a little lower.

Anyone with experience, advice ?

Soon
Wyo
Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Hey All........

Have been looking around a little, not real hard, but paying attention to stuff. And found a 2004 Polaris 330 Magnum. It has 1500 miles on it, everything works, and it is in VERY good shape. It has the Hi-Lo range transmission. Asking $2000.oo but will go a little lower.

Soon
Wyo
It wouldn't be for me, as it's no secret that Polaris, ESPECIALLY older models have LOT'S of reliability problems. I could go on and on about this, but i'll spare you all of that... lol

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:55 PM

I got my hands on a no-name 425 quad with 63 miles on it for 1/2 that price. A field office was closing and they didn't want to haul it back to Calgary, so I picked it up. So far the only down side that I can find is that it is made in R.O.C., but the only thing I had to do was put in a decent spark plug and readjust the shift linkage. It was just slapped together so checking or changing the oil is a bit of a challenge, but it has been a good work horse.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM

I would stay far away from that deal. As DM stated Polaris had MAJOR issues and in my opinion they still do compared to the other models out there. I have had many, many quads over the years to work on the farm and without a doubt Honda is the way to go. They last forever and are as reliable as they come. No belt drive, which I didn't like at all on the Rhino I had.
Hondas may not have the newest gadget on it but Honda R&D's things to death and won't just slap something on their quads just because the competition did. T
I just bought a nice 2008 Foreman with power steering and it is a great Bbike.

I also still have my first Honda quad. it is a 1988 300 fourtrax 4wd . It has to have 30,000 miles on it. We STILL use it daily ( since 1988) and we finally changed the original spark plug in it just a few years ago.

Not sure where in Mn. you live but here is a pretty nice rancher from the St.Paul area. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...901696394.html

Last edited by ktm rider; 08-21-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Master Pontificator

Polaris, run run very fast and don't look back.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM

I've got an 2005 Portsman 500 HO . The only thing I put in it was a starter, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 PM

I have a 2000 Polaris 325 magnum great machine never had any problems.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't be for me, as it's no secret that Polaris, ESPECIALLY older models have LOT'S of reliability problems. I could go on and on about this, but i'll spare you all of that... lol
I've heard that a LOT.....from those who never had one.
My 1995 400 Sportsman, 1997 400 Express and 2002 500 Sportsman HO all run fine, with NO problems ever other than routine maintenance
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
I've heard that a LOT.....from those who never had one.
My 1995 400 Sportsman, 1997 400 Express and 2002 500 Sportsman HO all run fine, with NO problems ever other than routine maintenance
I never had one because my good friend owns a Yamaha dealership and in the past his mechanics worked on all makes and models for a while. Every time I walked back to the mechanics area there were Polaris' everywhere. He said if it wasn't for Polaris he would have to lay off atleast one mechanic.

He finally got tired of the inability to get parts in a timely manner and quit working on them.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Every time I walked back to the mechanics area there were Polaris' everywhere
Part of that is because Polaris has made SO MANY over the years,(since 1985) and having worked at a Polaris dealer, I can honestly tell you MOST repairs are from DAMAGE caused by abuse rather than mechanical "failures".

Like I said, I own three, with the oldest being a 1995 model, and none have had any problems that I didn't cause myself
Old 10-16-2013, 12:48 AM

WOW...... I guess I didn't follow up on this.....

I did buy the ATV..... And I have had to put a little bit into it.....
A new air cleaner element.
A battery.
A bearing in the rear axle.....
All amounted to about $200.

I can throw a rock from my place to the ATV trail.... I have used it to do short trips around the area.... Many trips to town, to the power toy store and bait shop to pet the cat..... There is always free coffee 24/7....... The two young women that own it are my down the lane a ways neighbors..... We are 2 of 3 year round residents on this end of the lake.....

They ride there ATVs to work every day they can.... Several times they have ask if I can take my tractor up the trail to remove trees that have fallen across the trail... The local ATV club does maintain the trails, but not always can in a timely manor...... I have scored a couple jars of good salsa and apple butter as well as the coffee.......

I've put about 300 or so miles on it so far.... As I get older, I can see where a side by side machine with a seat better than a saddle will be the way to go...... Someday.....

