BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-10-2013, 10:22 PM

Default What to choose...Bow, Crossbow or compound bow

First of all we are on a limited income, but we are looking into buying one or the other for our home. My husband is disabled but good upper body strength. I am 58 years old with limited strength. This weapon would be for both of us. We understand that we would need to practice a lot and we look forward to that. What would be a good choice...keeping in mind price and accuracy. Any brands? This addition to the home would be used to keep food on the table (medium size game and deer size). Any other sites you would recommend to look at?? Thanks for all of your help. We are looking for someone like Massad Ayoob to guide us!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:21 PM

My choice would be a crossbow,ideal for a disabled person and also a woman. They cock quite easy with a string cocker or a mechanical cocker. If you are able to shoot a gun you can shoot a crossbow with practice. I feel a bow or compound bow has a greater learning curve to get good with it. I say this from experience as I shot tournament years ago. I now hunt with a crossbow due to a shoulder injury. As far as make stay with brand names; Barnett, Horton, 10 Point or any of the other brand names.

Hope my 2 cents helped you.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgp7799 View Post
My choice would be a crossbow,ideal for a disabled person and also a woman. They cock quite easy with a string cocker or a mechanical cocker. If you are able to shoot a gun you can shoot a crossbow with practice. I feel a bow or compound bow has a greater learning curve to get good with it. I say this from experience as I shot tournament years ago. I now hunt with a crossbow due to a shoulder injury. As far as make stay with brand names; Barnett, Horton, 10 Point or any of the other brand names.

Hope my 2 cents helped you.
tgp7799 I saw this one http://blackfriday.com/stores/gander...friday/page-13 or their regular price http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ckage&i=611245 in the Gander Mountain Black Friday sale add 100 off sounds like a good one what is your opinion? How important is the kinetic energy and feet per sec (fps) ratings? I noticed the higher the price the more both of these go up. If your using the crossbow for self defense what is the minimum recommendations? Thanks
Old 11-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Thanks Ciderman. We have both been leaning toward the crossbow. He is is pretty good shape. Except for chronic pain issues and a messed up back. He is more worried that I could not handle one. He does not know that I use to shoot a bow in my younger days. I will look up Gander Mountain later tonight.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

A crossbow is the only practical option for multiple users
A regular or compound bow needs to FIT an individual, but a crossbow isn't limited in such a way
Old 11-13-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
tgp7799 I saw this one http://blackfriday.com/stores/gander...friday/page-13 or their regular price http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ckage&i=611245 in the Gander Mountain Black Friday sale add 100 off sounds like a good one what is your opinion? How important is the kinetic energy and feet per sec (fps) ratings? I noticed the higher the price the more both of these go up. If your using the crossbow for self defense what is the minimum recommendations? Thanks
Ciderman, 10 point makes a very good bow. Speed and kinetic are in my opinion is not quite as important as the broad head you use. Archery hunting relies on cutting and not shock power as a gun would. Speed and kinetic is also determined by overall weight of the bolt (arrow). A lighter bolt will be faster than a heavier one. When you get a crossbow the paper work will tell you the optimum bolt and broad head weight.

Hope this answers your questions.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
A crossbow is the only practical option for multiple users
A regular or compound bow needs to FIT an individual, but a crossbow isn't limited in such a way

That is a very good point and I forgot to mention it.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Master Pontificator

tgp7799 thanks.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgp7799 View Post
That is a very good point and I forgot to mention it.
I started shooting bows when I was around 10 years old, with a Bear 25 lb recurve, then went to a 45 lb recurve.

My first compound was in the 70's, a Bear Whitetail Hunter

My current bow is a PSE Polaris
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM

It has been years since I drew an arrow so I'm not claiming any expertise whatsoever.

If you can watch youtube videos I think your archery world will be shaken up by watching this guy.

http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-l...covers-anc.php

WOW!!!!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 AM

Excellent question & responses.

It's been 40 yrs since I shot a bow- used to hunt varmints & fish with a re-curved bow, 48lb as I recall. I was a pretty good shot.

Now I see all this hi tech pullies and such. I want to start up again- mostly for self defense purposes when TSHTF. I like the idea of a bow's silence and you can make your own arrows if need be when manufactured ammo runs out.

But my question is- is all the complexity of the new hi tech bows worth the advantage when quickness. mobility, stealth & sustainability are major factors?
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
But my question is- is all the complexity of the new hi tech bows worth the advantage when quickness. mobility, stealth & sustainability are major factors?
If you want "rapid fire" capabilities and less noise, go with a traditional longbow or recurve.

Compounds are superior for hunting due to the reduced holding weight, and generally faster arrow speeds at lighter draw weights

Making arrows 'can" be done, it's not practical if they are going to be used with very powerful bows or you realy need accuracy

I remember when Cedar was all there was, and I'd never want to go back to wooden arrows
Old 11-16-2013, 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone. I am getting alot of good information here. This will be a good day to go shopping. I am not buying yet, but there is a couple of local stores I want to check out. Has anyone purchased from a good pawn store? What should I look for there???