Enjoy
Old 10-16-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
Part of that is because Polaris has made SO MANY over the years
They haven't out sold Honda or Yamaha far that matter, yet Polaris outnumbered them dramatically in his mechanics area.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm rider View Post
They haven't out sold Honda or Yamaha far that matter, yet Polaris outnumbered them dramatically in his mechanics area.
Actually Yamaha isn't even in the top 10:

Honda is number 6
Polaris is number 9

http://www.motor-scooters.com/top10atvbrands.html

I just know what I saw from several years of working at a dealer, and owning them for nearly 20 years.

Mine all still run fine
Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM

Where did you find that top 10 list? It has to be in no particular order, Seriously, Alphasports sells those cheap Chinese knockoffs and Argo are those 6 wheeled amphibs, and do you really think Argo has outsold both Honda and Polaris?

Here are actual sales percentages by year: ( sans the chinese crap)

1995: Honda 30%, Yamaha 26%, Polaris 25%, Kawasaki 12%, Suzuki 7%, Arctic Cat 0%, Bombardier NA

1996: Honda 31%, Yamaha 23%, Polaris 27%, Kawasaki 11%, Suzuki 8%, Arctic Cat 0%, Bombardier NA

1997: Honda 31%, Yamaha 24%, Polaris 26%, Kawasaki 10%, Suzuki 7%, Arctic Cat 2%, Bombardier NA

1998: Honda 30%, Yamaha 25%, Polaris 28%, Kawasaki 9%, Suzuki 5%, Arctic Cat 3%, Bombardier NA

1999: Honda 30%, Yamaha 25%, Polaris 27%, Kawasaki 9%, Suzuki 5%, Arctic Cat 4%, Bombardier NA

2000: Honda 32%, Yamaha 26%, Polaris 26%, Kawasaki 7%, Suzuki 5%, Arctic Cat 5%, Bombardier NA

2001: Honda 33%, Yamaha 26%, Polaris 24%, Kawasaki 6%, Suzuki 4%, Arctic Cat 6%, Bombardier 2%

2002: Honda 30%, Yamaha 25%, Polaris 25%, Kawasaki 7%, Suzuki 4%, Arctic Cat 7%, Bombardier 2%

2003: Honda 31%, Yamaha 21%, Polaris 21%, Kawasaki 9%, Suzuki 11%, Arctic Cat 5%, Bombardier 3%

2004: Honda 31%, Yamaha 22%, Polaris 22%, Kawasaki 7%, Suzuki 9%, Arctic Cat 7%, Bombardier 2%

2005: Honda 30%, Yamaha 21%, Polaris 21%, Kawasaki 8%, Suzuki 10%, Arctic Cat 7%, Bombardier 3%

2006: Honda 30%, Yamaha 21%, Polaris 21%, Kawasaki 7%, Suzuki 9%, Arctic Cat 8%, Bombardier 4%

Last edited by ktm rider; 10-16-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM

We eventually need to get an ATV for our rural property. All the locals have 'em, and the more time we spend there, the more we can understand how useful they are.

Our neighbor has let us use his occassionally. Both are Hondas IIRC.

That was my first experience on an ATV, although I drove minibikes and motorcycles as a kid.

The only thing I didn't like was the throttle. Rather than the twist throttle I remember, there's a lever mounted to the handlebar.

I think I can understand the reasoning for it, having accidentally throttled a minibike or two going over rough terrain, but I find it uncomfortable and unnatural.

Is the lever throttle common across all makes of ATVs? Are there any alternatives?

I have pretty strong and well-worked arms, wrists and hands, and just driving the neighbor's ATV for a little while makes my wrist sore manipulating that throttle.

I think I'd rather have a twist throttle, or even a pedal throttle like a car.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Your data shows Polaris outselling Yamaha much of the time

I'm not sure why you'd ask where I found my information when I posted the link, but there's no link for yours

In the end, it doesn't change the fact that most of the folks who talk bad about Polaris have never really owned one, and just parrot what others have said
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I think I'd rather have a twist throttle, or even a pedal throttle like a car.
I think I've seen some conversions for some bikes, and they also make extensions which make the thumb throttles easier to reach and manipulate.

Once you get used to them, they aren't as bad as they first seem, and if you do very much fast and rough riding, you'll soon see why they build tehm that way
Old 10-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Hey All........

Soon
Wyo
I like the Hondas... friends of mine been ATV-ing for 10 or 12 years...have owned 8 or 10 different machines, they finalized on owning 4 Hondas, two Ranchers and two Foremen...so I bought two Ranchers for us...still early days, but they are fun and flawless so far.

Dennis G